If you’re a fan of savory recipes, this Slow Cooker 40 Clove Garlic Chicken is an absolute dream come true.
I completely get that 40 cloves of garlic might sound excessive. But the flavor isn’t overpowering and is subtle enough to give every single bite of chicken a hint of garlicky goodness.
And when you cook the garlic, it becomes tender, creamy, and sweet which just adds to the overall deliciousness! You can spread the cloves on the chicken, pop them in your mouth along with some potato, or eat them as-is.
Using chicken drumsticks in this recipe is always my go-to option as it keeps the meat tender and moist. You can use chicken breast if you like, but I’ve always found that it’s prone to drying out slightly on a slow cook.
Throw in the savory bouillon cubes, the fresh sprigs of thyme, and the sweet onion? Well, you’ll have a new midweek meal on your hands that you can’t wait to serve the entire family!
You’ll need to wait up to 10 hours to taste the fruits of your labor. But the melt-in-your-mouth chicken and sweet garlic bulbs are worth every second in the slow cooker.
Why You’ll Love This Slow Cooker 40 Clove Garlic Chicken
- Most of the preparation time for this recipe takes place in the slow cooker (which makes things way easier!).
- It’s packed with comforting and savory flavors that are perfect for the fall and winter months.
- The slow cooker keeps the chicken and potatoes incredibly tender.
- You only need a few ingredients to make the magic happen.
- It’s easy enough for beginners to tackle without a hitch!
- It stores well if you’re trying to meal prep something satisfying for the entire week.
The full printable recipe card with measurements and instructions is found at the bottom of the post.
- Chicken drumsticks. Drumsticks are better than chicken breasts in this recipe as they retain their juiciness and moisture during the longer cooking time. Seriously, the meat falls off the bone!
- Chicken bouillon cubes. For a distinctive savory flavor.
- Lemon juice. For a slight tang that balances the rest of the dish.
- Sweet onion. These onions aren’t quite as pungent as other varieties and won’t overwhelm your stock.
- Mini potatoes. I like using baby potatoes as they don’t require any prep work and get a gorgeously crispy outer shell during cooking.
- Garlic cloves. One of the main base ingredients in the stock that results in a rich and warm flavor. To save yourself time, it’s worth buying pre-peeled garlic in jars from the grocery store.
- Fresh thyme. You can use dried herbs in a pinch, but fresh thyme is perfect for adding herby freshness to poultry.
- Salt and pepper. To taste!
How to Make Slow Cooker 40 Clove Garlic Chicken
- Step One: Grease a 6 quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Add in chicken bouillon cubes, lemon juice and water. Cover with sliced onions.
- Step Two: Place chicken drumsticks on top over top of onions.
- Step Three: Top with mini potatoes, garlic cloves, fresh thyme and salt and pepper.
- Step Four: Cover. Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or high for 6 hours. Check chicken’s temperature with a meat thermometer prior to serving to ensure its fully cooked. Serve hot.
You probably already have everything you need to make this Slow Cooker 40 Clove Garlic Chicken. But in case you don’t these are a few pieces of equipment that you can grab to make things a lot easier.
This post contains affiliate links.
What to Serve with Slow Cooker 40 Clove Garlic Chicken
Although this Slow Cooker 40 Clove Garlic Chicken is delicious on its own, you can create an entire spread with a few extra dishes.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- If you like, you can quickly sear the chicken before putting it into the slow cooker. This doesn’t majorly reduce the cooking time but can give your chicken drumsticks a slightly crisper exterior.
- Don’t be tempted to stop the slow cooking process early. I’m not joking when I say that this recipe needs between 8 and 10 hours to reach its full potential. If you take it out early, it’ll probably be cooked but not as tender or juicy as it could be!
- If you’re serving this dish with extra mashed potatoes, reserve a bit of the cooking juice. It tastes amazing when drizzled over any kind of potato!
You can store this Slow Cooker 40 Clove Garlic Chicken for up to 3 days in the fridge. You can reheat it in the microwave in 1-minute increments or pop it in the oven at 350 F for 15 minutes or so.
Can I Freeze?
You can freeze this Slow Cooker 40 Clove Garlic Chicken for up to 3 months. Just make sure it’s fully cooled before you put it into individual airtight containers or Ziploc bags.
- Crockpot Lemon Garlic Butter Chicken
- Slow Cooker Cream Cheese Chicken
- Sticky Chicken
- Crockpot Pickle Chicken
Slow Cooker 40 Clove Garlic Chicken
- 8 chicken drumsticks
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- ⅛ cup water
- 1 large sweet onion peeled and sliced
- 2 cups mini potatoes
- 40 cloves garlic peeled
- ¼ cup fresh thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- Grease a 6 quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Add in chicken bouillon cubes, lemon juice and water. Cover with sliced onions.
- Place chicken drumsticks on top over top of onions. Top with mini potatoes, garlic cloves, fresh thyme and salt and pepper.
- Cover. Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or high for 6 hours. Check chicken’s temperature with a meat thermometer prior to serving to ensure its fully cooked. Serve hot.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.