Chicken Queso Dip is the best hearty appetizer for game day! Dress up your Rotel dip with some seasoned chicken for an easy, cheesy, versatile dish in just minutes with almost no work.
Everyone loves a good dip. This Chicken Queso Dip is one of my tailgate staples with just 6 ingredients! If you love Rotel cheese dip, you’ll love this variation with juicy chicken seasoned with chili powder, cumin, and onion powder.
It’s not a game day spread without some cheese dip. I make this queso dip recipe and my Crockpot white chili chicken dip on rotation. It may not have your daily serving of veggies, but it’s hearty enough to make into a meal.
Everyone knows queso dip is my favorite, so I’m always looking for new variations. This is one of the best cheese dip recipes.
- Ground chicken
- Chili powder
- Onion powder
This easy chicken queso dip recipe is super delicious, I swear! I bet you already have everything you need with this short grocery list.
What I used for my Chicken Queso Dip
This post contains affiliate links.
- Measuring spoons and cups: While one of the most used things in my kitchen, I barely use measuring spoons for this recipe. If you like a little extra flavor, feel free to kick up the spices!
- Large skillet: To make the best ground chicken, be sure not to crowd the pan! The crispy edges of the chicken bring a great additional texture to this queso dip.
- Sauce pan: When you’re melting cheese, you need a good, heavy bottomed pan. This is one of my favorites! It also has a clear lid to see exactly what’s going on.
How to Make Chicken Queso Dip from Scratch
- First, brown the ground chicken in a little oil with the chili powder, cumin, and onion powder. Drain off any excess grease, and set the cooked chicken aside.
- Now, melt the Velveeta cubes, and mix in the cooked chicken and Rotel. Keep stirring until everything is warmed through.
That’s it! This is one of those recipes that barely NEEDS steps. That’s what makes rotel dip one of my favorite game day recipes.
If you want to make this cheese dip in the Crockpot, you can! Be sure to brown the chicken first, and put your slow cooker on low or warm until it’s time to serve.
What to Serve with Chicken Queso Dip
There’s nothing you can’t dip in this Chicken Queso Dip! I usually serve it with some tortilla chips and some celery sticks.
While most cheese is ok for keto, Velveeta is packed with carbs. Give your low-carb guests something to munch on with these yummy bacon cheese balls!
It’s just not a party with oven baked chicken wings. They’re smothered in a luscious honey garlic wing sauce that’s so good you can’t eat just one.
I love to make this easy queso dip to snack on when I make my mouthwatering Mexican meatloaf! It’s a great yummy appetizer, and my kids sometimes add it to the meatloaf.
What to Add to Queso Dip
When it comes to Rotel queso dip, it can be as simple as just Velveeta cheese and a couple cans of Rotel diced tomatoes and green chiles.
One of the easiest additions is protein! I like to keep my meat to white meats, so I use ground or shredded chicken in my queso dip. You can also add ground beef, sausage, pork, or even some bacon!
No matter what meat you use, make sure it’s fully cooked first. And don’t forget to drain any grease to avoid pools in your cheese dip.
You can always use the hot Rotel diced tomatoes and green chiles for some extra spice. If you want even more, add some sliced jalapeños, serranos, or habaneros on top!
If you’re looking for a hearty vegetarian dip, ditch the chicken and add white, kidney, or black beans. Fajita veggies are also a great addition to queso dip.
How Long does Velveeta Rotel Dip Last?
Since it’s so fast and easy to make, I don’t recommend freezing it. Velveeta can have a weird rubbery texture when thawed.
To reheat Velveeta queso dip, it’s best to use a sauce pot over low heat. Stir occasionally until everything is super smooth again.
If you’re using a microwave, be sure to reheat the queso dip in short bursts, stirring every few seconds.
Other amazing game day recipes to try…
- Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Bacon Ranch Deviled Eggs
- Creamy Salsa Dip
- Pizza Dip
- Chicken Bundles
- Spinach Artichoke Dip
- More appetizer recipes
Do you have any amazing queso dip recipes? I’m always looking for more recipes to try! Follow me on Instagram @simplystacieblog, on Facebook at Simply Stacie, and on Pinterest @SimplyStacie and let me know how you liked this and my other recipes!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 lb ground chicken
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 package (16 oz/450g) VELVEETA, cubed
- 1 (10oz/284ml) can of RO*TEL Diced Tomatoes with Green Chilies, undrained
- Heat olive oil in frying pan on the stove over medium high heat. Add the ground chicken, chili powder, cumin and onion powder.Stir to crumble the ground chicken and combine the spices. Cook until browned and drain fat (if any). Set aside.
- Add VELVEETA cubes to a medium saucepan and melt over medium heat, stirring frequently. Add in the ground chicken and the can of RO*TEL Diced Tomatoes with Green Chilies. Stir an additional 3 to 5 minutes, or until heated through.
- Serve immediately with your favorite tortilla chips.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 331Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 100mgSodium: 1436mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 0gSugar: 6gProtein: 22g