Cinnamon Raisin Breakfast Casserole is a comforting way to start your day. A custard filled casserole that is cinnamon raisin flavor in every bite. Breakfast casseroles are my favorite way to make breakfast fun and easy.
I’ve been experimenting with different types of overnight breakfast casseroles. I made a decadent Caramel Pecan Breakfast Casserole where a sweet tooth is a must. It got the wheels turning as I thought about what else would taste good for breakfast.
Then it hit me. I saw raisin bread on sale in the flyer and knew what my next recipe would be. I whipped up this Cinnamon Raisin Breakfast Casserole and it couldn’t have turned out better!
The base is raisin bread which I love on it’s own slathered with butter for breakfast. Instead, it’s topped with a milk and egg mixture and brown sugar and cinnamon topping. It’s sweet, yes, but so darn yummy!
Serve with pancake syrup!
I guess another name for it could be a french toast casserole. It has just a few extras in it.
This casserole did not last long! I put a little bit of maple syrup on mine, but it would be fine without too. I know I’ll be making this recipe again and SOON!
I think next I’ll have to try a savory breakfast casserole to balance out all these sweet ones! The sweet ones are hard to resist though…
For more breakfast casserole recipes, check out my Eggnog Breakfast Casserole, Banana Bread Breakfast Casserole, Apple Pie French Toast Casserole, Caramel Pecan Breakfast Casserole, Wife Saver Breakfast and Hash Brown Quiche.
What If I Don’t Have Cinnamon Raisin Bread
If you don’t have cinnamon raisin bread or don’t like raisins you can always opt for regular bread. Or you could take it a step further and do croissants in replace of the bread.
You just want to ensure that the bread is stiffer in texture so that it soaks up the egg mixture that it can create the proper texture as it bakes up.
Can I Double This Casserole Bake Recipe
Yes, you sure can. Just make sure to reach for a second pan and bake it that way. You don’t want your casserole to be too thick in texture or you could run the risk of it not being fully cooked. So the best route when doubling is adding another pan and baking it that way.
You can also half the recipe and use an 8×8 size pan for a smaller portion if you need to.
How Long Can You Store Leftover Cinnamon Raisin Bread Casserole
You can store this leftover in the refrigerator for up to five days. It is best when served warm and fresh. But if you are looking for a quick reheat breakfast for the week this works too. Just warm it up in the microwave or opt to reheat covered in the oven.
Here are more breakfast recipes to make
- BBQ Eggs | These bbq eggs are so simple to make. If you are enjoying the great outdoors you can easily make these for your family, or opt to make them at home.
- Mediterranean Brunch Bake | If you love the Mediterranean feel, you will love this savory bake recipe. Whip it up and toss in the oven for a quick and easy breakfast or even dinner.
- Oatmeal Casserole | Oatmeal casserole is a fun take to a classic bowl of oats. You have a tender and hearty oatmeal casserole that is loaded with rich flavors that will fuel your body and keep you full till lunchtime.
Can I Make This Raisin Breakfast Casserole Ahead of Time
You can store this in the fridge for up to 24 hours. Then bake as directed below in the recipe. The one thing is if you are using a cold pan add a little bit extra time to the bake time to ensure it gets cooked through.
How to Know When the Cinnamon Raisin Breakfast Casserole is Done
You will find if you stick a toothpick or knife into the bread and pull it out it comes out clean. If you see a custardy egg mixture it is still raw and needs additional cook time.
The top of the bread will also turn a golden brown color, and harden up a bit. Some spots will be a little crisper than others but that adds a lot of texture and flavor to the recipe.
If you are looking for a brunch recipe, casserole for serving a crowd and more. We love making this even for a family breakfast during the week. Then eating the rest for leftovers.
You’ll also love Apple Cinnamon Bun Breakfast Casserole.
Do you prefer a sweet or savoury breakfast?
- 8 slices of raisin bread
- 1 cup milk
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9×13 baking pan. Rip up raisin bread into bite sized pieces and layer at the bottom of the baking pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla, salt and nutmeg. Pour evenly over top of the bread.
- Mix together brown sugar, raisins and cinnamon and sprinkle evenly on top of the casserole. Cover with aluminum foil. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove aluminum foil and bake for an additional 10 minutes. Serve hot. Drizzle with maple syrup, if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 126Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 72mgSodium: 149mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 1gSugar: 7gProtein: 5g