Strawberry Agua Fresca is the best refreshing drink for summer! There’s only 4 ingredients in this fruity mocktail that’s perfect for Mexican night or a pool party.
It’s starting to warm up, which means it’s time for Strawberry Agua Fresca! I love this simple Mexican drink because it’s just a few ingredients. It keeps me hydrated on a hot day by the pool or at the grill, plus I love strawberries!
I often eat strawberries on their own. Naturipe strawberries are fresh tasting, juicy and sweet. They were also a good size too and would be perfect for dipping in some chocolate- yum! I also like to put fresh strawberries in some yogurt in the morning. It makes a healthy and tasty way to start your day.
Not only are strawberries delicious, but they are also very healthy. I was surprised to learn that 8 strawberries have more vitamin C than a medium orange! Strawberries are great for people following a healthy lifestyle because they are low in carbs, fat, and calories. Lucky for me — I live on them in the summer!
What is Agua Fresca Made of?
- Strawberries: This is truly my fav summer fruit. When you’re shopping, look for clean, dry strawberries that are plump, firm, and fully red with a green, fresh looking cap. Try to avoid strawberries that look bruised or wrinkled. Also important to note is that size doesn’t matter in terms of sweetness!
- Lime juice: Fresh lime juice brings an extra brightness and depth to your drink. It’s not as strong as a strawberry limeade, but it’s an important basic ingredient.
- Honey: You can add a little sweetness to your Agua Fresca with some honey or granulated sugar. If strawberries are sweet enough for you, skip it!
- Water: The majority of this refresher is good ol’ fashioned water! I like mine to be super cold. I also serve the final beverage over ice to keep it perfectly chilled.
You could always make this an adult beverage with some vodka, rum, or tequila, but I like to keep it simple.
What I Used For This Recipe
This post contains affiliate links.
- Strawberry huller: Save time and knives with this strawberry huller! It takes the top right off for strawberries you can eat or use in any recipe instantly.
- Hand juicer: If you want the most juice out of your lemons, limes, and oranges, a hand juicer is the trick! No need to spend the big bucks on a juicer machine with these.
- Blender: The only must-have for this recipe is a blender! No matter how hard you try, you just can’t liquify the berries the same as a good blender.
How To Make It
- First, mix the strawberries and cold water in the blender until the strawberries are completely liquified.
- Then, strain the mixture into a pitcher, and ditch the solid bits.
- Now, add a little lime juice to the pitcher and stir. If you’re adding honey, add it now, too.
- Chill and serve! I like to serve mine over ice and garnish it with fresh strawberry slices or a lime wedge.
If you need to make a drink for a group of people, you can easily double, triple or quadruple the recipe. The recipe below made 2 large glasses over ice.
How Long is Agua Fresca Good For?
This is a great make ahead recipe for pool parties! Just whip it up in the morning and let it chill until it’s time for sunshine.
After you’re done, this strawberry agua fresca can last up to 4 days in the fridge. Once the flavor changes, toss the leftovers. However, this recipe only makes 2 glasses, and it’s so easy to make right when you need it!
Where Did Agua Fresca Originate?
This deliciously refreshing strawberry agua fresca dates back to the Aztec days in what is now Mexico City. Since then, they have become popular drinks alongside the country’s popular street fare. They’re also popular in Guatemala!
Other popular agua fresca flavors include watermelon, hibiscus, cucumber, pineapple, cantaloupe, peach, mango, and lemon chia!
To switch it up, just change the fruit and keep the other steps the same. You may need to adjust your sweetener depending on the fruit.
What To Serve With This
Keep cool next to the grill this summer with this agua fresca while you make the best grilled chicken. This maple dijon sauce takes your chicken breasts to the next level.
Make everything in one foil pouch with these grilled sesame shrimp and veggies! They’ll full of yummy Asian flavors and so easy to make for a crowd.
Add a little Mexican-inspired flavors to your barbecue with this chicken fajita pasta salad. It’s a great side dish with tons of protein but no tortillas to mess with!
More Drink Recipes You’ll Love
- Citrus Bliss Infused Water
- Shirley Temple
- Peachy Sparkler
- Cranberry Mint Mocktail
- Strawberry Vanilla Smoothie
- Copycat Orange Julius
Do you have any amazing drink recipes? I’m always looking for more recipes to try! Follow me on Instagram @simplystacieblog, on Facebook at Simply Stacie, and on Pinterest @SimplyStacie and let me know how you liked this and my other recipes!
Strawberry Agua Fresca
- 2 cups fresh strawberries hulled and sliced
- 1 ½ cups cold water
- 1 lime juiced
- 3 tbsp honey or sugar optional
- Combine strawberries and water in a blender. Blend until the mixture is liquified.
- Strain the strawberry mixture over a pitcher and discard the solids.
- Squeeze the juice of one lime into your pitcher and stir. Add in sugar or honey if you prefer a sweeter drink and stir.
- Chill until ready to serve. Garnish with fresh strawberries and/or sliced lime.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.