BBQ Chicken Pizza is a fun way to switch up pizza night. Save your money and skip ordering takeout- for an incredible homemade barbeque chicken pizza at home.
Pizza is one of those meals where it’s easy to be creative. You need your basic crust, sauce, cheese, and toppings. It’s fun to mix and match all these elements and see what you can come up with. I enjoy experimenting when I cook. Sometimes, it works out perfectly while other dinners are a complete flop! This BBQ Chicken Pizza is the former! We all loved it.
BBQ Chicken Pizza
If you are wondering what is bbq chicken pizza, it is where you will use barbeque sauce to replace the sauce of the pizza. If you are a fan of bbq sauce, then you might truly enjoy this recipe. It is unique in flavor, bold, zesty and one recipe I have made over and over again.
What is the Best Barbeque Sauce for BBQ Chicken Pizza
To be honest, you can use any of your favorite barbeque sauces you like. Just make sure that you like the flavor of the sauce you use, as it will be one flavor that really stands out. I found a sauce that was on sale and it worked great. Thicker bbq sauces will hold up better than thinner.
Can I Swap Out the Cheddar Cheese on BBQ Chicken Pizza
If you don’t have cheddar cheese, you can use mozzarella or marble cheese. When I made this pizza for supper, there were no leftovers. I’m not surprised though. It’s so good! You can also use bagged cheese that is pre-shredded or grab a grater and grate your own off the block. It is all about what you prefer in terms of flavor.
Is the Chicken Pre-Cooked for the Chicken Pizza
Yes. You want to use pre-cooked chicken for your pizza. Since it only cooks in the oven for a short time, you will want to have it precooked. You can cook up boneless breasts or tenderloins to cut up, or buy it pre-cooked at the store. Just aim to buy or make chicken that has minimal seasoning on it.
What is the Best Onion to Use for Pizza
You will find most pizza recipes reach for a red onion. The reason being is red onions offers a nice punch of flavor in each bite. Now, you can reach for a white onion if you want tamer flavor. Or if you are not a fan of onions, then simply leave them off the pizza.
Looking for More Pizza Inspired Recipes
- Pizza Dip | Get all the incredible flavors of pizza in a dip form. This is cheesy, warm, and seriously a winning dish to serve up. Whether it is a game day party food or holiday snack, it works!
- Easy Pizza Cake | Layers and layers of pizza goodness stacked on top of each other. This is something that will be a crowd stopper because the presentation is incredible.
- Pizza Wonton Cups | An appetizer or fun weeknight meal to change up the meal. These crispy wonton cups are stuffed full of sauce and pizza toppings and baked to perfection.
Who Invented BBQ Chicken Pizza
It is said that the first showcase of the famous BBQ chicken pizza was at the California Pizza Kitchens. They are the first to have this pizza combination on record. Since then the world has begun enjoying this recipe and more restaurants have placed this variety of pizza on their menus as well.
How to Store Leftover BBQ Chicken Pizza
To store your pizza, just allow it to cool down, and then place in an airtight container or sealable bag. Store in the fridge for up to three days. After that, you will want to toss out any leftovers you have or use your best judgment.
Best Way to Reheat Leftover Chicken Pizza
Chicken pizza can dry out rather easy since chicken is a delicate meat. You can either zap in the microwave for a quick reheat, eat cold, or do stovetop. For the stovetop method place your pizza crust down in a skillet, and turn the stove on low. Allow it to slowly reheat your pizza so it warms it all the way through without burning the bottom of the crust.
Once warm serve and enjoy. I have found this to be the best way for chicken-based pizza. The oven tends to over-cook the chicken as it warms up.
Have you ever used barbecue sauce on a pizza?
- 1 Pillsbury Pizza Crust (or your own homemade pizza crust or other brand of refrigerated pizza crust)
- ¾ cup barbecue sauce
- 1 cup cooked chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 5 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Prepare the pizza crust according to package directions. For the Pillsbury Pizza Crust I used, I greased a pizza pan and spread the dough to fit. Then I pre-baked for 8 minutes in a 400°F oven.
- Spread barbecue sauce over pizza crust, leaving a gap around the edge.
- Evenly distribute green pepper, onions, chicken and bacon over the sauce. Then top with cheddar cheese.
- Bake an additional 7 to 10 minutes or until crust is golden and cheese is melted.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 465Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 48mgSodium: 1061mgCarbohydrates: 58gFiber: 2gSugar: 14gProtein: 21g