Take Mexican night to a whole new level with this easy taco bake recipe. Doritos Casserole is made with ground beef, sour cream, spices and loads of cheese. It’s zesty with hearty Tex Mex flavor. A yummy dinner recipe your family will love!
Have you ever made a taco casserole with Doritos? You are in for a real treat. It’s super delicious and great family friendly meal. It was gobbled up in no time in my home.
Each bite is packed with big, bold flavor. Beefy. Cheesy. Tex Mex Spice. Crunchy Doritos. Yum!
We had a little leftover the next day and dropped off a container to friends. They also gave it rave reviews. You need to add this recipe to your dinner rotation!
To make this Dorito Casserole recipe, you’ll need:
- Ground beef – I used lean ground beef.
- Onion – I like sweet onion, but Spanish or white onion could be used, too.
- Taco seasoning – Use a full packet. Don’t worry about the directions on the packet. We are just after the spice.
- 1 can of diced tomatoes with green chilies. I love the ROTEL brand!
- Salsa. I used mild salsa since my spouse isn’t a fan of anything spicy
- 1 can of diced green chilies.
- Sour cream. I like the full-fat sour cream for more flavor and better consistency.
- 1 family sized bag of nacho cheese flavored Doritos. You’ll need to crush them. It’s up to you how big the pieces are.
- Monterey Jack cheese
- Cheddar cheese
The full recipe card is found at the bottom of this post with the measurements and complete directions.
How to Make
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9×13 casserole dish with cooking spray.
2. Add ground beef, onions and garlic to a large deep skillet over medium heat. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes, until beef is cooked and onions are softened. Drain excess fat, if needed.
3. Stir in taco seasoning, ROTEL diced tomatoes with green chilies, salsa, diced chilies and sour cream. Heat for 1 to 2 minutes, until mixture heats through.
4. Spread 1/3 of the nacho cheese Doritos on the bottom of the prepared casserole dish. Top with half the beef mixture. Add another 1/3 of Doritos on top.
5. Add remaining beef mixture on top of that. Add the last 1/3 of Doritos on top. Sprinkle with cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese.
6. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 10 minutes. Serve hot.
Helpful Kitchen Tools
These kitchen tools will help you make this recipe.
This post contains affiliate links.
- Don’t crush the Doritos into a fine powder. You’ll want to be able to tell that they are actually chips! You can break them up into small pieces or keep them big. It’s personal preference. The bigger you keep them, the less they’ll soften during baking. The smaller, the more “mushy”. For more of a crunch, keep them big.
- Serve with a few toppings. I love mine with sour cream and chopped green onions. You could also add more salsa, pickled jalapenos, chopped tomatoes, lettuce, Pico de Gallo or guacamole.
- Don’t use pre-shredded cheese. I find it doesn’t melt the same as the cheese you shred yourself.
- No ROTEL? Substitute salsa in its place. I typically find the cans in the canned tomato aisle in the grocery store.
- Don’t forget to remove the aluminum foil. You’ll want to take it off when there is about 20 minutes left of baking time. This will allow the cheese to melt completely and get that beautiful golden color.
- Change the meat. Use cooked shredded chicken or ground chicken in place of the ground beef.
- Try a different variety of cheese. You’ll want a cheese that melts similar like Pepper Jack cheese or mozzarella.
- Make it spicy. Use hot taco seasoning and salsa to give it a real kick.
- Change the chips. Try a different flavor of Doritos or use tortilla chips.
- Add some veggies. Chop up some red or green peppers and add them in to cook when you cook the beef and onions.
What to Serve with this Recipe
This Layered Doritos Casserole is really a meal by itself so you don’t have to serve it with anything if you don’t want to. Here are a few simple sides that would pair well with it:
- Green Bean and Tomato Salad
- Cauliflower Rice
- Black Bean & Rice Open Faced Tacos
- Strawberry Agua Fresca
Can I make in advance?
Yes, you can make it ahead of time. However, I wouldn’t make it too far ahead because the Doritos may be soggier the longer it sits in the fridge. Up to 8 hours before and you should be fine.
Store any leftovers in the fridge, covered, for up to three days. You can also freeze it for up to three months as long as it’s in a freezer safe container.
More Casserole Recipes to Try
- Mexican Tater Tot Casserole
- Tater Tot Casserole
- Broccoli Casserole
- Vegan Mexican Casserole
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
- Twice Baked Potato Casserole
- Pizza Tater Tot Casserole
- Beef Nacho Bake
Check out my Doritos Casserole web story.
If you make the recipe, rate it on the recipe card below and tag me on Instagram and use #simplystacie. I like sharing the photos on my Instagram stories!
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 1 (10oz/284ml) can diced tomatoes with green chilies (ROTEL)
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 (4.5oz/127ml) can diced green chilies
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 family size (14.5oz/370g) nacho cheese flavored Doritos, crumbled
- 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9x13 casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Add ground beef, onions and garlic to a large deep skillet over medium heat. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes, until beef is cooked and onions are softened. Drain excess fat, if needed.
- Stir in taco seasoning, ROTEL diced tomatoes with green chilies, salsa, diced chilies and sour cream. Heat for 1 to 2 minutes, until mixture heats through.
- Spread 1/3 of Doritos on the bottom of the prepared casserole dish. Top with half the beef mixture. Add another 1/3 of Doritos on top. Add remaining beef mixture on top of that. Add the last 1/3 of Doritos on top. Sprinkle with cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 10 minutes. Serve hot.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 9 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 319Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 87mgSodium: 686mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 23g