Everyone who tries this easy baked Chicken Alfredo Pierogi Casserole made from frozen pierogies raves about how amazing it is! This comfort food dinner recipe is loaded with chicken, bacon, Alfredo sauce, onions, mushrooms and pierogies.
This may be the best recipe I’ve made all year! My spouse seems to think so anyways. We’ve made this casserole bake a few times already in the last month. If you are craving comfort food, this is the recipe to try!
I even made an extra casserole so I could share it with some friends. We dropped off containers to their homes and they messaged us later on to say how delicious it was. I even was told how good of a cook I was! I had to chuckle because this recipe is so darn easy to put together that anyone can do it!
It’s creamy, savory , cheesy and filling. I think of it like a Pierogi Casserole with chicken comfort food extraordinaire.
If you’ve got a box of frozen pierogies (or perogies…however you spell it!) in your freezer, you can dress them up for an easy family dinner. I always buy them because they are inexpensive and good filler for nights you don’t know what to cook.
For this recipe, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Frozen pierogies (any flavor) that have been cooked – I boiled mine per the package directions.
- Cooked bacon
- Alfredo sauce – I used Classico Alfredo Sauce
- Italian seasoning
- Monterey Jack cheese – You could also use mozzarella cheese.
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
How to Make
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Spread cooked pierogies on the bottom of a 9×13 casserole dish and set aside.
2. Add extra virgin olive oil to a skillet over medium heat. Add onions, mushrooms and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for approximately 10 minutes or until onions are softened and mushrooms are cooked.
3. Add Alfredo sauce to a large bowl. Add chicken, bacon, Italian seasoning and mushrooms and onion. Stir to combine. Pour on top of pierogies in casserole dish.
4. Spread cheese on top. Top with reserved bacon.
5. Bake for 30 minutes. Serve hot.
Helpful Kitchen Tools
These kitchen tools will help you make this recipe.
- Broccoli – Add some broccoli florets when you’re cooking the mushrooms and onions.
- Ham – Use leftover ham instead of bacon.
- Vegetarian – Leave the chicken and bacon out of the recipe. Add in some extra veggies if you like.
- Cheese – Add more cheese like Parmesan and mozzarella.
- Spinach – Add spinach in with the onions and mushrooms.
It’s easier if you prep the ingredients ahead of time. Cook the chicken breasts the night before or the morning of and store them in the fridge. Fry up extra bacon with breakfast and save some for the recipe.
Don’t cook the pierogies and leave them sit! I’ve made the mistake before of boiling the pierogies and then leaving them in the sink in the colander. They will stick together. Get them spread out in the casserole dish right after draining the water.
You can prep the entire casserole ahead of time if you like. Store in the fridge, covered, until you are ready to bake. You’ll need to add on a little extra cooking time since it’s going in the oven cold.
How to Store
Place any leftovers in covered containers or cover the casserole dish and put in the fridge. Eat within 3 days.
If you want to freeze the casserole, bake it first and then let it cool. Once cooled, place in freezer safe containers and put in the freezer for up to 3 months.
What to Serve with Chicken Alfredo Pierogi Casserole
- Garlic bread
- Caesar salad
- Dinner rolls
- Steamed broccoli
- Christmas Salad
More Easy Casserole Recipes
- Pierogi Casserole (made with tomato-based pasta sauce)
- Tater Tot Casserole
- Mexican Tater Tot Casserole
- Cheesy Corn Casserole
- Sour Cream Chicken Bake
- Tortellini Casserole
- Baked Macaroni and Cheese
- Santa Fe Chicken Tortellini Casserole
- Chicken Broccoli Biscuit Bake
Do you have any amazing casserole recipes? I’m always looking for more recipes to try! Follow me on Instagram @simplystacieblog, on Facebook at Simply Stacie, and on Pinterest @SimplyStacie and let me know how you liked this and my other recipes!
- 2 lb. (907g) box of frozen pierogies, cooked
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 10 slices bacon, cooked and chopped, reserve 1/4 cup for garnish
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked, chopped
- 3 1/2 cups Alfredo sauce (about 2 jars)
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 cups Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spread cooked pierogies on the bottom of a 9x13 casserole dish and set aside.
- Add extra virgin olive oil to a skillet over medium heat. Add onions, mushrooms and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for approximately 10 minutes or until onions are softened and mushrooms are cooked.
- Add Alfredo sauce to a large bowl. Add chicken, bacon, Italian seasoning and mushrooms and onion. Stir to combine. Pour on top of pierogies in casserole dish.
- Spread cheese on top. Top with reserved bacon.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Serve hot.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 950Total Fat: 79gSaturated Fat: 45gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 28gCholesterol: 245mgSodium: 1866mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 42g