Meatball Stuffed Mushrooms are an easy and quick appetizer featuring homemade meatballs, marinara sauce, and cheese nestled in fresh mushrooms for an impressive and delicious bite. These delectable little packages combine all the cozy flavors you love, making them a must-have at your next gathering.
These stuffed mushroom caps will get an extreme wow factor from your guests! Whether you use portobello mushrooms or baby bella mushrooms in this recipe, the reaction will remain the same! These fancy stuffed meatballs look like the kind of finger food you’d find in poker rooms or cocktail parties. They are also as tasty at your house during a football game or board game night.
These golden brown mushroom meatballs stand out because of the ease of preparation and big taste! This is an excellent appetizer for a large party or a family movie night. Even if someone isn’t a mushroom fan, they will dig into these!
Why You’ll Love Meatball Stuffed Mushrooms
- Delicious appetizer. Medium mushrooms are stuffed with mini meatballs. They are the perfect size to be finger food.
- Makes a delicious meatball. Even if you don’t add them to meatballs, this recipe makes a tasty meatball that you can use in other ways.
- Easy to make ahead. You can make them a few days before the party; they only take 40 minutes, so they are easy to make last minute.
- Flavorful. The depth of flavor of these meatballs is impressive, with a perfect combination of herbs and spices.
- Versatile. Change the meat or cheese – you can even use cream cheese! There are so many different ways to make these little stuffed meatballs.
The full printable recipe card with measurements and instructions is found at the bottom of the post.
There are two parts to these appetizers – the meatballs and the mushrooms. Here is what you’ll need for each part.
For The Meatballs:
- Ground Beef: For the best results, use lean ground beef.
- Parmesan Cheese: It’s always best to shred the parmesan cheese at home instead of using a bag of pre-shredded cheese.
- Garlic And Herb Seasoning: Use your favorite spice blend.
- Italian Breadcrumbs: Flavored breadcrumbs make the meatballs taste even better.
- Egg: An egg acts as a binder, holding everything together.
- Garlic Powder: Use garlic powder, not garlic salt; this way, the meatballs won’t be too salty.
- Onion Powder: The garlic and onion powder work well together, enhancing each other.
- Sea Salt: Add a small amount to prevent it from tasting too salty.
- Black Pepper: Add enough to bring out all the other flavors.
- Baby Bella Mushrooms: Use your favorite type of round mushrooms, as long as they are big enough to hold a meatball and the mushroom stems are removed.
- Marinara Sauce: A jar of marinara sauce is already seasoned, but you can also use tomato sauce and add your spices.
- Shredded Mozzarella Cheese: We only use freshly shredded mozzarella from a block; this ensures the cheese melts nicely.
- Fresh Basil: This is optional and used at the end as a garnish.
How to Make Meatball Stuffed Mushrooms
- Step One: Preheat the oven to 400°F. Spray a large sheet tray with cooking spray and set aside.
- Step Two: Mix the ground beef, parmesan, breadcrumbs, egg, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper until combined. Set aside.
- Step Three: Clean the mushrooms and take out the stems. Place them bottom-side up on the prepared sheet tray.
- Step Four: Roll one tablespoon of the meat mixture into a ball and place it on top of the mushroom. Repeat with the remaining meat and mushrooms.
- Step Five: Place 2 marinara sauce teaspoons on each meatball.
- Step Six: Bake for 15 minutes or until the meatball reaches 160°F. Top evenly with the cheese. Bake for an additional 5 minutes until melted. If you want to brown the cheese, turn the broiler on high and broil for a few minutes to your desired color. Make sure to watch it closely, or they may burn.
- Step Seven: Serve with more parmesan on top, fresh basil, and marinara on the side if desired. Serve immediately.
This post contains affiliate links.
- Baking Sheet – You’ll bake the meatballs on a cookie sheet or baking tray.
- Nonstick Spray – This prevents the mushrooms and meatballs from sticking to the tray.
- Mixing Bowls – Use mixing bowls to mix the meatball mixture.
- Small Melon Baller – This is optional but helps scoop out the mushrooms.
What to Serve with Meatball Stuffed Mushrooms
These mushrooms taste best when you serve them warm. Here are some more hot appetizers that will taste delicious with them.
- Air Fryer Bisquick Sausage Balls
- Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp
- Cheeseburger Egg Rolls
- Air Fryer Crab Cakes
- Air Fryer Zucchini Chips
- Buffalo Chicken Dip
Variations and Substitutions
- Make It Low-Carb. Use pork rind crumbs instead of bread crumbs in the meatball mixture.
- Use Different Meat. You can use ground chicken, ground turkey, or Italian sausage instead of ground beef.
- Make it Spicier. Add some red pepper flakes to the meatballs.
- Use Different Types of Cheese. Other cheese options: provolone, gruyere, fontina, or fresh mozzarella must be shredded.
Place the stuffed meatballs in an airtight container and refrigerate for 3-4 days. To freeze, separate stuffed mushrooms with waxed paper, place them in a freezer bag and freeze for up to 3 months.
Meatball Stuffed Mushrooms Tips and Tricks
- Make sure you use lean ground beef. We used 85/15. This is to ensure the meatball doesn’t shrink as much and won’t produce excess fat.
- Some liquid will escape the mushroom and meat during baking; that is okay.
- This makes about 28 mushrooms, but it will vary on the size of the mushrooms you get at the store. A small to medium mushroom works best for this recipe if you pick them yourself.
- You can also fry the meatballs in a hot skillet or small saucepan. Brown the meatballs in a large skillet over medium heat with a couple of tablespoons of olive oil. You will need to brown in batches; do not overcrowd the pan. Or, you can bake them, place them on a greased sheet tray, and bake for 15-20 minutes until an internal temperature reaches 165°F.
Can I Use Frozen Meatballs?
We have not tested this recipe with frozen meatballs, but there are some things you should keep in mind if you want to use frozen meatballs. First, I suggest pre-cooking the meatballs. If you try to add frozen meatballs to the mushrooms, they might produce extra liquid as they bake, which could throw off the recipe a bit. You will also need to ensure the meatballs fit into the mushrooms.
How To Reheat
Reheat in the microwave or the oven. It’s best to reheat them in the oven or air fryer because the microwave will greatly soften the mushrooms.
The meat will cook completely while these bake. So, there is no need to precook the meat.
Save this recipe because you can use the meatballs in spaghetti or smother them in BBQ sauce and enjoy BBQ meatballs.
This recipe makes about 28 stuffed meatballs.
Want more tasty appetizer recipes that you can make at home? Here are some of my favorites:
- Chicken Pinwheels
- Zesty Shrimp Flatbread
- Meatball Sliders
- Bacon Ranch Deviled Eggs
- Keto Cheese Balls
- Pigs in a Blanket
- Slow Cooker Little Smokies
Meatball Stuffed Mushrooms
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese grated, plus more for serving
- ¼ cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 1 egg large
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp fine sea salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 lb baby bella mushrooms
- 1 ¼ cup marinara sauce plus more for serving
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- fresh basil for garnish, optional
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray a large sheet pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- Mix the ground beef, Parmesan cheese, breadcrumbs, egg, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper together until combined. Set aside.
- Clean the mushrooms and remove the stems. Place them bottom side up on the prepared sheet pan.
- Take 1 tablespoon of the meat mixture and roll it into a ball. Place it on top of the mushroom. Repeat with remaining meat and mushrooms.
- Place 2 tablespoons of marinara sauce on top of each meatball.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the meatball reaches 160°F. Top evenly with mozzarella cheese. Bake an additional 5 minutes until melted. If you want to brown the cheese, turn the broiler on high and broil for a few minutes to your desired color. Make sure to watch it closely or they may burn.
- Serve with more Parmesan on top, fresh baisl and marinara on the side, if desired. Serve immediately.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.