Made with chocolate chips and marshmallows, these Chocolate Rice Krispies are perfect for Valentine’s day or whenever you need a chocolate fix. Level up the classic dessert recipe!
Who else has memories of “baking” with their mom and making a batch of Rice Krispie Treats? They are such a simple dessert to make in a matter of minutes and one that kids can actually help make!
This childhood favorite dessert has stood the test of time and is just as popular today as it was when I was a child. I think a big reason is because how straightforward they are to make AND how yummy they are.
I know I can’t resist that butter gooey sweetness! In this recipe, I’m adding some chocolate to make it even more memorable. If you love chocolate, this is a must-try treat.
Why You’ll Love Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats
- Classic childhood favorite dessert with a chocolatey twist
- Easy to make in minutes
- No baking required
- Kids can help make
- Perfect for bake sales, parties and potlucks
Ingredients for Chocolate Rice Krispies
- Unsalted butter
- Mini marshmallows – I use mini marshmallows because they melt faster, but you can substitute an equal size amount of regular sized marshmallows.
- Semisweet chocolate chips – I find they bring the right amount of sweetness to the treats. Use milk chocolate for a sweeter treat or dark chocolate for a less sweet treat.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder – You can use dark cocoa powder for more intense, less sweet chocolate flavor.
- Vanilla extract
- Crispy rice cereal – I like Rice Krispies cereal, but you could also use a generic store brand. If you are wanting a gluten-free treat, Malt-o-Meal, Nature’s Path, Arrowhead Mills, and One Degree all offer gluten-free crispy rice cereals.
How to Make Chocolate Rice Krispies
Step One: Lightly butter a 9×13 inch baking dish and set aside.
Step Two: Add butter to a large pot over low heat and melt.
Step Three: Add the mini marshmallows to the pot and heat, stirring often, until melted and smooth.
Step Four: Turn off the heat and stir in the chocolate chips, cocoa powder, and vanilla extract. Stir until all the chocolate chips have melted.
Step Five: Stir in the Rice Krispie cereal.
Step Six: Gently press the cereal mixture into the prepared pan.
Step Seven: Allow to set in the pan for at least 15 minutes before cutting into squares.
Equipment Needed to Make Chocolate Rice Krispie Bars
This post contains affiliate links.
- Measuring cups
- Large pot
- Scraper spatula
- 9×13 inch baking dish – You can also use an 8×8 or 9×9 inch pan for thicker treats.
What to Serve with Easy Chocolate Rice Krispies
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- Fresh is best! Make sure your marshmallows and cereal are not stale.
- Don’t firmly press the mixture in so it’s packed too firmly. Gently press it in.
- You can line the baking pan with parchment paper if you like to make removal a breeze.
- To keep marshmallows from sticking to your fingers as you press them into the pan, run your fingers under water, shake off excess drops and then press.
- Chill the prepared bars in the fridge for 30 minutes to make cutting into squares super easy.
- Add 1 cup of peanut butter to make chocolate/peanut butter combination
- Add peanut butter chips instead of chocolate chips
- Drizzle melted caramel on top of the bars in the pan
- Add almond extract or peppermint extract instead of vanilla for a different type of flavor
- Sprinkle sea salt on top of the bars in the pan
Store thee Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. These treats are sticky so you might want to use parchment paper or wax paper in between layers if you stack them.
Can I Freeze Chocolate Rice Krispies?
Yes, they actually freeze quite well. After the bars have cooled to room temperature, cut them into individual pieces. Wrap each piece tightly in plastic wrap and store in a freezer safe container or freezer bag for up to 3 months.
Can I make Chocolate Rice Krispie Bars in the Microwave?
Yes, you can definitely make these no-bake treats in the microwave!
- Melt the butter and marshmallows by heating in 30 second increments, stirring well in between each increment.
- When the butter and marshmallows are completely melted and smooth, stir in the chocolate chips, cocoa powder and vanilla extract. The heat from the melted marshmallows should be enough to melt the chocolate, but if it’s not, heat the mixture at 50% powder for 30 seconds at a time, stirring well in between, until melted and smooth.
- Then continue on with the recipe as directed in the recipe card below.
Can I Use Cocoa Krispies in Place of Regular Rice Krispies and Leave Out the Chocolate?
I don’t recommend doing this if you want a really yummy chocolate flavor. Using regular Rice Krispie cereal and real chocolate gives these treats a decadent and rich chocolate flavor that you can’t replicate with Cocoa Krispies.
If you are in a time crunch and need a chocolatey treat ASAP, you can substitute them in a pinch, but the flavor won’t be as good. Use the real chocolate!
Rice Krispie Desserts
If you make the recipe, rate it on the recipe card below and tag me on Instagram and use #simplystacie. I like sharing the photos on my Instagram stories!
Chocolate Rice Krispies
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- Lightly butter a 9x13 inch baking dish and set aside.
- Add butter to a large pot over low heat and melt.
- Add the mini marshmallows to the pot and heat, stirring often, until melted and smooth.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the chocolate chips, cocoa powder, and vanilla extract. Stir until all the chocolate chips have melted.
- Stir in the Rice Krispie cereal.
- Gently press the cereal mixture into the prepared pan.
- Allow to set in the pan for at least 15 minutes before cutting into squares.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.