If you’ve never heard of pizza rolls, then you’ve been missing out. These soft and buttery crescent rolls are the perfect antidote for a bad day and are filled with gooey melted cheese and perfectly crispy pepperoni slices.
Throw in some trusty pizza dipping sauce on the side and you have an impressive appetizer that’ll please everyone from tiny tykes to professional guests. Yup – they’re that good!
The picky eaters in my family have always loved pizza. With its stringy cheese, slightly sweet tomato sauce, and soft base, it’s a reliable staple that consistently goes down a treat. If I’m being honest, we’d have it every night if we could. But I’m not entirely sure that my waistline could handle it!
I first tried these yummy pizza rolls when I had leftover crescent roll dough in the fridge. They were perfectly brown on the outside and the melted cheese oozed out of the ends like a dream. And the savory and salty kick from the slices of pepperoni? World-class.
If the taste wasn’t enough to push you to try these bite-sized wonders, perhaps the simplicity of the recipe will! All you need to do is wrap pepperoni slices and a cheese stick in a few crescent roll triangles. Then, pop them in the oven for a few minutes until they’re soft and gooey!
You can fill them out with other toppings if you like (pineapple or bell peppers are my favorite alternatives) but the base recipe is always a winner.
If you want to make them less of an appetizer and more of a main, I suggest whipping up a simple salad or a side of delicious potatoes. This should give you the bulk you need for the perfect lunch or dinner that will please the whole brood.
Oh, and you’ll want to make a couple of batches as they’re bound to go like hotcakes. Trust me on that one!
Why You’ll Love These Pizza Rolls
- They’re incredibly easy to make.
- They require just a few simple ingredients that you can find at any grocery store.
- They’re perfect for the whole family.
- Ideal for parties and weeknight dinners.
- Refrigerated crescent rolls. I use one can of Pillsbury crescent roll dough.
- Pepperoni slices. Buy the pepperoni slice or slice it thin yourself.
- Mozzarella cheese sticks. You can buy the cheese sticks or use a brick of mozzarella cheese that you’ve cut into chunks.
- Pizza sauce. Used for dipping
- Italian seasoning. Used as an optional garnish.
How to Make Pizza Rolls
- Step One: Preheat oven to 375F. Separate the crescent roll dough along perforations into 8 triangles.
- Step Two: Place 3 pepperoni slices on the shortest side of each triangle. Top with a mozzarella stick.
- Step Three: Roll up crescent rolls starting at the side with pepperoni and cheese. Place on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Step Four: Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with heated pizza sauce.
I love how simple these pizza rolls are, and you’ll only need a few pieces of trusty equipment to make the magic happen!
This post contains affiliate links.
What to Serve with Pizza Rolls
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- Leave a bit of space between each roll to give them room to expand in the oven. This will prevent your rolls from getting stuck together!
- If you want crisper edges, leave your rolls to bake for 3 or 4 minutes extra. Be careful not to overload your rolls with fillings.
- I know it’s tempting, but you need to be careful that your filling isn’t bursting out of the edges of your rolls. Otherwise, you’ll be dealing with burnt cheese and collapsed rolls!
- If you need to make more, it’s extremely easy to double or triple the quantities for this recipe. Just remember to keep the amount of filling in each roll relatively equal.
Variations and Substitutions
- You can fill your pizza rolls with literally anything that takes your fancy. Veggies, pineapple, ham, ground beef – anything goes!
- You can add a hint of hot sauce to your pizza sauce if you adore spice.
- Don’t be afraid to add a small amount of blue cheese to each roll if you’re cooking for adults. They’ll love the rich flavor and gooey meltiness!
- I’ve put Italian seasoning as an optional addition to these rolls, but they really lift the dish. So, add them if you can!
- In a pinch, you can use frozen pizza dough to make this recipe.
Pizza rolls can be stored for up to 4 days in the fridge if wrapped in plastic wrap or placed in airtight containers.
To reheat them, place your rolls on a baking sheet and heat them in the oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for around 10 minutes.
Can I Freeze?
You can freeze baked pizza rolls for up to 3 months. But you should keep them in separate bags to avoid them going mushy or getting freezing burn.
Craving more pizza recipes? I’ve got several you will love.
- Seafood Pizza: Serve this easy recipe as a holiday appetizer or as a main course paired with a green salad.
- Pizza Tater Tot Casserole: This comforting casserole has three layers of goodness. Use your favourite pizza toppings to create the perfect family meal.
- Pizza Cake: This five layer cake is a real showstopper and pizza lover’s dream! Surprisingly, it’s not that hard to make with the right tools.
- Pizza Burgers: Loaded to the max with all your favourite pizza toppings. Take one bite and you’ll see why my family raves about these delicious burgers!
- Pizza Wonton Cups: An easy appetizer baked in a crispy wonton shell and full of cheesy pizza goodness. Try them once and they may become an instant family favourite!
- Pizza Hot Dogs – American classics combine! Swap the traditional toppings for marinara sauce, mozzarella cheese, and pepperoni.
If you make the recipe, rate it on the recipe card below and tag me on Instagram and use #simplystacie. I like sharing the photos on my Instagram stories!
- 1 can refrigerated crescent rolls
- 24 pepperoni slices
- 4 sticks mozzarella cheese, cut in half
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce
- Italian seasoning, for garnish if desired
- Preheat oven to 375F. Separate crescent roll dough along perforations into 8 triangles.
- Place 3 pepperoni slices on the shortest side of each triangle. Top with a mozzarella stick.
- Roll up crescent rolls starting at the side with the pepperoni and cheese. Place on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with heated pizza sauce.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 92Total Fat: 6.5gSaturated Fat: 3.1gTrans Fat: 0.1gUnsaturated Fat: 2.6gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 275.9mgCarbohydrates: 3.2gFiber: 0.4gSugar: 0.9gProtein: 4.9g