This Classic Chicken Salad is so creamy with a bit of crunch. This made from scratch lunch recipe is easy to make and so delicious. Serve as a salad, sandwich or on a wrap.
This easy recipe is a go-to whenever I have leftover chicken. Everyone in my family loves chicken salad sandwiches. They make a hearty and delicious lunch and are perfect to bring to work or school.
I’m partial to my recipe. I love the combination of mayonnaise and wholegrain mustard in the creamy dressing. It makes a super flavorful chicken salad. Yum!
The great thing about this recipe is that you can switch out ingredients to make your own version based on your preferences.
Why You’ll Love This Best Chicken Salad Sandwich Recipe
- Great way to use up leftover chicken or even rotisserie chicken
- Classic recipe everyone loves
- Many different ways to serve
- Creamy and packed full of fresh ingredients
- Perfect recipe for lunch
- Can be made ahead
- Cooked chicken – You can use chicken breasts, dark meat, leftover chicken, or rotisserie chicken. My favorite way is to use chicken breast meat.
- Celery – Adds a fresh crunch.
- Green onions – You can substitute fresh chives here if you like.
- Mayonnaise – I use Hellmann’s mayonnaise.
- Wholegrain mustard – I love the flavor and the texture.
- Lemon juice – Fresh or bottled is fine.
- Fresh dill – If you don’t have fresh dill, you can substitute 1/2 teaspoon of dried dill.
- Salt and black pepper
- Your favorite bread or buns
How to Make Classic Chicken Salad
- Step One: In a large bowl, stir together chicken, celery and green onion.
- Step Two: In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, lemon juice, wholegrain mustard, fresh dill, salt and pepper.
- Step Three: Add dressing to the chicken mixture and toss to cover. Chill until ready to serve.
This post contains affiliate links.
What to Serve with a Classic Chicken Salad Sandwich
- Tossed salad
- Refrigerator pickles
- Rainbow fruit salad
- Air fryer potato chips
- Busy day soup
- Sweet potato home fries
Variations and Substitutions
- Use diced red onion instead of green onions.
- Use light mayonnaise instead of regular mayonnaise.
- Try low-fat plain Greek yogurt instead of mayonnaise.
- Add 1/2 cup sour cream to make the dressing even creamier.
- Add chopped fresh parsley for a pop of color and freshness.
- Use Dijon mustard instead of wholegrain mustard.
- Replace the fresh dill with chopped fresh basil leaves.
- Add 1/2 tsp of curry powder to the dressing ingredients.
Store any leftover chicken salad in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Can I Freeze?
You can, but it’s not recommended to freeze chicken salad because of the mayonnaise. Freezing will change the texture and it won’t be as yummy.
Can I Make Ahead?
Definitely! Prepare the chicken salad up to a day in advance and store, covered, in the fridge.
Add Ins for Easy Chicken Salad
Change up the taste by mixing in a few extra ingredients!
- Seedless red grapes
- A chopped tart apple like Granny Smith apples or Braeburn apples
- Dried cranberries
- Sweet fruits like mandarin oranges
- Almonds or cashews
- Berry preserves or jam
- Crumbled bacon
- Chopped hardboiled eggs
- Crunchy veggies like carrots, radishes, cucumber
How to Serve
- In a bowl on its own
- On a bed of lettuce or salad greens
- In a lettuce wrap
- Whole grain bread
- In pita bread
- In a tortilla wrap
- On a bun
Must Try Sandwiches
- Egg Salad Sandwich
- Curried Shrimp Rolls
- Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps
If you make the recipe, rate it on the recipe card below and tag me on Instagram and use #simplystacie. I like sharing the photos on my Instagram stories!
Classic Chicken Salad
- 3 cups chicken cooked, shredded
- ⅓ cup celery chopped
- ¼ cup green onions sliced
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tbsp fresh dill chopped
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- In a large bowl, stir together chicken, celery and green onion.
- In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, lemon juice, wholegrain mustard, fresh dill, salt and pepper.
- Add dressing to the chicken mixture and toss to cover. Chill until ready to serve.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.