If you are a fan of a white chili than this Slow Cooker Verde Chicken Chili is right up your alley. Juicy shredded chicken, white beans, sweet corn kernels, jalapeno, and more come together to give you a twist to your classic chili recipe.
I usually make chili with kidney beans and ground beef. I recently tried white chili and boy was it good! White chili isn’t tomato based, and instead of red kidney beans, it uses white ones. I like my chili with a spicy kick, so I made sure that this Verde Chicken Chili packed some heat.
Easy Verde Chicken Chili
Just like any other chili recipe, my Verde Chicken Chili gets better the longer it sits. I reached for my slow cooker because that is the perfect way to get that slow-simmered taste in your chili. No need to stir constantly as you would on the stove top, and it is a less stressful way to make a homemade Verde Chili recipe.
When you cook chicken in the slow cooker, it helps to tenderize the meat in a way that no other method can do. Best of all it keeps the chicken tender and juicy, and as it cooks it soaks in all the other ingredients, so each bite is packed full of vibrant white chili flavors.
Serve with some cornbread to complement the Latin-inspired flavors.
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Frozen corn
- White beans – Use cannellini beans or great northern beans.
- Salsa verde
- Yellow onion
- Chicken broth
- Chili powder
- Hot sauce – Use Tapatio or something similar.
- Fresh cilantro
- Mozzarella cheese and avocado – For garnish.
How to Make Slow Cooker Verde Chicken Chili
- Step One: Add chicken, corn, beans, salsa, onion, garlic, jalapeno, chicken broth, cumin, chili powder, hot sauce and cilantro to a slow cooker.
- Step Two: Lightly stir to combine.
- Step Three: Cover and cook on LOW heat for 9 to 10 hours or HIGH for 6 to 7 hours.
- Step Four: Remove chicken from chili and shred with 2 forks.
- Step Five: Place shredded chicken back into the slow cooker. Stir to combine.
- Step Six: Serve topped with additional cilantro, mozzarella cheese and avocado, as desired.
Favorite Soup Recipes To Try
What is Salsa Verde?
Salsa verde is a type of green salsa that you can buy or make homemade. Tomatillos are used along with white onions, jalapenos and more. It is a bit unique in flavor and varies differently from a traditional tomato-based red salsa.
How Long Does Verde Chicken Chili Soup Store In Fridge
You can store the Verde Chicken Chili soup in the fridge for 3-4 days. Anything over that you are risking it to be spoiled. Make sure that you cover your soup tightly or in an airtight container in the fridge.
Does Verde Chicken Chili Freeze Well
You can indeed freeze Verde Chicken Chili. I like to place the soup in a freezer bag and get as much air out as possible. Then lay it flat, so it takes up minimal freezer room. You can freeze your chili for up to 3 months.
Or if you want to extend the shelf life, invest in an airtight storage system like a FoodSaver. You can extend the shelf life even longer, which is excellent.
Tips For Making Chicken Chili
Chicken | I used raw chicken in this recipe that I later pull out once cooked and shred. Now, if you want a shortcut, you can use leftover chicken that you shred and then toss in. I have done this with leftover rotisserie chicken in the past or even plain chicken breasts, and it works just as good as fresh or even frozen chicken.
White Beans | I reach for cannellini or great northern beans. Both offer a sweet tender bean that is light and pairs well with the Verde flavors. You are welcome to buy dry beans and soak them overnight to use in the chili as well if you prefer dry beans over canned.
Heat Factor | If you do not love a lot of spice, then follow these tips. When adding in the jalapeno, make sure to deseed it first. If you do like heat, leave the seeds. The seeds are what packs the heat, so rinsing it off and only cutting up and putting in the green part will lessen the heat. Skip the hot sauce as well if you don’t love a lot of heat. Then after you serve it, offer the hot sauce as a topper for those to spice it up to fit their liking.
A very simple and easy chicken chili that is going to please your taste buds. It is a crowd-pleasing soup to make as well, that will also make your home smell amazing as it simmers away through the day. Give this slow cooker chili recipe a try and let me know what you think below. It is one of my family’s favorites.
Have you ever made a Verde Chicken Chili before?
Slow Cooker Verde Chicken Chili
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 can cannellini or great northern (any white bean) 15oz can, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup salsa verde
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 jalapeno seeded and minced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp hot sauce Tapatio or something similar
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro plus more for garnish
- Mozzarella cheese and avocado for garnish, optional
- In your slow cooker, add chicken breasts, corn, beans, salsa, onion, garlic, jalapeno, chicken broth, cumin, chili powder, hot sauce, and cilantro; lightly stir to combine spices.
- Cover and cook on low for 9-10 hours, or high for 6-7 hours.
- Remove chicken from chili; shred using 2 forks. Place shredded chicken back into slow cooker; stir to combine.
- Serve topped with additional cilantro, mozzarella cheese, and avocado as desired.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.