This Orange Julius recipe is creamy and sweet with the perfect mixture of vanilla and orange flavors! Make this copycat recipe at home for a delicious orange smoothie for breakfast or an afternoon treat.
I was a teenage mall rat and always made a trip to the food court. This Orange Julius recipe is so close to the original with just a few basic ingredients and a blender.
My husband always has to get one when we go to the mall in Halifax. He said it was pretty darn close to the original too! This simple recipe is just orange juice concentrate, milk, powdered sugar, vanilla extract, water, and ice cubes!
I love to make this Orange Julius recipe with my Grandma’s Cinnamon Coffee Cake for a super sweet breakfast treat.
I bet you have all these Orange Julius ingredients in your kitchen right now! I tried using orange juice instead of concentrate, and it doesn’t have as strong of a flavor without the frozen can.
- Frozen orange juice concentrate
- Powdered sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Ice cubes
The ingredients may make you wonder a bit. Milk and orange juice together? I know, but trust me, it works.
This recipe makes one serving so you’ll have to double or triple the recipe if you are serving more people.
What I used for my Orange Julius
This post contains affiliate links.
- Blender: This blender is great for making smoothies or mixing sauces. It’s big enough for a few batches, too!
- Ice cube trays: We don’t have an ice maker and these trays are lifesavers! No shattered ice cubes here.
- Straws: You can’t drink this thick smoothie (easily) without a straw! I love these reusable straws because they’re fun to look at and help save the environment.
How to Make Orange Julius
Who remembers hanging out at the mall when you were a teen and sipping on an Orange Julius? I spent my weekends at the local mall and I think I had one of these creamy cold drinks on every visit.
Those were the days when I didn’t have to worry about my waistline! Now, it’s a sweet indulgence every once in a while. I can save money by making them at home with this simple recipe.
- This recipe is just one simple step! First, blend everything BUT the ice cubes, then add one ice cube at a time and pulse until everything is smooth. That’s it!
You’ll end up with a creamy, delicious, and perfectly citrusy drink to enjoy. You can also top this with a dollop of whipped cream for a little extra sweetness.
History of Orange Julius
The original Orange Julius recipe first was created in the late 1920s. The traditional ingredients are ice, orange juice, a sweetener, milk, powdered egg whites, and vanilla.
This copycat recipe includes a few of those same ingredients, but leaves out the powdered egg whites. I’ve never seen powdered egg whites sold in stores, have you? Powdered egg whites are actually the “secret ingredient” in the original recipe.
Now you can buy Orange Julius at your local Dairy Queen! I guess they are expanding their empire.
The Best Sweet Drink Recipes
Looking for more sweet drinks to enjoy? Check out these recipes.
- Strawberry Vanilla Smoothie: Thick, creamy and healthy. You may be surprised by the ingredients!
- Mocha Coconut Frappuccino: Tastes just like the one at Starbucks. Warning – you’ll want one every day!
- Pretty in Pink Punch: Tastes like summer with a refreshing blend of pink lemonade and strawberry daiquiri mix!
- Caramel Coffee Milkshake: Satisfy your sweet tooth + get your caffeine fix! This milkshake is so yummy.
Other amazing recipes to try…
- The Best Veggies in Smoothies
- Homemade Orange Extract
- Grapefruit Smoothie Bowl
- Orange Creamsicle Salad
- Apple Spice Smoothie
Do you have any amazing drink recipes? I’m always looking for more recipes to try! Follow me on Instagram @simplystacieblog, on Facebook at Simply Stacie, and on Pinterest @SimplyStacie and let me know how you liked this and my other recipes!
- 3/4 cup frozen orange juice concentrate, unsweetened
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup of powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 8 ice cubes
- Add the ingredients into a blender and blend for a few minutes. Then add in your ice cubes one at a time and blend again.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1.5 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 302Total Fat: 2.8gSaturated Fat: 1.7gTrans Fat: 0.1gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 12.3mgSodium: 121.3mgCarbohydrates: 58gFiber: 1gSugar: 54.1gProtein: 10.5g