This easy, cheesy, cowboy chicken casserole recipe is made in the Crockpot and filled with mouthwatering flavors of tomatoes, tender chicken, potatoes, spices, and more. Perfect for whenever you need a filling meal at home, this recipe is truly the best!
There is nothing better than a classic combination of cheese, potatoes, and all the right seasonings like garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, etc. The chicken is extra tender in this cowboy chicken casserole recipe which makes it a dealbreaker.
Disclosure: I am participating in the Chicken Farmers of Canada campaign. I received special perks in exchange for my participation in this campaign. The opinions on this blog are my own. This post contains affiliate links.
I created this recipe based off one of my very favorite recipe websites, Chicken Farmers of Canada. The original recipe called for three layers of chili, but I only used two and though the chili casserole still tasted delicious.
Chicken Farmers of Canada has a ton of yummy and easy chicken recipes that are perfect for the family and special occasions. I love to use my Henry Roaster to create the best Whole Roasted Chicken With Sage Butter and Maple Walnut Stuffing – talk about incredibly tender and juicy flavors finished with the perfect crisp.
If you’re looking for a comforting and filling chicken casserole recipe, then I think you will really love this semi-spicy recipe because it is filled with the best combinations of foods that are great to enjoy all throughout the year, but especially in the cooler months when you’re preparing casseroles.
- Oil: I like to use extra virgin olive oil but feel free to use any kind of cooking oil.
- Ground Chicken: Extra lean ground chicken is a great way to keep things lighter and tender. Feel free to switch up between different ground meats.
- Seasoning: A blend of pantry-friendly seasonings are included such as onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, oregano, and chili powder.
- Beans: Canned beans in tomato sauce are used. These types of beans are commonly referred to as Navy Beans or Haricot Beans.
- Salsa: One cup of any kind of salsa gives this cowboy chicken casserole recipe extra rich tomato flavors. Use either homemade or store bought salsa.
- Tomato Paste: Tomato paste is used as a natural thickener and enhances the robust flavors.
- Cooking Spray: Cooking spray is used to grease the inside of the Crockpot so the casserole doesn’t stick to the bottom and sides.
- Potatoes: Any kind of potatoes will work! Russet, red, Yukon Gold, New Potatoes, etc.
- Mozzarella: Shredded mozzarella cheese gives this casserole a gooey cheesy flavor that is incredible.
What I Used For This Recipe
- Stockpot: This five quart stockpot is great for a variety of different recipes when you need to cook a base for soups, casseroles, pastas, and more. I love that it is stainless steel, too!
- Measuring Cups and Spoons: I love these stainless steel measuring cups and spoons because they are easy to clean, use, and create the best results every time.
- Box Grater: This box grater is perfect for shredding any kind of cheese! Easy to wash, use, and lots of different ways to shred cheese.
- Six-Quart Crockpot: This stainless steel Crockpot is a lifesaver! Truly the perfect size, I prepare all types of recipes in this Crockpot. I love that at is stainless steel and easy to clean.
How To Make It
- First, heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Next, add the ground chicken and break it up with a spoon until it is crumbly and evenly broken up.
- Next, add the onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, oregano, and chili powder and sauté the mixture for five minutes. Be sure to stir the chicken mixture often so it evenly cooks and turns brown.
- Stir in the can of beans, salsa, and tomato paste. Mix everything well and cover the pot with a lid. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer the chicken for ten minutes until bubbly.
- Next, spray the inside of the slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. Assemble the casserole by adding an even layer of the chili mixture to the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Next, add a layer of the sliced potatoes on top of the chili, being sure to coat the entire surface.
- Finally, add the rest of the chili mixture to the tops of the potatoes and cover with a cup of shredded mozzarella cheese. Add more sliced potatoes to the top of the mozzarella and add the rest of the cheese to the tops of the potatoes.
- Sprinkle the casserole with oregano and chili powder. Cover the casserole with a lid and cook on low heat for four hours until the casserole starts to brown on top and the cheese is melted.
- Use tater tots or hash browns instead of sliced potatoes for a cowboy chicken hashbrown casserole.
- Grilled chicken can be used instead of ground chicken.
- Ground turkey or beef can be used instead of ground chicken.
- Omit the ground chicken for a vegetarian casserole.
- Add veggies like sliced bell peppers, corn, mushrooms, tomatoes, or olives.
- For extra spice add sliced jalapeńos or green chiles.
What are the five components of a casserole?
There are essentials when it comes to making delicious casseroles! For the best results, all casseroles should have layers that consist of starches, protein, a creamy sauce, sometimes veggies, and even cheese.
Store the leftover Crockpot cowboy chicken casserole in an airtight container in the refrigerator for four days.
Freeze the casserole by placing it in a freezer-safe container and covering. Place in the freezer and freeze for three months.
Freeze the leftover hash brown quiche by slicing it into small slices and freezing in a freezer-safe bag or container.
What To Serve With This
More Casserole Recipes You’ll Love
Do you have any amazing easy chicken casserole recipes? I’m always looking for more recipes to try! Follow me on Instagram @simplystacieblog, on Facebook at Simply Stacie, and on Pinterest @SimplyStacie and let me know how you liked this and my other recipes!
- 1 lb extra lean ground chicken
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 (14oz/398ml) can of beans in tomato sauce, undrained
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 (5.5oz/156ml) can tomato paste
- 3 potatoes, medium, skin on and sliced
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Heat oil over medium high heat in a large pot. Add ground chicken and break up with a spoon. Add onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, oregano and chili powder and continue to sauté for 5 minutes, stirring often or until chicken is browned.
- Stir in the can of beans, salsa and tomato paste. Mix well and cover. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Spray the inside of a slow cooker with cooking spray. To assemble, first add the chili mixture to cover the bottom of the slowcooker. Then add a layer of potatoes to cover the chili mixture. Add the rest of the chili mixture to the top of the potatoes and cover with about 1 cup of mozzarella cheese. Add the rest of your sliced potatoes to the top of the cheese and add your final 1 cup of cheese to the very top. Sprinkle with a dash of oregano and chili powder.
- Cover and cook in slow cooker on low heat for 4 hours until the potatoes are tender and the casseroles starts to brown on top.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 673Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 125mgSodium: 1509mgCarbohydrates: 71gFiber: 13gSugar: 20gProtein: 61g