Slow Cooker Pumpkin Dump Cake is one of the easiest dump cake recipes there is. You have a pumpkin dump cake that uses a boxed spice cake to help give it that incredible pumpkin spice flavor.
The name is a little weird, but who cares – it’s cake! I’m a fan of “dump” cakes because of how easy they are to make. It’s usually “dumping” your ingredients and baking. They are messy and delicious! Don’t let the name scare you off. You’ll be missing out if you do!
Slow Cooker Pumpkin Dump Cake
I’ve made dump cake in the oven many times. Last year, I shared this Caramel Apple Dump Cake made with cake mix and pie filling. I wanted to try a dump cake in the slow cooker and see what it would be like.
It was even easier than making one in the oven. You are less risk of burning your dump cake in the slow cooker compared to the oven. Yes, I’ve had a few burnt dump cakes in my past come out of my oven. They literally were dumped in the trash.
What is a Dump Cake
A dump cake was a genius creation! You simply dump ingredients together, and it bakes up into a delicious cake. You will find almost all dump cakes use a boxed cake mix (check out my cake mix hacks) as the base. Then you add in a handful of ingredients to transform the flavor. You get an ultra-moist cake that is loaded with flavor.
Bake in the oven or do the slow cooker route as I did with this pumpkin dump cake recipe.
Pumpkin Pie Filling or Pumpkin Puree
You can use either! I could have used pumpkin pie filling in this recipe, but I only had canned pumpkin on hand. For some reason, pumpkin pie filling is really hard to find in stores around here. Figures though, it’s pumpkin season!
You can easily make your own with a few simple ingredients. Use this homemade pumpkin pie spice, brown sugar and pinch of salt and you are golden.
This cake is taunting me to dig my fork in.
How to Serve Pumpkin Dump Cake
Top with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream. It’s served hot so it will melt quickly. I think that just adds to its charm! Add a dusting of pumpkin pie spice on top of the whipped cream for a fun added look.
Variations to the Pumpkin Dump Cake Recipe
- Toss in 1/2 cup of walnuts or pecans for a nutty twist.
- Use a white or yellow cake mix in replace of spice cake
- Drizzle caramel over the top before serving for more sweet flavors.
- Serve with a butter pecan ice cream instead of vanilla for added rich flavors.
How to Make a Slow Cooker Pumpkin Dump Cake
The first thing you need to do is spray your slow cooker well with a cooking spray to prevent sticking. Then in a bowl add in your puree, brown sugar, spice and salt. Create an even layer on the bottom of the slow cooker.
Now in another bowl do your cake mix and butter and mix till crumbly. Pour over the pumpkin mixture and cook on low for 4 hours. That is all it takes to make this slow cooker pumpkin cake.
Want More Dump Cake Recipes
- Caramel Apple Dump Cake | Here is another great fall dump cake recipe. You have tender apples, creamy and buttery caramel with a moist cake.
- Cranberry Cobbler Dump Cake | I love cranberry in cake. This cranberry dump cake is colorful, light, and has a nice crumble topping for added texture and flavor to the cake.
- Strawberry Dump Cake | Only 4 ingredients in this simple sweet dessert! Cake mix and strawberry pie filling come together to make a luscious strawberry cake with little effort. One of the easiest dump cake recipes ever!
Best Way to Store Pumpkin Dump Cake
You will want to cover your cake in an airtight container. Then store in the refrigerator for up to 4-5 days. Storing your cake in the fridge will help your cake last longer!
Can You Eat Pumpkin Dump Cake Chilled
Of course. You can opt to warm up your cake in the microwave to get that fresh out of the oven taste or eat it cold. I love to eat it warm fresh out of the oven. But when it comes to leftovers I tend to eat it chilled. Reminds me of a pumpkin pie.
Can I Make This Dump Cake in Advance
If you want you can make this dump cake in advance by a day. Then if you want it warm like it is fresh out of the oven, wrap it tightly in aluminum foil and toss in a 350-degree oven and heat until it is warmed through. This will give you that fresh hot aspect like you just baked it up.
Give this easy dump cake recipe a try today. If you are a fan of pumpkin you will enjoy the pumpkin spice flavor this cake provides. And if you are not a big baker you might love the ease of this recipe. It is a no-fail pumpkin cake recipe that takes seconds to bring together.
You’ll also like these Pumpkin Breakfast Cookies.
What are your thoughts on dump cake?
- 2 cups pumpkin puree
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 box (15.5oz/432g) Spice Cake Mix
- Spray the inside of your slow cooker with cooking spray (mine is a 6 quart slow cooker).
- In a mixing, bowl stir together pumpkin puree, brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice and salt. Spread evenly on the bottom of your slow cooker.
- In another bowl, stir together cake mix and butter until crumbly. Spread evenly over pumpkin mixture.
- Cook on Low heat for 4 hours. Serve with ice cream or whipped cream, if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 744Total Fat: 34gSaturated Fat: 21gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 81mgSodium: 1086mgCarbohydrates: 109gFiber: 4gSugar: 70gProtein: 5g