Oh man, this Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese Sandwich promises to take any boring lunch to a whole new level. Packed with delicious spice and bursting with flavor, you’ll never look at a sandwich the same way again!
I originally found this recipe when I signed up for the Crazy Cooking Challenge that was being hosted by Moms Crazy Cooking. After vetoing several different options on the web, I landed on an incredible recipe on Closet Cooking that took my breath away.
I’m a huge fan of Jalapeno Poppers, and I was genuinely curious about how they might taste in a classic grilled cheese.
Now, I knew that the sandwich would be spicy, but there was more to this recipe than first meets the eye.
Featuring a generous serving of cheese, the spicy Poppers (of course!), and a handful of crunchy tortilla chips, I knew I’d met my match as soon as I opened the webpage.
Once I’d roasted the peppers and let the cheese melt properly, I took my first bite and was completely blown away. The bread was perfectly buttery and crispy on the outside, and the combination of cream cheese, melty cheddar, and spicy bite of the jalapenos created a flavor sensation unlike anything I’d experienced in a sandwich. Oh – and the tortilla chips? They added the perfect crunch of texture that elevated the dish tenfold.
If I’m being honest, I’m salivating just thinking about this miraculous sandwich!
Although I loved it, the true test came when I gave it to John to try. He can be slightly fussy, but he was so impressed with the mix of flavors in this recipe that he demanded it again the next day! Kids may not love this one as it does have a significant kick, but brave ones may have a bite or two!
You’ll need to put in a bit of effort when it comes to roasting the jalapenos, but my gosh, it’s so worth it. They truly melt in your mouth and release a gorgeous level of spice that you simply can’t beat.
This sandwich genuinely changed my lunchtime game for the better, and I sincerely hope it spices up your life too!
Why You’ll Love This Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- It has an incredible spicy kick
- It’s an ultimate comfort food
- It doesn’t take too long to prepare
- It stores surprisingly well
- Jalapeno peppers
- Cream cheese
- Cheddar cheese
- Tortilla chips
How to Make This Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Step One: Roast the jalapenos by placing them on a baking sheet with the cut side facing down. Broil them on the top shelf of the oven until the outer layer of skin has blackened. I find that this usually takes around 10 minutes.
- Step Two: When you’ve pulled the peppers out of the oven, place them in a plastic ziptop bag and seal them. Let them cool for around 20 minutes.
- Step Three: Remove the skin from the jalapenos by pinching them off.
- Step Four: Butter the outside of each slice of bread and spread cream cheese on the insides. You can then top each slice with two jalapenos and sprinkle on the cheddar cheese. Add a layer of crumbled tortilla chips and then place the other slice of bread on top.
- Step Five: Cook the sandwiches on the stove at medium heat until the outside is golden and the cheese has fully melted.
This post contains affiliate links.
You’ll need a few pieces of equipment to make this recipe work, but you’ll probably have most of them to hand!
What to Serve With This Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- Don’t touch your eyes without washing your hands: This may sound obvious, but you don’t want to touch your eyes when making this recipe without giving your hands a good wash first. Otherwise, you’ll be in sting city.
- Use regular slices of bread: You can use thicker slices of bread for a heartier sandwich, but I recommend using regular, white sliced bread for the best result. I find that it browns better and ends up pleasantly crunchy without burning on the stove.
- Use bread that has a tighter crumb: Following on from my previous tip, you don’t want to use bread with too many holes in it. As awesome as a focaccia sandwich is, your ingredients may escape into the pan and burn, which we certainly don’t want.
- Ensure that you remove all the skin from the peppers: Nothing bad will happen if you miss a bit of skin here and there, but you won’t have that lovely, soft texture to your peppers if you leave the skin on.
- Use full-fat cream cheese: You can certainly get away with using low-fat cream cheese in this recipe, but I suggest pushing the boat out and using a full-fat version. It tends to be much creamier and lends richness and depth to the dish.
- Push your ingredients out to the very edges: You don’t want to have a single bite of your sandwich be a ‘bread-only’ experience. To avoid this, push your cream cheese, jalapenos, and cheddar right to the edges of the bread. This should also give you that wonderful cheesy overflow that characterizes the perfect grilled cheese!
- Don’t overfill your sandwich: I get it – it’s always tempting to shove as much cheese into your sandwich as possible. However, I recommend using just enough cheese to comfortably fill your sandwich. Otherwise, you’ll be dealing with major spillage.
Variations and Substitutions
- Use a sharp cheddar: If you’d like a richer flavor, don’t be afraid to use a sharp or mature cheddar in this recipe.
- Use a mix of cheeses: You can easily elevate your recipe by using a range of cheeses. I don’t suggest using anything too strong as you may overpower the jalapeno flavor, but mozzarella, American cheese, and mild options like Red Leicester are gorgeous additions to this sandwich.
- Use fewer jalapenos to lower the spice level: If you’re new to spicy food or prefer a slightly milder sandwich, simply remove a few of the jalapenos from the recipe!
After cooking the sandwiches, allow them to cool completely at room temperature. This should keep your bread from getting soggy.
Once you’ve done this, place your sandwiches in an airtight container.
They should last for 3 or 4 days without going bad, but you’ll need to heat them up properly to restore their ooey-gooey goodness.
To reheat your sandwiches, you can either place them back on the stovetop for a few minutes or use an air fryer. To use your air fryer, preheat it to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and warm the sandwiches through for 3 minutes on each side. They should come out crunchy and delicious.
Can I Freeze?
You can freeze these Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese Sandwiches for up to 6 weeks if you store them properly. Simply add one sandwich to a ziptop bag and place them in the freezer. Make sure that you freeze them flat, or you may end up defrosting a mushy mess.
Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
If you loved my Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese Sandwich recipe, you’re bound to adore my alternative twists on the classic grilled cheese!
- Caramel Apple Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Honey Banana Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Taco Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Blueberry Brie Grilled Cheese Sandwich
You’ll also like these Cheese Stuffed Jalapenos.
Follow me on Instagram @simplystacieblog, Facebook at Simply Stacie, TikTok @simplystacierecipes or Pinterest at @simplystacie and let me know how you liked this recipe and my other recipes.
If you make the recipe, rate it on the recipe card below and tag me on Instagram and use #simplystacie. I like sharing the photos on my Instagram stories!
- 3 jalapeno peppers, cut in half lengthwise and seeded
- 6 slices white bread
- butter, room temperature
- cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 tablespoon tortilla chips, crumbled
- Place the peppers on a baking sheet with the cut side facing down.
- Place the baking sheet on the top shelf in the oven and broil until the outer layer of the skin has blackened, about 10 minutes.
- Place the peppers in a zip-lock bag and seal and let them cool for 20 minutes.
- Remove the skins from the peppers by “pinching” them off.
- Butter the outside of each slice of bread and spread the cream cheese on the inside. Top with two jalapenos and then sprinkle on cheese. Add on crumbled tortilla chips and then the to other slice of bread.
- Cook in a non-stick pan on the stove at medium heat until outside is golden brown and the cheese is melted.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 3 Serving Size: 1 sandwich
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 791Total Fat: 35.5gSaturated Fat: 18.1gTrans Fat: 0.4gUnsaturated Fat: 13.8gCholesterol: 82.5mgSodium: 359.8mgCarbohydrates: 93.8gFiber: 5.9gSugar: 5gProtein: 23.7g