This Sour Cream Chicken Bake is creamy, cheesy comfort food. This easy chicken casserole is smothered in a rich sour cream sauce and loads of cheddar cheese. Make it for an easy weeknight meal to feed your family.
I always have chicken breasts on hand because of their versatility and affordability. Plus, it’s one of the only protein sources that my picky daughter will eat. It’s like a blank canvas just waiting for me to create something delicious to eat.
With the chilly weather upon us, I want comfort food. Casseroles and bakes are on the menu quite a bit during the colder months in my home. I like them because they are easy to make and hard to mess up. They aren’t pretty to look at, but they taste yummy. I think that’s the most important thing anyways.
In this Sour Cream Chicken Bake, the chicken breasts are baked in a sour cream mushroom sauce. Serve it with some rice so you can sop up all that yummy sauce.
If you want to make it lower carb, don’t dredge the chicken in the flour mixture.
The full printable recipe card with measurements and instructions is found at the bottom of the post.
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- All-purpose flour
- Sour cream
- Cream of mushroom soup
- Cheddar cheese
- Fresh chives
How to Make Sour Cream Chicken Bake
- Step One: Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Step Two: In a small bowl, stir together flour, paprika, salt and pepper. Roll the chicken breasts in the flour mixture and place in a 9×13 inch casserole dish.
- Step Three: In another bowl, stir together sour cream, cream of mushroom soup and mushrooms. Pour over the chicken.
- Step Four: Remove from oven and sprinkle on cheddar cheese. Place back in oven until the cheese melts, about 5 minutes.
- Step Five: Add fresh chives on top for garnish, if desired.
Helpful Kitchen Tools
These kitchen tools will help you prepare this recipe.
This post contains affiliate links.
Chicken Casserole Recipes
You might also enjoy these mouthwatering chicken casserole recipes.
- Low Carb Chicken Divan: You won’t even miss the carbs! This comforting casserole has a creamy sauce made with chicken, broccoli, cheddar cheese and cauliflower rice.
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole: Filling and comforting without all the fuss of traditional Chicken Cordon Bleu.
- Chicken & Broccoli Casserole: A twist on my Mom’s classic recipe! Enjoy as a comfort food meal or a holiday side dish.
- Baked Chicken & Tarragon Pasta: This savoury casserole will easily feed a family of four. It’s a little on the spicy side, but oh so yummy!
- Chicken Shepherd’s Pie: Not your mama’s Shepherd Pie! This version is made with a creamy curry sauce that is out of this world. Topped with a heavenly layer of mashed potatoes and Parmesan cheese, this comfort food recipe will not last long. Mmm good.
You might also like Pizza Stuffed Chicken, Cast Iron Skillet Chicken Pot Pie, Hawaiian Chicken, Spicy Pepper Chicken, Slow Cooker Lemon Herb Chicken, Peking Chicken, Baked Chicken Parmesan, One-Pan Maple Dijon Chicken, Pineapple Teriyaki Chicken, No Peek Chicken or Russian Chicken.
What is your favourite comfort food chicken casserole recipe?
Sour Cream Chicken Bake
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup 284ml can
- 1 can sliced mushrooms 284ml can, drained
- 2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 tbsp fresh chives chopped, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a small bowl, stir together flour, paprika, salt and pepper. Roll the chicken breasts in the flour mixture and place in a 9×13 inch casserole dish.
- In another bowl, stir together sour cream, cream of mushroom soup and mushrooms. Pour over the chicken.
- Bake, uncovered, for 1 hour 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle on cheddar cheese. Place back in oven until the cheese melts, about 5 minutes.
- Add fresh chives on top for garnish, if desired.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.