Beans, beans, the more you eat, the more you….Sorry I couldn’t help myself. Today, I’m all about the BEANS with this mouthwatering Bean Casserole packed full of goodness. Get that fibre into you and enjoy a delicious meal.
It’s a bit like a chili, minus the chili powder, but it’s not soupy. It’s meaty, bean-y and soooo flavourful. You are going to LOVE this easy recipe. Our family sure does.
It’s got a bit of a sweet and sour thing going on with the sweetness of the brown sugar and the tang of the vinegar.
And it has bacon! Everything is better with a little bacon added in.
How to Make Bean Casserole
Grab a large pot and add the bacon, ground beef, onions and ketchup. Cook over medium high heat until the meat is cooked and the onions are soft.
Stir in the brown sugar, mustard, vinegar, pork and beans, red kidney beans, white kidney beans. Season with salt and pepper.
Put the mixture into a 9×13 casserole dish and bake for 30 minutes. Enjoy hot.
Helpful Kitchen Tools
This post contains affiliate links.
Can You Freeze Bean Casserole?
Double or triple the recipe so you can freeze it! Once I clear out my basement, I’m buying a deep freeze. I want to get into freezer cooking. I think it will save me from my dinner rut of never knowing what to make. I can batch cook a bunch of recipes like this Bean Casserole and then I always have something for dinner.
What to Serve with Bean Casserole
It’s a meal on its own, but if you wanted to add a nice side salad you could. I wouldn’t recommend potatoes or rice with it because I think that would be too much starch. It’s already a heavy meal with all the beans.
Are you a bean fan?
- 1/2 lb bacon, chopped
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 cup onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 2 teaspoon white vinegar
- 2 1/4 cups pork and beans
- 2 1/4 cup red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 1/4 cup white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Chopped green onions, for garnish, if desired
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large pot over medium high heat, cook bacon, hamburger, onions and ketchup until meat is cooked and onions are softened.
- Stir in brown sugar, mustard, vinegar, pork and beans, red kidney beans, white kidney beans and salt and pepper to taste.
- Put mixture into a 9×13 casserole dish and bake for 30 minutes. Serve hot. Sprinkle on green onions if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 444Total Fat: 4.4gSaturated Fat: 1.4gTrans Fat: 0.1gUnsaturated Fat: 1.6gCholesterol: 38mgSodium: 487.7mgCarbohydrates: 70gFiber: 14.8gSugar: 19.3gProtein: 31.2g