Disclosure: I am participating in the Chicken Farmers of Canada campaign managed by SJ Consulting. I received compensation in exchange for my participation in this campaign. The opinions on this blog are my own.
My meal plan is often inspired by the sale flyers at our local grocery stores. I can’t resist a bargain so when I see an ingredient my family likes, I grab it. This past week, bushels of asparagus were on sale. I grabbed a few and was planning to serve them as a simple side dish with a little lemon. Then, I was walking down the meat aisle and saw the chicken breasts on sale. Instead of serving a seasoned chicken breast with a side of asparagus, I decided I wanted comfort food. However, I wanted it to be on the healthier side of the spectrum.
I grabbed the rest of my ingredients and got to work right away on preparing this meal when I arrived home. Sometimes you get inspired in the weirdest spots. For me this time, it was in the produce section near the asparagus and kale!
I steamed my asparagus in my handy food steamer. However, you could boil them too. Just make sure they are cooked before you put them in your casserole dish. I also baked my chicken breasts and then chopped them up. This recipe would work with leftover chicken too.
The sauce is creamy and a little exotic thanks to the addition of curry powder. It has a lovely flavour. There’s actually no cream in the sauce surprisingly!
For the topping, I used shredded cheddar cheese and sliced almonds. I know many casseroles use bread crumbs or broken up crackers for a crunchy topping. I thought almonds would be a healthier way to add a little texture and nice crunch as well.
I ended up having seconds of this dish which is something I don’t do often! Even if you have kids that aren’t crazy about asparagus, you can “sneak” it. It’s hidden under the big chunks of chicken, creamy sauce and cheesy topping.
If asparagus isn’t your thing, check out these other chicken casserole recipes from Chicken Farmers of Canada. They have several recipes I’ve printed off to make one of these days!
Do you have a favourite healthy chicken casserole recipe? If so, I’d love to hear about it!
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and chopped
- 1 bushel of asparagus, trimmed and steamed, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup Italian salad dressing
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced, if desired
- Spread the cooked asparagus on the bottom of a 9x13 casserole dish. Top with chopped onions. Spread chicken cubes over top of asparagus and onions.
- In a saucepan on the stove top, mix flour with a little bit of the chicken broth until no lumps remain. Then add in the rest of the chicken broth, Italian salad dressing, lemon juice, curry powder and salt. Heat to boiling stirring often until it thickens. Pour mixture over top of the chicken.
- Top with shredded cheese and almonds. Cover with aluminum foil and cook for 20 minutes at 350F. Then remove foil and continue to cook for another 10 minutes. Top with green onions, if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 361Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 88mgSodium: 784mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 33g