Egg Salad Sandwiches are a quick and easy lunch recipe that is creamy and flavorful. Serve as a salad or on a croissant or bread to make a sandwich for a simple, yet satisfying meal.
I think I have discovered the best egg salad recipe! I’ve tried multiple recipes over the years and this ingredient combination is my family’s favorite! It’s a simple recipe that packs a flavor punch.
I make this recipe for lunch often because it’s so easy to whip up and filling. I often crave it. You know a recipe is good when you think about it long after you’ve eaten it.
It’s also perfect for school lunches or to serve at a gathering like baby showers. Kids love it!
I think most egg salad recipes have a secret ingredient. Mine has two! Don’t worry, it’s made with simple ingredients. I especially love the creamy dressing.
Why You’ll Love This Best Egg Salad Sandwich Recipe
- Great recipe for lunch (including kid’s school lunches) and for parties
- Can be served alone or on a bun, slices of bread or my favorite, buttery croissants
- Perfect balance of creaminess with a little crunch
- Can easily be customized to suit your family’s tastes
- You can easily make it ahead and store in the fridge when you need to make a quick lunch
- A classic recipe that brings back many memories
- Eggs – I use large eggs that have been hardboiled, peeled and chopped. I typically make hardboiled eggs on the stovetop, but I have seen them made in the Instant Pot.
- Mayonnaise – My favorite is Hellmann’s Mayonnaise! You can also use homemade mayonnaise.
- Wholegrain mustard – I love the texture and bite! If you don’t have any, substitute Dijon mustard in its place.
- Fresh chives – Fresh herbs are delicious in egg salad. Sliced green onions can be used instead if you prefer.
- Paprika – I love using paprika in recipes. I use it in my deviled eggs and it tastes just as yummy in egg salad.
- Salt and pepper
How to Make Classic Egg Salad Recipe
- Step One: Add all ingredients to a large bowl. Stir to combine.
- Step Two: Cover and chill until ready to serve.
This post contains affiliate links.
What to Serve with Egg Salad Sandwiches
- Potato chips – Try my Air Fryer Potato Chips – so good!
- French fries
- Yogurt parfaits with fruit
- Soup – Try my Cream of Tomato Soup or Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup.
- Dill pickles – Try my refrigerator pickles.
- A cold drink like iced tea.
What to Serve Egg Salad On
- Slices of soft white bread or rye bread to make a sandwich
- Croissants – any flavor
- Lettuce leaves
- Kaiser buns
- Hawaiian rolls
- Pita bread
Substitutions and Variations
- Use a potato masher to mash the eggs instead of chopping them up to change up the consistency and texture.
- Add chopped red onion to the egg salad mixture.
- Some people add a little bit of lemon juice as a flavor enhancer.
- Try using Greek yogurt instead of mayonnaise.
- Use curry powder instead of paprika.
- Add a tablespoon of pickle relish to the mix.
- Fresh dill can be used in addition to the fresh chives.
Store any leftover egg salad in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Can You Freeze Egg Salad?
I don’t recommend freezing egg salad. The texture will change and mayonnaise typically does not freeze well.
- Use fresh eggs to make your egg salad for best results. Pro tip: Do the float test to check for freshness.
- Prepare the hard boiled eggs ahead of time and allow them to cool before preparing the salad.
- Don’t over or undercook the eggs. Learn the proper way to make hard boiled eggs.
How to Avoid a Soggy Egg Salad Sandwich?
Butter the bread or croissant and then add a layer of lettuce. Add the egg salad layer and then another layer of lettuce. The lettuce acts a shield between the bread and the egg salad.
Easy Salad Recipes
If you make the recipe, rate it on the recipe card below and tag me on Instagram and use #simplystacie. I like sharing the photos on my Instagram stories!
- 8 eggs hardboiled, peeled and chopped
- 1 celery rib diced
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 tbsp fresh chives chopped
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Add all ingredients to a large bowl. Stir to combine.
- Cover and chill until ready to serve.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.