This Dulce de Leche Coffee Milkshake is a four-ingredient, mouthwatering coffee drink that’s perfect for summer. It’s made with vanilla ice cream blended with fresh coffee and dulce de leche, then topped with whipped cream.
When it’s 30°C+ outside, the last thing I want is a hot beverage. I need my caffeine fix though and there’s no way I’m ever going to stop drinking coffee. However, that doesn’t mean I can’t change it up a little like I did with this Dulce de Leche Coffee Milkshake recipe. Instead of a hot mug of my favourite beverage, I’m enjoying a cold glass with a few extras added in.
You may have seen my S’mores Coffee Milkshake recipe recently. It was the starting point of a new recipe obsession: cold coffee drinks. Prepare for a bunch of new decadent coffee milkshakes coming up over the next several weeks. I know many of us are looking for ways to beat the summer heat.
Why You’ll Love This Dulce De Leche Coffee Milkshake
- Get your caffeine fix in a cold creamy drink
- Rich, thick and delicious
- Perfect for summer
- Easy to make
- Simple ingredients
The full printable recipe card with measurements and instructions is found at the bottom of the post.
- Ice Cream: Use your favorite variety of vanilla ice cream for this recipe.
- Coffee: Freshly brewed coffee is best. Use good-quality coffee for the best flavor.
- Dulce de Leche: You can use store-bought dulce de leche or make your own in the instant pot.
- Whipped Cream: Use store-bought or homemade whi
How to Make a Dulce de Leche Milkshake
- Step One: Add ice cream, coffee and Dulce de Leche to a blender.
- Step Two: Blend until fully mixed and smooth.
- Step Three: Pour into two glasses. Top with whipped cream.
This post contains affiliate links.
What to Serve with a Coffee Milkshake
This dulce de leche coffee milkshake makes for an excellent afternoon pick-me-up all on its own. However, if you’re serving it up as part of a decadent breakfast or brunch, here are a few pairing ideas:
- Apple Cinnamon Bun Breakfast Casserole
- Sticky Banana Croissants with Crushed Nuts
- Baked French Toast
- Whole Wheat Blueberry Pancakes
Recipe Tips and Variations
- Use fresh coffee. The flavor of freshly brewed coffee is just unmatched.
- Don’t have hot brewed coffee? Try using cold brew instead.
- Make it vegan. Simply use your favorite diary-free variety of vanilla ice cream and use a vegan whipped topping like coconut whipped cream.
- Make it decaf. Want to enjoy this later in the day? Swap the regular coffee out for decaf.
I don’t recommend storing this drink. It is best served immediately after blending. Fortunately, it only takes 5 minutes to make!
What is the Difference Between a Frappe and a Milkshake?
Frappes don’t contain ice cream and milkshakes do!
Frappes are blended coffee drinks made using milk, sweetener, and ice to thicken. Milkshakes are ice cream blended with milk (or coffee). Additionally, frappes usually contain coffee, while traditional milkshakes do not.
Does Dulce de Leche Taste Like Caramel?
Yes! Dulce de leche tastes very similar to caramel. The difference is that it’s made with milk and sugar rather than the butter and sugar that makes up caramel. This gives it a thicker, creamier consistency.
How Do You Make a Thick Coffee Shake?
We all love a thick and creamy milkshake! Here are a few tips for the best texture!
- Cool the coffee slightly. If the coffee is too hot, it will just melt the ice cream.
- Start with less liquid. You can always add more liquid. I recommend starting with less, then adding more as needed until your milkshake reaches the right consistency.
- Don’t over-blend. Over-blending the mixture can warm it and cause it to melt. Blend only until combined.
More Coffee Milkshake Recipes to Try
- Nutella Coffee Milkshake
- Coconut Coffee Milkshake
- Cinnamon Roll Coffee Milkshake
- Reese’s Coffee Milkshake
- Maple Coffee Milkshake
- Caramel Coffee Milkshake
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Coffee Milkshake
You’ll also love this Iced Coffee and Dulce de Leche Bars.
Follow me on Instagram @simplystacieblog, Facebook at Simply Stacie, TikTok @simplystacierecipes or Pinterest at @simplystacie and let me know how you liked this recipe and my other recipes.
Dulce de Leche Coffee Milkshake
- 3 cups vanilla ice cream
- 1 ½ cups freshly brewed coffee
- 2 tbsp Dulce de Leche
- Whipped cream for topping
- Add ice cream, coffee and Dulce de Leche to a blender.
- Blend until fully mixed and smooth.
- Pour into two glasses. Top with whipped cream.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
This really sounds so good………….and I am up for anything cold as it is so hot here in Florida.
I am wondering where you get the Dulce De leche? You said it is in a jar, and what section
of the grocery store is it in??? I would sure like to try this…………
I found it in the spreads section with the jams and peanut butters. There’s also a bunch on Amazon too https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=dulce+de+leche
Jamie @ Medium Sized Family says
I was excited about drinking my morning coffee…but now I am drooling over this! I need this in my life! Sharing!
Morgan @ Morgan Manages Mommyhood says
Yum! I’m all about coffee .. uh.. everything but this is even more amazing!
Miz Helen says
Your Dulce de leche coffee milkshake looks amazing! Thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday this week. Hope you are having a great day and come back to see us real soon!
This sounds SO good; I love any kind of coffee drink – hot or cold, and especially blended with ice cream! Thanks for linking up with Creative Spark last week; I’m featuring your Dulce de Leche milkshake this week. Our party starts at 6am EST on Weds; hope you’ll come link up again!
Anne @ Domesblissity says
I always love all your recipes Stacie. I think this one would be good for summer or winter. Thank you so much for linking up to Thriving on Thursdays. I’m featuring this one at tomorrow’s party. Thank you for always linking up. It’s lovely to see you each week.
Anne @ Domesblissity
I’m a sucker for a good milkshake – thanks for sharing this at Dishin’ and Diggin It Stacie, your recipes are ALWAYS awesome!
Positively delicious looking shake! Thanks for the fab recipe at Merry Monday! Pinned!
Angie Rose says
Holy guacamole, does this look like a treat! I have been addicted to milkshakes, smoothies and frappes lately because of this heat wave we have been experiencing here in New England. Combining it with coffee just takes it to a whole new level of greatness! Thanks for sharing with us at Dishing It & Digging It!
kathy downey says
Thanks for yet another amazing recipe!