This easy, fresh Shrimp Salad is the perfect blend of creamy and crunchy. It’s easy to make for lunch, to serve on a croissant or to bring to a potluck.
Seafood fan? You need to try this cold shrimp salad if you like easy recipes. It requires minimal effort and you can literally whip up a batch in 5 minutes.
Though it’s delicious on it’s own, there are few different ways you can serve this classic recipe. I love mine on fresh buttery croissants for crave-worthy shrimp salad sandwiches.
It’s perfect to serve at potlucks, BBQs or as a light lunch. I’ve tried several shrimp salad recipes and this is the best one yet!
Why You’ll Love This Easy Shrimp Salad
- Better than the shrimp salad you can buy at grocery stores
- Super simple to prepare
- Creamy dressing with a mouthwatering combination of flavors
- Many different ways to serve
- Perfect for leftover shrimp
- A delicious side dish for a summer meal
- Easy recipe to make ahead
- Cooked shrimp – Make sure the shrimp are peeled, deveined and have the tail removed. Frozen shrimp are fine to use, but make sure you thaw them out first before using.
- Celery – Adds a nice fresh crunch.
- Bacon – Cooked and chop the bacon up.
- Fresh chives – You can substitute sliced green onions if you like.
- Mayonnaise – I recommend using real mayonnaise (like Hellmann’s) and not Miracle Whip.
- Wholegrain mustard – I like the texture and flavor of wholegrain mustard.
- Lemon juice – Fresh or bottled is fine.
- Old Bay Seasoning – I buy this spice at Walmart in the spice aisle, but you can also make your own homemade Old Bay Seasoning, too.
How to Make Creamy Shrimp Salad
- Step One: Add shrimp, bacon and chives to a large bowl. Toss to combine.
- Step Two: In another bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, wholegrain mustard, lemon juice, Old Bay Seasoning, salt and pepper. Add to shrimp mixture and toss to cover.
- Step Three: Chill in the fridge until ready to serve.
This post contains affiliate links.
What to Serve with Classic Shrimp Salad
- Macaroni Salad
- Tuna Salad
- Cheese Potato Salad
- Bean Salad
- Cucumber Salad
- Fresh vegetables
Different Ways to Serve
- On a bed of lettuce on a plate. Try romaine lettuce, iceberg lettuce or butter lettuce.
- On a bun. I like croissants, but you could use a roll or soft brioche buns.
- On a wrap. Use lettuce wraps or regular tortilla wraps.
- In a pita. Cut pita bread in half and fill the inside with shrimp salad.
- In a salad bowl. It’s yummy on its own.
- With avocado. Cut an avocado in half and serve the salad in each half. You’ll have extra yumminess from the creamy avocado.
Substitutions and Variations
- Add more fresh herbs. Instead of chives, you could use fresh dill.
- Add chopped shallots or chopped red onion.
- For a kick of spice, add 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper to the shrimp salad dressing.
- Instead of fresh lemon juice, use white wine vinegar or lime juice.
- Use dijon mustard instead of the wholegrain mustard.
- Add halved cherry tomatoes or chopped cucumber for more fresh flavor and a pop of color.
- Use grilled shrimp for a smoky flavor.
- Add chopped hardboiled eggs.
Store any leftover shrimp salad in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Can I Freeze?
I don’t recommend freezing this salad because of the mayonnaise in the dressing.
Can I Make Ahead?
Yes, you can make this easy salad recipe up to a day in advance and store, covered, in the fridge.
What Kind of Shrimp Should I Use?
I prefer to use frozen cooked large shrimp that has already been deveined and peeled. The only thing I have to do is thaw the shrimp and remove the tails.
You could also use raw shrimp, but you’ll need to cook them first.
You’ll also like this Classic Chicken Salad.
Follow me on Instagram @simplystacieblog, Facebook at Simply Stacie, TikTok @simplystacierecipes or Pinterest at @simplystacie and let me know how you liked this recipe and my other recipes.
If you make the recipe, rate it on the recipe card below and tag me on Instagram and use #simplystacie. I like sharing the photos on my Instagram stories!
- 2 lb shrimp cooked, peeled, deveined, tail removed
- ½ cup celery chopped
- ⅓ cup bacon cooked and chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh chives chopped
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp Old Bay Seasoning
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Add shrimp, bacon and chives to a large bowl. Toss to combine.
- In another bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, wholegrain mustard, lemon juice, Old Bay Seasoning, salt and pepper. Add to shrimp mixture and toss to cover.
- Chill in the fridge until ready to serve.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
love your recipes!,
don’t know your location but we are USA 94505 and shop at Safeway Stores, their Deli makes a “Market Seafood Salad” it’s my Favorite.
Wish you would have your recipes to go to email! Can’t print from ipad