Chicken a la King is a fast, hearty, and satisfying dinner option that brings classic comfort food to your table. Loaded with chicken and veggies in a rich, creamy sauce, this cozy meal can be served over pasta or rice for a comforting and filling dish that’s sure to please.
This easy chicken skillet meal is so easy that you’ll look forward to making dinner tonight. Tender chicken with earthy mushrooms, all smothered in an herbaceous and creamy sauce; it’s a great recipe the whole family will love. It tastes like crustless chicken pot pie and will make everyone fall in love with chicken for dinner.
This recipe is the ultimate comfort food – especially when serving it with fluffy dinner rolls or buttery mashed potatoes. Plus, there are many ways to change it up to match your family’s unique tastes.
Why You’ll Love Chicken a la King
- Perfect recipe for busy weeknights. It’s a quick weeknight meal that doesn’t require any sides.
- Cooks in minutes. It’s even faster when you use pre-cooked chicken.
- Versatile. Serve chicken à la king over rice, noodles, biscuits, or toast.
- Taste everyone loves. The cream sauce and tender chicken is a hit!
The full printable recipe card with measurements and instructions is found at the bottom of the post.
It’s easy to find all of the ingredients at grocery stores. Here is what you’ll need before you begin.
- Butter: Use unsalted butter to keep it from being too salty.
- White Mushrooms: For the best flavor, use fresh mushrooms.
- Onion: A white onion will have the best flavor in the chicken dish.
- Red Bell Pepper: Any color of bell peppers will work perfectly in this casserole; try it with green pepper.
- Chicken Broth: Use either chicken broth or chicken stock.
- Salt: Add this only if it needs a flavor boost.
- Garlic Powder: Either fresh garlic or garlic powder both work.
- Thyme: I used dried thyme, but some fresh thyme will taste incredible.
- Pepper: This rounds out all the other flavors.
- Cubed Chicken: Make sure the chicken pieces are cut small or shredded.
- Frozen Peas: You can use canned, but they will be soft, so be careful not to overcook them.
- Heavy Whipping Cream: The heavy cream makes the sauce nice and thick.
- Parmesan Cheese: This adds nutty notes with a crispy texture on top.
How to Make Chicken a la King
- Step One: In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt butter and saute onions, mushrooms, and pepper for 3-5 minutes or until soft. Add chicken broth, salt, garlic powder, thyme, pepper, cooked chicken, and peas.
- Step Two: Cover and turn the burner to simmer and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Step Three: Stir in the heavy whipping cream and parmesan cheese. Cook an additional 2 minutes or until hot; do not boil.
- Step Four: Serve.
This post may contain affiliate links.
- Large Skillet – You need a large enough skillet to hold all ingredients.
- Serving Spoon – You’ll use this to stir the ingredients and serve them.
- Sharp Knife – If you’re cutting raw chicken, use a sharp knife to cut it up into small pieces.
What to Serve with Chicken a la King
Enjoy this creamy dish with a glass of white wine and one of these side dishes.
- Southern Style Green Beans
- Copycat Texas Roadhouse Rolls
- Dr. Pepper Baked Beans
- Garlic Bread
- Air Fryer Asparagus
Variations and Substitutions
- Make It Spicier. Add red pepper flakes to make this easy dinner recipe light up your taste buds.
- Use Different Meat. Try it with thin pork chops.
- Make mashed potato bowls. Serve it over mashed potatoes with the cream sauce on top and sprinkled cheese.
- Add some color. Add pimento peppers or orange bell peppers.
Place leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate for 3-4 days. To freeze, place this creamy dish in a freezer bag and freeze for up to 3 months.
Chicken a la King Tips and Tricks
- The sauce will thicken after it is removed from the direct heat of the burner.
- To reheat, add heavy whipping cream or milk, then heat as usual.
- Make sure the chicken is completely cooked before you add it to the skillet.
- If the butter starts sizzling too much when you saute the garlic and pepper, turn the heat down to medium heat.
What Is Chicken A La King?
This classic recipe was created in the early 1900s but surged in popularity in the 1950s and 60s. The original recipe was made with dry sherry and garnished with pimentos. It consisted of chicken in a creamy white sauce and mushrooms and served over toast.
It’s an old recipe, and no one can prove who created it. But an obituary in the New York Times in 1915 said the creator of Chicken A La King was a chef named William King. He created it when he worked as a cook at the Bellevue Hotel in Philidelphia.
What Is The Best Chicken To Use?
This is a great way to use leftover chicken. Shred some rotisserie chicken to save yourself time. To get the juiciest chicken, I suggest using chicken thighs. The dark meat retains the flavors better than the drier white meat from chicken breasts.
Can I Replace Chicken With Tuna?
Yes, some people like to make tuna a la king. Using canned tuna instead of cooking chicken will give you an easy weeknight dinner that comes together in just minutes!
How To Thicken The Sauce
If the sauce is too thin, use chicken stock and make a slurry with cornstarch and water. Mix one tablespoon of cornstarch with a tablespoon of water. Whisk it well and add it to the sauce, letting it cook for two minutes. The sauce will naturally thicken after it sits and cools a bit. It’s best to wait and see if it thickens before adding a slurry.
Many people think they can replace heavy whipping cream with whole milk, which leads to a sauce that is too thin.
Many classic chicken a la king recipes add egg yolks to the heavy cream to make it taste richer. But that is optional. This creamy chicken dish doesn’t need the extra egg yolks.
You can make this in the Instant Pot, but it will save you little time. This recipe is ready in 25 minutes, so you can’t beat that!
Add extra veggies like green peas or diced carrots to the dish to boost the nutrition.
This recipe makes about six servings.
Want more simple recipes that you can make at home? Here are some of my favorites:
You’ll also like Turkey a la King.
Chicken a la King
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup white mushrooms sliced
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp pepper
- 2 cups cooked chicken cubed
- ⅔ cup frozen peas
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ⅔ cup Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add onions, mushrooms, and red pepper and saute for 3 to 5 minutes, until soft.
- Add chicken broth, salt, garlic powder, dried thyme, pepper, cooked chicken and peas and stir to combine.
- Cover and turn the heat down to a simmer (low heat) and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in heavy whipping cream and parmesan cheese. Cook an additional 2 minutes, or until. Do not boil. Serve hot.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.