You’ll love how easy this hot and creamy homemade dip is to make. Filled with melty cheese, crab meat and spices, Crab Dip is the perfect party appetizer and is ready in about 35 minutes.
One of my favorite party appetizers to make is hot crab dip. It’s baked in the oven to creamy, cheesy perfection and is loaded with flavor. This is one dip that is always gone before the end of the night!
If you are planning a get together, party or looking for game day recipes, you need to add this crab dip recipe to the menu.
Double or even triple the recipe if you need to or make a few batches. Don’t forget the crackers for dipping! Or if you want, grab a spoon, I wont judge.
I will make this easy dip recipe sometimes when it’s just my spouse and I at home. He loves to eat while he’s playing hockey on his Xbox.
Why You’ll Love This Cheesy Crab Dip
- Easy to make in the oven
- Creamy, cheesy and packed with delicious crab flavor
- Perfect party appetizer
- Hearty and addicting Super Bowl recipe
- Minimal prep
- Ready in about 35 minutes
- Perfect for potlucks
- Make in advance and bake when you are ready to serve
- Cream cheese – I used a whole package of softened cream cheese. I don’t use the “light” version.
- Mayonnaise – My favorite mayonnaise to use is Hellmann’s. I don’t use the light version.
- Sour cream – I prefer to use regular sour cream (not light or fat-free) for extra creaminess.
- Lemon juice – You can squeeze a fresh lemon or use bottled lemon juice.
- Worcestershire sauce
- Onion powder
- Salt and pepper
- Canned crab meat – I buy the can of chunk crab meat (lump crab meat) found in the tuna aisle at the grocery store. Fresh crab meat isn’t readily available where I live.
- Cheddar cheese – I don’t recommend buying the pre-shredded cheese. I find it melts funny. It’s best to shred your own cheese to use.
- Fresh chives – You can substitute sliced green onions or leave them out completely if you like.
How to Make Hot Crab Dip
Step One: Preheat oven to 350F.
Step Two: Add cream cheese, mayonnaise, sour cream, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, onion powder, paprika, salt and pepper to a mixing bowl. Beat with a mixer on medium speed until smooth (about 2 minutes).
Step Three: Stir in crab meat, cheddar cheese and chives.
Step Four: Transfer mixture to a 24oz baking dish. Bake for 25 minutes. Serve hot with crackers or baguette slices.
This post contains affiliate links.
What to Serve with Hot Crab Dip Recipe
- Baked Chicken Wings – Made with an amazing honey garlic sauce!
- Cheeseburger Pizza – Load up your favorite cheeseburger toppings and eat them pizza-style.
- Bacon Wrapped Water Chestnuts – SO ADDICTING! This party appetizer is a must-make.
- Buffalo Chicken Sliders – Slow cooked spicy buffalo shredded chicken served on a slider bun with ranch dressing.
- Air Fryer Pizza – Everyone can have their own personal air fried pizza to suit their tastes.
Variations and Substitutions
- Add some heat to your crab dip by adding a dash of hot sauce or Tabasco sauce.
- Substitute Asiago cheese or white cheddar cheese for the shredded cheddar cheese.
- Add 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of Old Bay Seasoning instead of the paprika for even more depth of flavor. Old Bay Seasoning pairs amazing with all things seafood.
- Use sliced green onions instead of fresh chives.
- Use fresh crab meat if you prefer and have access to it.
Best Way to Store Leftover Crab Dip
If by some crazy chance, you do have leftovers, I recommend covering it with plastic wrap and storing in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Can I Freeze?
Yes, you can freeze crab dip. Make sure to store it in an airtight freezer safe container. It will keep for about 3 months.
Can I Make Ahead?
You can make this dip ahead of time and store it, unbaked, in the fridge. Let it sit at room temperature while the oven is preheating and then bake when you are ready to eat.
Can I eat this dip cold?
You can, but it’s much better served as a hot crab dip. If it didn’t have the melted cheddar cheese, it would taste good served cold.
What is the best crab meat for crab dip?
I prefer lump crab meat (either canned or fresh if you can get it). I don’t recommend using imitation crab meat.
What can I dip in hot crab dip?
- Crackers – Ritz Crackers are so good.
- Sliced baguette pieces
- Pita wedges
- Celery sticks
- Butter crackers or saltine crackers
- Sourdough bread
- Air fryer tortilla chips
- Melba toast
Hot Dip Recipes
You’ll also like these Air Fryer Crab Cakes.
Follow me on Instagram @simplystacieblog, Facebook at Simply Stacie or Pinterest at @simplystacie and let me know how you liked this recipe and my other recipes.
If you make the recipe, rate it on the recipe card below and tag me on Instagram and use #simplystacie. I like sharing the photos on my Instagram stories!
- 1 package cream cheese (8oz/250g) softened
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ½ cup canned crab meat drained
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 tbsp fresh chives chopped
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Add cream cheese, mayonnaise, sour cream, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, onion powder, paprika, salt and pepper to a mixing bowl. Beat with a mixer on medium speed until smooth (about 2 minutes).
- Stir in crab meat, cheddar cheese and chives.
- Transfer mixture to a 24oz baking dish. Bake for 25 minutes. Serve hot with crackers or baguette slices.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Leave a Reply