Chipotle Chicken Soup is the easiest chicken soup recipe. It has a hint of spice and creaminess from the chickpeas and a slight bit of heat from the chipotle chile peppers in adobo sauce.
This homemade Chipotle Chicken Soup is pretty healthy, full of so much flavor and pretty easy to make. This soup is easily adaptable to make it as flavorful or as hot as you prefer.
I’ve been loving some chipotle recipes lately, no not the burrito spot, but recipes including chipotle peppers. If you’re loving the chipotle peppers and Southwest vibes too, you have to try my Chipotle Chicken Skewers, and an amazing Slow Cooker Southwest Chicken and Rice Soup.
This post contains affiliate links.
This Chipotle Chicken Soup recipe was inspired by the book, 300 Sensational Soups, it’s one of the best cookbooks I’ve come across for soup recipes. It has recipes with simple ingredients as well as recipes for more adventurous tastes.
Why You’ll Love This Chipotle Chicken Soup
- It’s adaptable, while I enjoy the soup according to this recipe, you can easily adjust your soup ingredients to your preferences and still end up with a fantastic soup recipe.
- This soup uses healthy ingredients, no added preservatives or unnecessary ingredients
- Easy filling lunch or dinner recipe that packs a punch with flavor
- Only uses pantry staple ingredients, nothing too intense
- Super simple soup recipe that’s ready in well under 45 minutes
- One pot soup recipe- no crazy flipped upside down dirty kitchen to deal with later
- Chicken broth
- Garlic cloves
- Chipotle chile peppers in adobo sauce
- Ground black pepper
- ChickpeasCooked chicken
- Fresh cilantro
How to Make Chipotle Chicken Soup
- Step One: In a large pot, bring stock, garlic, chipotles and salt and pepper to taste to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Step Two: Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes to blend the flavors. Add chickpeas, chicken and salt to taste.
- Step Three. Ladle into bowls and garnish with cilantro, avocado, tortilla strips and lime wedges. Squeeze a lime over top of each bowl (optional).
What To Serve With Easy Chipotle Chicken Soup
- Garlic Bread
- Guacamole Tomato Boats
- Vegan Mexican Casserole
- Taco Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
- Chips and Salsa or Chips and Queso
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- I like to use already cooked chicken in this recipe as it’s a time saver. You can also use rotisserie chicken or leftover chicken from other recipes.
- Prep your ingredients and soup beforehand and store it in the fridge just a few hours ahead and then all you have to do is heat it up on the stove later. This also gives your soup more time to let the flavors meld together.
- Use this soup as part of your meal plan so you can enjoy it for multiple dinners and lunches.
Variations and Substitutions
- If needed, you can swap the chicken broth out for vegetable broth or low sodium chicken broth if you need to watch your salt intake.
- Feel free to add in more veggies like spinach, kale, cauliflower, or even a hearty zucchini. Keep in mind the water content of the ingredients that you add in or you may end up with a super watery soup.
- You can add in other ingredients like diced tomatoes, corn, pinto beans or black beans for more delicious flavors.
- Feel free to swap out the chicken for leftover turkey. That would make another scrumptious soup recipe.
- Add a little heavy cream to make this more of a rich, creamy chowder.
- Add a scoop or two of cooked white rice or even cooked Mexican rice to this soup when serving it to bring more texture to it and bulk it out some more. It will also go further this way.
How to Store Homemade Chipotle Chicken Soup
Leftover Chicken Chipotle Soup can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Can You Freeze?
Absolutely, you can freeze this homemade soup recipe. Sometimes I like to make a double batch to enjoy some now and freeze the extra soup for later.
Let your soup cool completely before placing it in a ziplock bag and laying flat in the freezer to freeze safely. Be sure to leave a little room in the bag for expansion.
To thaw your soup, all you have to do is remove it from the freezer and place it in the fridge to thaw.
To reheat your Chicken Soup, simply dump it in a sauce pan and reheat on the stovetop. You can also reheat soup in the microwave. I recommend microwaving in bursts so you can stir it up as it reheats.
Is Chipotle Chicken Soup Healthy?
This homemade chicken chipotle soup uses healthy ingredients that offer a variety of different health benefits. With different variations of what you want to use you can really make this soup as healthy as you desire.
What Is Chipotle Chicken Made Of?
For this soup recipe, we use already cooked chicken and then add on chipotle chile peppers that are in adobo sauce. This is part of what brings the heat to the chicken and the soup. You can add more adobo sauce or more chile peppers for more heat as well.
What Else Can You Add On Top
If you’re looking to add some other delicious toppings to your Chipotle Chicken Soup, here are some of my favorite ideas to toss on top of my soup when I’ve added it to the serving bowls:
- Cilantro (like we used here)
- Lime juice (or lime wedges)
- Tortilla strips and homemade air fryer tortilla chips
- Sour cream
- Greek yogurt
- Fresh avocado (more than we already use)
- Shredded cheese of various flavors
Other Soup Recipes To Try
Soups are fantastic dinner recipes that can last you for a few meals. Here are a few more to help you carry through your meal plan for the week.
Follow me on Instagram @simplystacieblog, Facebook at Simply Stacie or Pinterest at @simplystacie and let me know how you liked this recipe and my other recipes.
If you make the recipe, rate it on the recipe card below and tag me on Instagram and use #simplystacie. I like sharing the photos on my Instagram stories!
Chipotle Chicken Soup
This is the easiest chicken soup recipe. It has a hint of spice and creaminess from the chickpeas.
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-2 chipotle chile peppers in adobo sauce, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 can (540 mL) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- Salt, to taste
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime, cut into 6 wedges
- In a large pot, bring stock, garlic, chipotles and salt and pepper to taste to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes to blend the flavors. Add chickpeas, chicken and salt to taste.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with cilantro, avocado, tortilla strips and lime wedges. Squeeze a lime over top of each bowl (optional).
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 310Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 71mgSodium: 505mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 3gSugar: 6gProtein: 24g
Jon T says
Nothing better than soup – winter, summer, all year long. So satisfying, so variable.
Debbie Welchert says
This book sounds wonderful. I have never heard of dessert soups either but they sound yummy. I’m a soup eater and this book seems to have a lot of recipes I would love to try.
Jennifer Saarinen says
It’s getting cold outside. Soup time! I just requested it from the library. Thanks!
This looks like a great book. I like the recipe for Chipotle Chicken soup. We had hot peppers in our garden, those would be so good in it.
Suz Saves says
With the weather getting colder, it’s the perfect time for soups! This looks like a great book with many recipe ideas! Thanks for sharing this info!
sherry k says
we eat a lot of soup, this looks very useful
Yum! I love soup mostly in the winter, but cold soups for summer are refreshing as well. Seems like a great book to own.
stephen k says
we love soups, this looks like a great book
Jane Ritz says
Your Chicken Chipotle Recipe sounds wonderful. I printed it. I will make it this week
Lisa Burke Cook says
I love all kinds of homemade soup and it is the perfect time of year to have them and I look forward to using this recipe it sounds yummy!