If you’re planning on serving a selection of veggies this Thanksgiving (or Christmas!), then you’ll adore this parmesan roasted carrots recipe.
The carrots always come out perfectly tender and deliciously golden, making them an ideal accompaniment for everything from roast potatoes to turkey and stuffing. Throw in the fresh thyme and uber-melty parmesan cheese, and it’s easy to see why I load my plate up with these bad boys every year!
And if I’m being honest, this recipe completely changed the game for me on carrots. Believe it or not, I despised carrots until I was around 20 years old. I thought they were “yucky” and refused to eat them even though my dad used to tell me they were great for my eyes. I wear glasses these days, so perhaps I should have listened!
I’ve always preferred my carrots on the softer side, but this recipe allows you to test the consistency of your veggies before turning off the oven. So, if you like your carrots on the crunchy side, simply take them out a few more minutes earlier. But between you and me – softer carrots are the way to go!
Whatever you decide to do, you’re bound to agree that this parmesan roasted carrots recipe is a beautiful and delicious side dish for any family meal.
Why You’ll Love These Parmesan Roasted Carrots
- They’re perfectly golden and crispy.
- They require so little prep time and are ready in minutes.
- They store well and are easy to reheat for round two!
- The delicate blend of herbs and parmesan cheese creates a rich and sharp flavor.
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Fresh thyme
- Parmesan cheese
How to Make Parmesan Roasted Carrots
- Step One: Preheat oven to 450F.
- Step Two: Grease a medium-sized casserole dish with cooking spray. Add carrots, olive oil, salt, pepper, and thyme in a bowl and toss to combine.
- Step Three: Place in casserole dish.
- Step Four: Roast the carrots uncovered for 8 minutes and then stir.
- Step Five: Put the carrots back in the oven for an additional 8 to 12 minutes, or until carrots are roasted to your desired tenderness.
- Step Six: Remove from oven and sprinkle on Parmesan cheese. Toss to combine. Serve hot.
You just need a few pieces of equipment to bring these parmesan-roasted carrots to life.
This post contains affiliate links.
What to Serve with Parmesan Roasted Carrots
- Mom’s Simple Stuffing for Turkey
- Broccoli Casserole
- Cheesy Corn Casserole
- How to Roast a Turkey
- Company Peas
- Stuffing Recipes
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- Spread your carrots out on a baking sheet with plenty of space between them. This prevents any of your sticks from overcooking or undercooking.
- Don’t forget to toss your carrots properly! You’ll want to make sure every single carrot stick is coated with the mixture of oil, pepper, fresh herbs, and parmesan for an even flavor.
- It’s important to stir the carrots halfway through for an even roast and a perfectly crispy exterior.
- You don’t need to peel the carrots beforehand. Simply wash the skins to remove dirt and any other nasties. You can peel them if you prefer!
- Take the time to chop the carrots evenly. If there’s a huge disparity between the size of each carrot baton, you might be in trouble!
Variations and Substitutions
- You can add a small amount of parsley to the mix or sprinkle it on top of your carrots for an extra herby kick!
- If you’re looking for something visually interesting, go for carrots with the stems still on (or baby carrots!). You may need to roast them for slightly longer, so bear this in mind.
- I prefer using crumbly and grated parmesan cheese for this recipe as it sticks way better to the carrots. If you can only find blocks, it’s best to whizz chunks through the food processor to achieve the same crumbly texture.
- For even crunchier carrots, try throwing a few tablespoons of panko breadcrumbs into the mix!
- If you enjoy cooking with butter, replace the olive oil in this recipe with an equivalent amount of melted, unsalted butter.
These delicious parmesan roasted carrots will last for up to 3 days in the fridge if stored in an airtight container.
But I honestly doubt they’ll last that long!
To reheat them, simply place them onto a baking sheet and warm them in the oven for 5 minutes at 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
Can I Freeze?
You can certainly freeze these parmesan-roasted carrots! Simply place them in freezer bags and store them for up to three months.
It’s best to defrost them overnight in the fridge before reheating them for the best results.
Just be aware that they might not have quite the same crunch as you’ll get straight out of the oven.
- Creamy Carrots – These rich and creamy carrots are the perfect side dish for Thanksgiving, Easter, Christmas, or a regular weeknight. Anything goes!
- Carrot Casserole – You’ll usually find me chowing down on this carrot casserole during the fall and winter months. It features a creamy, cheesy, and buttery filling that’s completely irresistible.
- Sweet and Sour Carrots – I adore serving these sweet and sour carrots with chicken or beef dishes as they complement savory eats perfectly!
- Cream of Carrot Soup – This velvety smooth cream of carrot soup pairs perfectly with a hunk of crusty bread for those chilly winter nights.
- Carrot Loaf – If you’re craving a slightly sweet and flavorful spice cake, then you need to give this incredible carrot loaf a whirl!
Follow me on Instagram @simplystacieblog, Facebook at Simply Stacie, TikTok @simplystacierecipes or Pinterest at @simplystacie and let me know how you liked this recipe and my other recipes.
If you make the recipe, rate it on the recipe card below and tag me on Instagram and use #simplystacie. I like sharing the photos on my Instagram stories!
Parmesan Roasted Carrots
Tender and perfectly roasted carrots topped with fresh thyme and melted Parmesan cheese. You’ll definitely want more than one scoop of this easy carrot side dish.
- Cooking spray
- 1 lb carrots, peeled and cut into sticks
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- 3 tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 450F. Grease a medium sized casserole dish with cooking spray. Add carrots, olive oil, salt, pepper and thyme in a bowl and toss to combine. Place in casserole dish.
- Roast, uncovered, for 8 minutes and then stir. Put back in the oven for an additional 8 to 12 minutes, or until carrots are roasted to your desired tenderness.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle on Parmesan cheese. Toss to combine. Serve hot.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 67Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 3mgSodium: 424mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 4gSugar: 4gProtein: 2g
Debbie White Beattie says
This dish looks so good that I saved it in my pinterest and I can’t wait to try it.
Is it a baking sheet or a casserole?!!
Stacie Vaughan says
I used a casserole dish.