Buffalo chicken dip is a party favorite that everyone loves. This tangy, creamy, and delicious appetizer combines the flavors of buffalo wings and the convenience of a dip. With ingredients like chicken, cream cheese, ranch dressing, hot sauce, and cheese, it’s easy to make and a great way to please a crowd at any get-together or family gathering.
Imagine attending a game day event or a cozy gathering with friends and bringing this irresistible dip to share. You’ll quickly become the MVP of any social occasion. The secret to a perfect buffalo chicken dip is blending the spiciness of hot sauce with the creaminess of the cheese, creating an unforgettable taste everyone craves.
If you are a Buffalo Wings fan, you will LOVE this cheesy dip. I combined all the ingredients you’d typically serve with Buffalo Wings into a mouthwatering dip form. Each bite is a flavor explosion with this easy recipe.
Why You’ll Love Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Creaminess: The combination of cream cheese, sour cream, and ranch dressing creates a rich and velvety base that envelops the tender shreds of chicken, elevating the overall texture of the party dip to the next level.
- Flavor: Buffalo dip packs a punch of flavor with its buffalo hot sauce. The tangy and spicy flavors are balanced by the creaminess of the cheese, making your taste buds crave more.
- Cheesiness: With two kinds of shredded cheese, blue cheese, and cream cheese, this buffalo dip is super indulgent and cheesy, giving it a satisfying mouthfeel that everyone adores.
- Customizable: You can easily adjust the hot sauce or add your favorite spices to cater to your taste buds or dietary preferences. The recipe is versatile enough to be enjoyed by everyone, whether you like it hot or not.
- Serving options: Buffalo chicken dip pairs well with various dippables such as crackers, veggies, or chips, making it a favorite appetizer for any party or gathering.
- Easy to make: With just a few simple steps and only seven ingredients, buffalo chicken dip is a quick and fuss-free option for busy hosts or anyone looking to whip up a tasty appetizer in no time.
The full printable recipe card with measurements and instructions is found at the bottom of the post.
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts: They provide the protein base for this crowd-pleasing dip.
- Cream cheese: Softened for easy mixing, it adds a creamy texture to the dip.
- Buffalo wing sauce: Brings that classic, spicy flavor you love in buffalo chicken. I like to use Frank’s Red Hot Buffalo Sauce.
- Ranch dressing: Mellows out the spice while contributing to the creamy consistency.
- Blue cheese: Crumbled to give a tangy kick and complement the bold buffalo flavor.
- Cheddar cheese: Shredded for a melty texture and a mild contrast to the other bold elements.
- Monterey Jack cheese: Shredded, its mild yet distinct flavor melds seamlessly with the other cheeses.
- Green onions: These will add a pop of color and a fresh, subtle flavor as a garnish.
How to Make the Best Buffalo Chicken Dip Recipe
- Step One: Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Step Two: Spread cream cheese in a 1.5-quart casserole dish or 9-inch square baking dish. Top with chicken, Buffalo wing sauce, and Ranch dressing.
- Step Three: Top with cheddar cheese, Monterey Jack cheese, and blue cheese.
- Step Four: Bake for 25 minutes. Top with green onions. Serve hot with corn chips, baguette crisps, celery or carrots.
This post contains affiliate links.
- Oven-safe baking dish: You’ll need this to bake your buffalo chicken dip in an even layer. I like a 1.5-quart casserole dish or a 9-inch square baking dish. An 8-inch ovenproof or cast iron skillet can also work well.
- Rubber spatula: Spread the softened cream cheese in the casserole dish.
- Oven mitts: To safely handle the hot oven-safe dish or skillet when you remove it from the oven.
What to Serve with Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Crunchy veggies: Celery and carrot sticks are a classic pairing with buffalo chicken dip. They’re crispy and crunchy and offer a refreshing break from the rich dip flavors. You can also serve crunchy veggies like cucumber, bell pepper slices, or cherry tomatoes.
- Chips or crackers: You can’t go wrong with serving your buffalo chicken dip and some crispy chips or crackers. Pita chips, corn chips, tortilla chips, and flatbread crackers provide a satisfying crunch as you scoop up the tangy, creamy goodness.
- Pretzels and pretzel bites: For a fun twist, serve your buffalo chicken dip with pretzels or pretzel bites. The salty flavor complements the tangy dip, making for an irresistible snack combination.
- Bread options: If you prefer a more substantial side to serve with buffalo chicken dip, consider options like toasted baguette slices, pita wedges, or mini croissants. These bread options provide variety and a satisfying heft to your snack selection.
Variations and Substitutions
Buffalo chicken dip is a versatile dish, and it’s easy to customize the recipe to your taste preferences or based on what you have in your kitchen. Here are a few suggestions for variations and substitutions that you can try.
Different Proteins: If you don’t have shredded chicken on hand, you can easily use other proteins such as:
- Shredded turkey
- Shredded pork
- Chopped shrimp
- Canned chicken
Cheese Options: The classic choice for buffalo chicken dip is cheddar cheese, but you can also switch it up with other varieties like:
- Mozzarella cheese
- Pepper Jack cheese
- Gouda cheese
- Colby Jack cheese
Add-Ins for Extra Flavor: Get creative with your buffalo chicken dip by adding extra ingredients to complement the dish’s bold flavors. Some ideas include:
- Diced jalapenos
- Chopped green onions
- Sliced black olives
- Chopped bacon
Extra Spices: Pack more flavor punch by including some different spices. Make a spicy buffalo chicken dip if your taste buds can handle it. Some spices to try:
- Onion powder
- Black pepper
- Cayenne pepper
Healthier Alternatives: If you’d like to make your buffalo chicken dip a little healthier, consider these options:
- Use reduced-fat cream cheese or Greek yogurt instead of full-fat cream cheese
- Opt for a lighter cheese, such as part-skim mozzarella
After enjoying your delicious dip, be sure to refrigerate any leftovers promptly. Place the remaining buffalo chicken dip in an airtight container to keep it fresh. This method will allow you to safely store your dip in the refrigerator for up to three days.
Can I Freeze?
Yes, you can freeze buffalo chicken dip! This is a convenient way to save leftovers or even prepare your dip ahead of time for upcoming events. There are a couple of tips to keep in mind when freezing the dip to ensure the best quality when it’s time to reheat and serve.
First, you can freeze buffalo chicken dip before or after cooking it. To freeze it before cooking, mix all the ingredients and place the uncooked dip in an airtight, freezer-safe container. Label the container with the date and store it in the freezer for up to three months.
When ready to serve the pre-made dip, simply defrost it in the fridge. After it’s thawed, heat it in the oven or a slow cooker until it’s hot and bubbly. Be sure to stir it well while heating to ensure all the ingredients are well mixed and evenly heated.
If you have leftovers, you can freeze cooked buffalo chicken dip. To do this, allow the dip to cool completely, then place it in a freezer-safe container. Like with the uncooked dip, label the container with the date and store it in the freezer for up to three months.
When it’s time to reheat the frozen leftover dip, you may need extra care, as the cheese and creamy components may separate when thawing. Thaw the dip in the fridge before reheating it in the oven or a slow cooker to avoid a grainy or watery texture. As with uncooked dip, stirring periodically during reheating can help ensure a smooth and creamy result.
Can I Make Ahead?
Yes, you absolutely can make Buffalo Chicken Dip ahead of time! Preparing it in advance allows you to save time and focus on other aspects of your party or event.
To make a delicious make-ahead Buffalo Chicken Dip, follow the recipe, but don’t bake it. Cover the dish and store it in the refrigerator for 48 hours. This will allow the flavors to meld together, creating an even tastier dip.
When you’re ready to serve the dip, preheat your oven and bake the dish according to the recipe’s instructions. If you want to serve it warm, this is the perfect time.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- Chicken Choices: You have various options for the chicken in your dip. You can use shredded poached chicken, baked chicken breasts, thighs, or rotisserie chicken. Even leftover Thanksgiving turkey or canned chicken can work in a pinch.
- Creamy Consistency: To achieve a smooth and creamy texture, soften the cream cheese before mixing it with other ingredients. This will help it blend seamlessly with the buffalo sauce and ranch dressing.
- Customize the Heat: Adjust the spiciness of your Buffalo chicken dip by using more or less hot sauce. You can also try different types of hot sauce to find the one that suits your taste buds the best.
- Cheese Choices: While cheddar cheese is quite common, you can also experiment with other types of cheese. Blue cheese is a popular choice that adds an extra kick to the dip. Don’t be afraid to get creative and try a mix of your favorite cheeses.
- Baking Tips: Bake the dip at 350°F until it’s bubbly and golden brown. If you’re short on time, you can heat the dip in a microwave, but keep an eye on it to avoid overheating.
- Serving Suggestions: Serve your Buffalo chicken dip with various dippers, such as tortilla chips, celery sticks, carrot sticks, or even chunks of bread. This way, you’ll provide different textures and flavors for your guests.
How to Make Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Dip
You can season your chicken breasts with salt, pepper, and garlic powder to make a fantastic Crockpot Buffalo Chicken Dip. Place the seasoned chicken in the slow cooker and cover it with a lid. Cook on low until the chicken is cooked, which should take about 3 hours.
Once your chicken is cooked, drain the accumulated juices and shred the chicken using a hand mixer or two forks. Now, it’s time to add the remaining ingredients. Combine the shredded chicken, cream cheese, cheddar cheese, Monterey Jack cheese, blue cheese, buffalo sauce, and ranch dressing in the slow cooker. Make sure to blend all the ingredients evenly.
Cook the mixture on low for around 2 to 4 hours, stirring occasionally to ensure even cooking and melting of cheeses. While the dip is cooking, feel free to adjust the ingredients to your taste, especially the buffalo sauce’s level of spiciness.
History of Buffalo Chicken Dip
Buffalo Chicken Dip has its roots in the iconic flavor of Buffalo chicken wings, which were first created in Buffalo, New York. The dip combines the tangy, spicy taste of hot sauce with the creaminess of cheese and ranch dressing, giving you a deliciously balanced snack.
The key to a good Buffalo Chicken Dip is finding the right balance between the hot sauce and the creaminess of the other ingredients. Some prefer their dip to be spicier, while others lean toward a milder taste. You can adjust the hot sauce amount to suit your preferences.
This dip is typically served warm with tortilla chips, celery sticks, or other dippable snacks. It makes a perfect addition to any gathering, from game day celebrations to casual get-togethers with friends.
Best Chips for Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Tortilla Chips: A classic and popular option, tortilla chips are sturdy and ideal for scooping up hefty portions of buffalo chicken dip. Their mild flavor allows the bold taste of the dip to shine through but also adds a touch of saltiness that complements the dish. Opt for a thicker, restaurant-style tortilla chip for best results.
- Pita Chips: Pita chips are an excellent choice for a more substantial bite. Like tortilla chips, their mild flavor doesn’t overpower the buffalo chicken dip. The thickness and density of pita chips can stand up to even the heaviest of dips.
- Baguette Slices: For a more sophisticated dipping experience, lightly toasted baguette slices combine a crispy exterior and soft interior that melds beautifully with the creamy texture of buffalo chicken dip. Plus, the subtle bread flavor pairs nicely with the bold flavors of the dip.
- Carrot Sticks: Should you desire a healthier option, crunchy carrot sticks add a bit of color to your snack platter and provide a refreshing contrast to the richness of the buffalo chicken dip. Carrot sticks bring out the tangy notes of the dip and offer a guilt-free way to indulge.
- Celery Sticks: Like carrot sticks, celery sticks provide a healthy alternative to chips and bread. Their natural crunchiness and mild flavor offer the perfect vessel for delivering a delicious mouthful of buffalo chicken dip while still enjoying some nutritional benefits.
Best Chicken for Buffalo Chicken Dip
Shredded poached chicken is a popular choice for buffalo chicken dip. It’s tender, moist, and easily shredded, making it easy to combine with other ingredients. To make it, simply poach your chicken breasts in a pot of gently simmering water until fully cooked. Once cooled, shred the meat using two forks or a stand mixer.
If you’re short on time, rotisserie chicken from your local supermarket can be a game-changer. It’s seasoned, cooked, and ready to shred. Its savory flavor adds an extra layer of deliciousness to your buffalo chicken dip. Just make sure to remove the skin and bones before shredding the meat.
Another great option is to use baked chicken breasts or thighs. Season and bake the chicken until fully cooked, then shred it for your dip. This method gives you control over the seasoning, allowing you to tailor the flavor profile to match your buffalo sauce and other ingredients.
In a pinch, feel free to use canned chicken. While it may not be ideal, it offers a convenient and quick solution. Be sure to drain the chicken well and break it up into small chunks for optimal consistency.
Finally, if you’re feeling adventurous and have some leftover Thanksgiving turkey, use it! The turkey’s mild flavor pairs well with buffalo sauce, making it a surprisingly tasty stand-in for chicken.
Best Hot Sauce for Buffalo Chicken Dip
Quality hot sauce will amp up the flavor and spice, giving your dip that authentic buffalo wing taste. Here are a few hot sauce options to elevate your buffalo chicken dip to the next level.
Frank’s RedHot Buffalo Wings Sauce: This classic option is a crowd favorite for a reason. Its balance of spice, tang, and flavor is spot on, and many people have grown up using Frank’s RedHot for their buffalo sauce needs.
Tabasco Buffalo Style Hot Sauce: If you’re a fan of the iconic Tabasco taste, their buffalo-style hot sauce should be on your shopping list. This sauce adds a unique spin to your dip with its signature peppery undertones and slightly smoky flavor.
Texas Pete Buffalo Wing Sauce: Texas Pete is an excellent choice for those who prefer a milder kick without compromising on flavor. This hot sauce is less spicy but still delivers a robust buffalo flavor to your dip.
Cholula Hot Sauce: If you want a distinct flavor profile, try Cholula! Cholula has a blend of spices and flavors that deviate from traditional buffalo sauce and could give your dip an unforgettable taste. Its heat level might be a bit lower than other options.
Can I Use a Different Flavor of Hot Sauce?
Of course, you can customize your buffalo chicken dip with your preferred hot sauce flavor! The classic choice for this type of dip is Frank’s RedHot Original Hot Sauce, but feel free to experiment with different flavors to find the one you like the most.
When choosing an alternative hot sauce, it’s essential to consider the heat level and flavor profile. If you’re new to trying different hot sauces, select a milder option to avoid overwhelming your taste buds. Some popular choices include sweet chili, chipotle, or even a mild barbecue sauce.
It’s also essential to keep in mind any additional ingredients that might alter the flavor of your buffalo chicken dip. For instance, some hot sauces include ingredients like garlic, lime, or even fruit, which may change the overall flavor of the dip. While these unique flavors can offer a fresh twist on the classic buffalo chicken dip, make sure it’s something that you and your guests will enjoy.
Remember, a simple way to ensure the dip’s spiciness is just right is to taste and adjust as you mix the ingredients. You can always add more, but removing the spiciness is almost impossible once it’s mixed in with the other components.
Can I Use Any Type of Cream Cheese?
Yes, you can use various types of cream cheese in your buffalo chicken dip. Traditional cream cheese, like Philadelphia, is popular due to its smooth, creamy texture and mild flavor.
If you want to experiment with different flavors, try flavored cream cheeses, such as garlic and herb or chive and onion. These varieties can add extra seasoning to your dip, but it’s essential to remember that they may alter the overall taste of your buffalo chicken dip.
Whipped cream cheese is another option, and it’s especially suitable for those who prefer a lighter, fluffier texture. Just remember that whipped cream cheese contains more air, which may cause your dip to be less dense and rich than traditional cream cheese. Remember that you may need to adjust the quantities when using whipped cream cheese.
Lastly, using reduced-fat or “light” cream cheese can work as a healthier alternative without compromising the dip’s deliciousness. These options typically achieve a similar texture and flavor to traditional cream cheese but with fewer calories and a lower fat content.
Absolutely! Incorporating blue cheese dressing in your buffalo chicken dip is a tasty option that adds a rich, tangy flavor. Combining the dressing with cream cheese creates a creamy, smooth consistency that complements spicy buffalo sauce well.
Buffalo chicken dip can sometimes turn out greasy, but don’t worry, there are a few reasons why this might happen, and with a bit of attention, you can avoid a greasy dip.
One of the main reasons your dip might be greasy is due to the cheese used in the recipe. Some cheeses have a higher oil content, or adding too much cheese can lead to a greasier texture. To fix this, try using a low-fat cheese or simply reducing the cheese in the recipe.
Another culprit could be the chicken itself. If you are using chicken with a high-fat content or not draining canned chicken thoroughly, it can contribute to a greasier dip. Be sure to choose leaner cuts of chicken or thoroughly drain any excess oil from canned chicken before adding it to the dip.
Hot Dip Recipes
- Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Tex Mex Spinach Dip
- Crockpot White Chili Chicken Dip
- Crab Dip
- Chicken Queso Dip
- Cheesy Bacon Bread Bowl
Buffalo Chicken Dip
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts cooked and shredded
- 1 package cream cheese softened (8oz/250g package))
- ½ cup buffalo wing sauce
- ½ cup ranch dressing
- ¼ cup blue cheese crumbled
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese shredded
- 3 green onions chopped, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spread cream cheese in a 1.5 quart casserole dish or 9-inch square baking dish. Top with chicken, Buffalo wing sauce and Ranch dressing. Top with cheddar cheese, Monterey Jack cheese and blue cheese.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Top with green onions. Serve hot with corn chips, baguette crisps, celery or carrots.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.