A Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese Sandwich will take your lunch to a whole new spicy level!
This month I’m participating in the Crazy Cooking Challenge hosted by Moms Crazy Cooking and the theme is grilled cheese sandwiches. I found a recipe for Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese Sandwich on Closet Cooking that looked like something we would like.
Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese
I love the flavours of Jalapeno Poppers and was curious to see what they would be like in a sandwich version. It’s fun to take a recipe and a little twist to it.
I was blown away with how yummy this Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese was. The bread was buttery and crispy on the outside and inside was an explosion of flavour. The cream cheese, melty cheddar and spicy jalapenos were to die for. The tortilla chips added a crunch of texture.
It turned out beautifully and John even asked for them again the next day! They are little bit more effort to make because you have to roast the jalapenos, but my gosh, they are SO worth it. I swear this will become your favourite sandwich once you give it a try.
How to Make a Jalapeno Grilled Cheese Sandwich
The first step is to roast the jalapenos. Place them on a baking sheet with the cut side facing down.
Broil oven the top shelf until the outer layer of skin has blackened, about 10 minutes.
Place the peppers in a plastic ziploc back and seal. Let them cool for 20 minutes.
Remove the skin of the jalapenos by pinching them off.
Butter the outside of each slice of bread and spread cream cheese on the inside. Top with two jalapenos and then sprinkle on cheese. Add crumbled tortilla chips and then the other slice of bread.
Cook on the stove at medium heat until outside is golden and the cheese is melted.
Helpful Kitchen Tools
This post contains affiliate links.
I had to share the sandwich cut so you could see the ooey gooey-ness of the inside. My mouth is watering now!
The kids might not like this sandwich if they aren’t into spicy food. My girls are soooo picky so they wouldn’t even try it. That’s fine, though. More for me! I can easily eat two servings (maybe more if I’m really hungry….)
This sandwich is a little more effort to make than a regular grilled cheese sandwich, but I promise that it’s SO worth it.
Grilled Cheese Recipes
I have several grilled cheese sandwich twists on the blog.
- Caramel Apple Grilled Cheese Sandwich: One of the most delicious dessert grilled cheese sandwiches you’ll ever have!
- Honey Banana Grilled Cheese Sandwich: Elevate your breakfast with a sweet sandwich your family will love!
- Taco Grilled Cheese Sandwich: Celebrate National Grilled Cheese Day by taking two recipe favourites and combining them into one mouthwatering sandwich! So easy. So good.
- Blueberry Brie Grilled Cheese Sandwich: Yes, lunch can actually be a dessert! Enjoy the decadence.
What are your favourite grilled cheese sandwiches?
- 3 jalapeno peppers, cut in half lengthwise and seeded
- 6 slices white bread
- butter, room temperature
- cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 tablespoon tortilla chips, crumbled
- Place the peppers on a baking sheet with the cut side facing down.
- Place the baking sheet on the top shelf in the oven and broil until the outer layer of the skin has blackened, about 10 minutes.
- Place the peppers in a zip-lock bag and seal and let them cool for 20 minutes.
- Remove the skins from the peppers by “pinching” them off.
- Butter the outside of each slice of bread and spread the cream cheese on the inside. Top with two jalapenos and then sprinkle on cheese. Add on crumbled tortilla chips and then the to other slice of bread.
- Cook in a non-stick pan on the stove at medium heat until outside is golden brown and the cheese is melted.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 3 Serving Size: 1 sandwich
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 791Total Fat: 35.5gSaturated Fat: 18.1gTrans Fat: 0.4gUnsaturated Fat: 13.8gCholesterol: 82.5mgSodium: 359.8mgCarbohydrates: 93.8gFiber: 5.9gSugar: 5gProtein: 23.7g