Enjoy layers of fudge, banana pudding and Cool Whip in this easy no-bake Black Bottom Banana Cream Pie. Each bite is light, sweet and bursting with banana and chocolate flavors.
Chocolate and bananas is a match made in heaven. If you like banana cream pie and are also a chocolate lover, you need to make this amazing pie!
It’s completely no-bake so you don”t have to heat your house up by turning on the oven. Perfect for summer when you’re trying to stay cool.
The bottom layer is the graham cracker crust, followed by a layer of chocolate, vanilla or banana pudding and then finished off with a layer of Cool Whip.
Serve it up a decadent dessert after a meal or at a summer BBQ. Everyone loves this recipe so you may want to make two pies!
This pie is one of my family’s favorite recipes. Who knows? Maybe it will become your favorite pie, too.
Why You’ll Love This Black Bottom Banana Cream Pie
- Easy no-bake pie recipe
- Ready to enjoy in just over 4 hours
- Perfect way to use ripe bananas
- Sweet, creamy and rich packed with fresh bananas and chocolate flavors.
- Great to bring to parties or potlucks
- Semisweet chocolate chips
- Milk – Use 2% or whole milk.
- Salted butter
- Prepared graham cracker pie crust – Store-bought is fine or you can make your own homemade graham cracker crust.
- Medium bananas – Make sure you use ripe bananas so they will taste sweeter.
- Package of instant vanilla pudding mix or banana pudding mix – I typically use vanilla because it’s easier to find in stores where I live.
- Cool Whip – Make your homemade Cool Whip if you like.
How to Make Black Bottom Banana Pie
- Step One: Microwave the chocolate, 2 tablespoons milk and butter in a medium-sized bowl on high for 1 to 1 ½ minutes, stirring 30 seconds. Stir until chocolate is completely melted.
- Step Two: Spread the chocolate mixture evenly into the graham cracker pie crust. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until chocolate is set.
- Step Three: Prepare pudding according to package directions.
- Step Four: Slice 1 to 2 bananas and arrange banana slices in one even layer on top of the chocolate.
- Step Five: Spoon pudding mixture into the crust, covering the bananas.
- Step Six: Top with Cool Whip. Refrigerate 4 hours or until set.
- Step Seven: Serve with sliced bananas and chocolate shavings on top of the pie.
This post contains affiliate links.
What to Serve with Chocolate Banana Cream Pie
- Coffee or tea
- Mocha Latte
- Cinnamon Hot Chocolate
- Coconut Coffee Milkshake
- Iced Coffee
Variations and Substitutions
- Use a cooked pudding instead of an instant pudding. Make sure to cool the pudding to room temperature before spooning it over the bananas.
- You can also use homemade pudding. Try my homemade butterscotch pudding or white chocolate pudding to change up the flavor.
- Replace the Cool Whip with real whipped cream. I like to use Cool Whip because it holds its shape better.
- Use an Oreo cookie crust instead of a graham cracker crust.
- Use dark chocolate chips or milk chocolate chips instead of the semi-sweet chocolate chips. You could also make your own homemade chocolate ganache for that layer if you like.
- Use vanilla custard instead of the pudding layer.
Refrigerate any leftover Chocolate Bottom Banana Pie in the fridge, covered, for up to 2 days.
Can I Freeze?
Yes, you can freeze Banana Fudge Pie. Wrap the pie in plastic wrap and then add a layer of aluminum foil. Store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- When serving, the pudding may be soft. The pie can be put in the freezer for up to 1 hour to solidify the pudding, if desired.
- If you like extra banana, you can do a double layer on top of the chocolate.
- When cooking the chocolate in the microwave, make sure to not overcook or the chocolate will seize.
- Chocolate shavings
- Chocolate curls
- Sliced bananas
- Chocolate chips
- Hot fudge sauce
- Whipped cream
- Chopped walnuts
- Chopped chocolate
How do I make chocolate shavings?
It’s easy to make shaved chocolate. Use a fine cheese grater and carefully shave a chocolate bar to get the small chocolate shavings.
- Banana Cake
- Banana Boats
- Banana Streusel Muffins
- Banana Bread Breakfast Casserole
- White Chocolate Cherry Banana Bread
- Sticky Banana Croissants
You’ll also like this Chess Pie and Classic Lemon Pie.
Follow me on Instagram @simplystacieblog, Facebook at Simply Stacie, TikTok @simplystacierecipes or Pinterest at @simplystacie and let me know how you liked this recipe and my other recipes.
If you make the recipe, rate it on the recipe card below and tag me on Instagram and use #simplystacie. I like sharing the photos on my Instagram stories!
Black Bottom Banana Cream Pie
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups milk + 2 tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp salted butter
- 1 prepared graham cracker pie crust
- 3 medium bananas sliced into ¼ inch slices
- 1 package package instant vanilla or banana pudding mix (3.4oz)
- 1 ¼ cup Cool Whip thawed
- Microwave the chocolate, 2 tablespoons milk and butter in a medium-sized bowl on high for 1 to 1 ½ minutes, stirring 30 seconds. Stir until chocolate is completely melted.
- Spread melted chocolate evenly into the graham cracker pie crust. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until chocolate is set.
- Prepare pudding according to package directions.
- Slice 1 to 2 bananas and arrange in one even layer on top of the chocolate.
- Spoon pudding into the crust, covering the bananas.
- Top with Cool Whip. Refrigerate 4 hours or until set.
- Serve topped with sliced bananas and chocolate shavings.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Leave a Reply