Breakfast or dessert? Your choice. I’m going with breakfast here. I’m obsessed with breakfast casseroles for a couple reasons. One being they are so easy to make with minimal prep work and no baby-sitting a hot a stove. They are also an awesome way to use up your leftovers.
Brown bananas? Check. Old bread? Check. Add a few other pantry staples and you can make your family this scrumptious Banana Bread Breakfast Casserole.
I used the Italian bread leftover from dinner and the bananas sitting on the counter that no one was eating. I hate to see food go to waste.
I ripped up the bread into bite sized pieces similar to the way you make stuffing for turkey. If you wanted to have uniform cubes, go ahead and cut them with a bread knife. I prefer the more “rustic” look. Plus, I was short on time.
I used evaporated milk instead of regular milk in this recipe. I had some cans in my pantry that I wanted to use before they expired. I find evaporated milk gives it a more creamy, toasty flavour.
Banana Bread Breakfast Casserole
Use up your brown bananas and leftover bread in this crowd-pleasing breakfast recipe! It comes together in 10 minutes, bakes for 1 hour and is a recipe you’ll find yourself making again and again.
- Cooking spray
- 7 cups thick slices of bread, ripped into cubes*
- 2 bananas, peeled and sliced
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 can (354ml) evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- Maple syrup and/or vanilla yogurt for toppings
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray a 9 inch square baking pan with cooking spray.
- Add bread pieces and banana slices to a large bowl. Set aside.
- In another bowl, mix together eggs, evaporated milk, water and brown sugar. Pour over the bread mixture and toss to combine making sure all the bread pieces are covered with the liquid mixture.
- Pour into prepared baking dish. Bake for 60 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Top with maple syrup and/or vanilla yogurt to serve.
*I used Italian bread
You don’t have to add toppings unless you want to. I drizzled some maple syrup (the real stuff!) and added a dollop of vanilla yogurt on top.
Have guests over for breakfast? This is the perfect recipe to make. You can enjoy coffee and chit chat while it’s baking in the oven.
I’ve got a bunch of other breakfast casserole recipes: Eggnog Breakfast Casserole, Apple Pie French Toast Casserole, Strawberry & Coconut Breakfast Casserole, Cinnamon Raisin Breakfast Casserole, Caramel Pecan Breakfast Casserole and Wife Saver Breakfast.
What is your favourite breakfast casserole?