This Caramel Apple Grilled Cheese Sandwich is a quick, easy, and mouthwatering breakfast, lunch, snack, or dessert. It’s made with buttery, golden bread layered with creamy mascarpone, apple pie filling, and caramel sauce.
This grilled cheese sandwich tastes like cheesecake. I’m not kidding. It’s made with white bread slathered with butter, a sweet and creamy layer of mascarpone cheese, apple pie filling, and caramel sundae sauce. I cannot get enough of this flavor combination!
Of course, this may not be the kind of lunch you’re indulging in every day, but it’s the perfect way to satisfy your midday sweet tooth. Moderation is key, after all!
This dessert grilled cheese sandwich is a little messy to eat, so you may want to grab a spoon or fork to scoop up all those deliciously sweet bites that fall on your plate.
Why You’ll Love this Caramel Apple Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- As simple as you want. You can keep it extra simple with pre-made apple pie filling and caramel sauce OR make homemade versions of each.
- Breakfast, lunch, or dessert. Enjoy this sandwich as a sweet breakfast or lunch or whip it up for a heartier dessert.
- Delicious flavor. It tastes like cheesecake! What’s not to love about that?
The full printable recipe card with measurements and instructions is found at the bottom of the post.
- Butter: I like to use salted butter for a little bit of flavor. Be sure to soften it first so it’s easily spreadable.
- Bread: I recommend a standard white bread for this recipe.
- Mascarpone Cheese: Adds a creamy, slightly tangy sweetness to the sandwich.
- Apple Pie Filling: You can use store-bought apple pie filling to keep it quick and easy or use a recipe to make your own. Making your own? Check out my apple pie spice!
- Caramel Sauce: If you’re trying to keep it quick, you can use store-bought caramel sauce. Otherwise, my homemade caramel sauce is a delicious option!
How to Make a Caramel Apple Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Step One: Spread butter on one side of each slice of bread.
- Step Two: On the non-buttered side, add toppings and cover with other slice of buttered bread. The buttered side should be facing outwards.
- Step Three: Heat a skillet to medium-high heat. Grill each side for 2 to 3 minutes or until desired doneness is reached. Cut in half and enjoy hot!
This post contains affiliate links.
What to Serve with a Caramel Apple Grilled Cheese Sandwich
This caramel apple grilled cheese sandwich is delicious on its own as a sweet breakfast, lunch, or even dessert. However, it’s also great as part of a larger meal with a couple of sides! Here are a few ideas:
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- Butter the outside of the sandwich. When you assemble the grilled cheese, be sure that the buttered side of the bread is facing out. The butter is what helps the bread get crispy and golden brown.
- Preheat the skillet. It should be nice and hot before you add the grilled cheese so it starts toasting right away.
- Serve right away. As with most grilled cheese sandwiches, this one is best served hot off the pan.
Variations and Substitutions
- No mascarpone? You can swap it out for cream cheese instead, although it won’t be quite as sweet.
- Use another type of bread. Honey wheat bread is also a delicious option.
- Make it a little savory. Give it a smoky, salty twist with a sprinkle of cooked bacon bits.
Grilled cheese sandwiches are definitely best served right away while they’re still toasty and warm. However, if you do happen to have leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
To reheat, simply warm back in a skillet until heated through and re-crisped.
Can this be frozen?
Technically, yes, but I recommend doing so before cooking. Simply assemble the sandwiches, then wrap them tightly and store them in the freezer for up to 3 months.
When you’re ready to cook and serve them, let them thaw in the fridge first!
More Caramel Apple Treats You’ll Love
- Caramel Apple Tarts
- Caramel Apple Pizza
- Caramel Apple Cookies
- Caramel Apple Cupcakes
- Caramel Apple Dump Cake
- Copycat Taco Bell Air Fryer Caramel Apple Empanadas
Caramel Apple Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 3 tsp salted butter softened
- 2 slices bread
- 3 tsp mascarpone cheese
- 3 tsp apple pie filling
- 1 tsp caramel sauce
- Spread butter on one side of each slice of bread.
- On the non-buttered side, add toppings and cover with other slice of buttered bread. The buttered side should be facing outwards.
- Heat a skillet to medium-high heat. Grill each side for 2 to 3 minutes or until desired doneness is reached. Cut in half and enjoy hot!
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.