This scrambled egg casserole with creamy, cheesy eggs, ham, green onions, mushrooms, and a buttery breadcrumb crust is a fun twist on the classic egg bake!
I love a good breakfast casserole! Whether you are looking for a breakfast to meal prep for the week or you are needing to feed a crowd, there’s something for everyone here. When it came to this one, I wanted a recipe that was special enough for holidays, but still easy to make. Enter: the scrambled egg casserole.
While the ingredients are similar, this casserole isn’t like your traditional breakfast casserole! Instead, it has creamy scrambled eggs that are started on the stovetop, then poured into a casserole dish, topped with crunchy breadcrumbs, and finished in the oven. While I’ve included ham, green onions, and mushrooms here, you can easily swap in your favorite add-ins if you like!
- Butter – Butter will help keep the eggs from sticking to the dish.
- Flour – Just a bit of all-purpose flour will help thicken the casserole.
- Milk – Milk makes these scrambled eggs ultra creamy!
- Cheddar Cheese – Some of shredded cheddar cheese helps make this casserole extra delicious.
- Ham – Cubed ham adds a bit of extra protein.
- Green Onions – Green onions add a great flavor to this dish.
- Mushrooms – I added sliced mushrooms as my vegetable of choice.
- Eggs – Of course, you’ll need eggs!
- Breadcrumbs – You’ll need breadcrumbs to top the casserole with.
What I Used For This Scrambled Egg Bake
This post contains affiliate links.
- 2-Quart Casserole Dish – This ceramic baking dish is perfect for all types of casseroles!
- Stainless Steel Saucepan – I used this saucepan to make the cheese sauce for this casserole. This stainless steel saucepan is durable and perfect for everything from sauces to making rice.
- Nonstick Skillet – This nonstick skillet is perfect for scrambled eggs and makes cleanup so much easier!
How To Make Scrambled Egg Casserole
- Preheat the oven and prep your dish. First, you’ll want to preheat your oven to 350 F and grease your casserole dish with butter or oil so that the eggs don’t stick to it.
- Make the sauce. Next, you’ll start on the sauce. Melt two tablespoons of butter in a saucepan, then add the flour, salt, and pepper and stir it until it starts to bubble. Gradually stir in the milk and cook until it thickens, then remove it from the heat.
- Add the cheese. Stir the cheese into the sauce until fully combined, then set it aside.
- Make the scrambled egg mixture. Melt 3 tablespoons butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add the ham, mushrooms and green onion and sauté until onions are softened. Pour the eggs into the pan, then stir until they begin to set. Add in cheese sauce and stir. Pour mixture into prepared casserole dish.
- Top with breadcrumbs. Melt the remaining 3 tablespoons butter and mix with breadcrumbs. Sprinkle over top of casserole.
- Bake. Bake the casserole for 20 minutes or until top is golden brown and eggs are set. Garnish with green onions, if desired.
What are the best add-ins for breakfast casserole?
I used my favorite add-ins (ham, green onions, and mushrooms) for this casserole, but feel free to make it your own with any of the options below!
- Breakfast SausageBell peppers
How do you know when egg bake is done?
After 20 minutes in the oven, this egg bake will be fully cooked, but you’ll be able to tell it is done when the eggs are fully set and no longer runny.
What To Serve With This Breakfast Casserole
For an extra-special breakfast, I’d recommend serving this savory breakfast casserole with one of the sweet recipes below!
- Rainbow Fruit Salad
- Apple Cinnamon Bun Breakfast Casserole
- Baked Oatmeal
- Banana Raspberry Muffins
- Whole Wheat Blueberry Pancakes
More Breakfast Recipes You’ll Love
- Chicken and Egg Ramekins
- Strawberry Coconut Breakfast Casserole
- Oven Scrambled Eggs
- Bacon and Egg Biscuit Casserole
- Overnight Bacon Breakfast Casserole
- BBQ Eggs
Do you have any amazing breakfast recipes? I’m always looking for more recipes to try! Follow me on Instagram @simplystacieblog, on Facebook at Simply Stacie, and on Pinterest @SimplyStacie and let me know how you liked this and my other recipes!
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup ham, cooked and cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup green onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 12 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 2 quart casserole dish and set aside.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add flour, salt and pepper and stir until it begins to bubble. Gradually, stir in milk. Cook until thick and bubbling, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- Add cheese to saucepan and stir. Set aside.
- In a skillet, melt 3 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add in ham, mushrooms and green onion and saute until onions are softened. Add eggs. Cook and stir until they begin to set. Add in cheese sauce and stir. Pour mixture into prepared casserole dish.
- Melt 3 tablespoons butter and mix with breadcrumbs. Sprinkle over top of casserole.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until top is golden brown and eggs are set. Garnish with green onions, if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 bowl
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 495Total Fat: 35.2gSaturated Fat: 18.1gTrans Fat: 0.3gUnsaturated Fat: 14.3gCholesterol: 460.7mgSodium: 570.4mgCarbohydrates: 14.1gFiber: 0.4gSugar: 9.3gProtein: 30g