Chicken and Broccoli Casserole is a great way to use leftover chicken. Combined with the broccoli and cheese, it is a family-pleasing main dish, served alongside a salad.
This easy casserole is a twist on my Mom’s classic recipe! Enjoy as a comfort food meal or a holiday side dish.
Disclosure: I was compensated for this post. All opinions on this blog are my own.
I was picking up groceries last week at Walmart and went to look for some chicken breasts. I was so happy to see the “Raised by a Canadian Farmer” logo on all the chicken products! I’ve been waiting for years for our local stores to get on board so it’s great to finally see! I had to grab a quick photo to show you what it looks like. You might have already seen this logo in stores, but it’s new to our little community.
I had a chicken recipe in mind for the holidays – a twist on my mom’s classic recipe. Every holiday dinner for as long as I can remember has included my Mom’s broccoli casserole. Even broccoli haters like this recipe.
I decided to take it up a notch and add some chicken making it a Chicken & Broccoli Casserole. Now it’s more of a main dish than a side dish, but that’s ok. It’s still yummy comfort food perfect for the cold weather. I’ll still serve it as a holiday side dish though.
The base of the recipe is broccoli florets, onions and cooked chicken. You could use leftover chicken if you like! I baked a few chicken breasts to use in the recipe and then just chopped them into small cubes.
The sauce is even more chicken – a savory, creamy mixture of Cream of Chicken Soup, milk, egg and mayonnaise. Pour it over top of your broccoli/chicken mixture.
The topping is pure deliciousness. It’s a blend of crushed Ritz crackers, melted butter and milk to create a buttery, crunchy crumble. I also added cheddar cheese on top to give it an extra punch of flavor. This dish is easy to make and so yummy to eat.
It’s best served hot which is why it comes out looking a bit messy on the plate. I couldn’t wait to eat it so I took my photos right away. I may have helped myself to a serving or two!
This is a great casserole to make when you have company and you want an easy meal to impress. It also can be a side dish at your holiday dinner table.
I enjoy taking classic family recipes and adding twists to them. Once you get the “framework” down, you can change them up as much as you like!
Why You’ll Love this Easy Chicken Broccoli Casserole Recipe
- Can be customizeded to your liking
- A nice hearty meal
- Easily store and eat later
- Perfect dinner for the whole family
- Great for holiday gatherings
Ingredients for Chicken & Broccoli Casserole
- Cooked chicken
- Can of cream of chicken soup
- Crushed Ritz crackers
- Cheddar cheese
How to Make Chicken & Broccoli Casserole
- Step One: Preheat oven to 350F.
- Step Two: Spread broccoli, chicken and onions over the bottom of a 9×13 casserole dish.
- Step Three: In a medium bowl, stir together soup, milk, mayonnaise and egg. Pour over the broccoli mixture
- Step Four: To make the topping: In a small bowl, mix together Ritz crackers, 1/4 cup milk and butter. Place crumble topping on top of baking pan. Top with cheese.
- Step Five: Bake 40 minutes until the topping is lightly browned. Serve hot.
This post contains affiliate links.
What To Serve With Broccoli and Chicken Casserole
- Parmesan Roasted Carrots
- Easy Air Fryer Asparagus Recipe
- Roasted Root Vegetables
- Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes
Variations and Substitutions
- Try adding cauliflower with the broccoli or substituting it.
- You can use different kinds of cheese such as mozzarella if you prefer.
- Try another flavor of cream soup such as mushroom.
- You can use dark meat chicken instead of chicken breast.
Place any leftovers in covered containers or cover the casserole dish and put them in the fridge. Eat within 3 days.
Can I Freeze?
Yes, you can freeze this casserole. Let it cool first and then place in freezer-safe containers and put it in the fridge for up to 3 months.
- Chicken Alfredo Pierogi Casserole
- Chicken Broccoli Biscuit Bake
- Chicken Asparagus Bake
- Baked Chicken and Tarragon Pasta
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
- Cast Iron Skillet Chicken Pot Pie
If you make the recipe, rate it on the recipe card below and tag me on Instagram and use #simplystacie. I like sharing the photos on my Instagram stories!
Chicken & Broccoli Casserole
- 2 cups cooked chicken chopped
- 1 head broccoli cut into florets
- 1 sweet onion chopped
- 1 can Cream of Chicken Soup 10.5oz/284ml can
- ¼ cup milk
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 large egg
- 1 ½ cup Ritz crackers crushed
- ¼ cup milk
- ¼ cup salted butter melted
- ¾ cup cheddar cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spread broccoli, chicken and onions over the bottom of a 9×13 inch casserole dish.
- In a medium bowl, stir together soup, milk, mayonnaise and egg. Pour over broccoli mixture
- To make the topping: In a small bowl, mix together Ritz crackers, ¼ cup milk and butter. Place crumble topping on top of baking pan. Top with cheese.
- Bake 40 minutes until the topping is lightly browned. Serve hot.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.