Peanut Butter Cheerio Balls are an easy no-bake kids’ snack made with only 6 ingredients! Peanut butter, honey and cereal come together to make a delicious treat that kids love.
Grab a box of Honey Nut Cheerios from your pantry and whip up this easy recipe! It reminds me a little of popcorn balls, but made with cereal. Kids and adults love a delicious sweet cereal treat. The perfect after school snack.
It’s an easy snack that will soon become a family favorite. It only takes minutes to prep and then a little chill time in the fridge and you have a sweet treat for the whole family to enjoy. I love a good no bake recipe!
The best thing is that you can easily customize this simple recipe to suit your family’s tastes and preferences. It’s versatile so experiment and have fun in the kitchen.
Why You’ll Love Peanut Butter Cheerio Balls
- Made with simple ingredients
- A delicious snack for the kids
- Kids can help to prepare
- Ingredients can be swapped to suit your family’s preferences
- Easy no-bake dessert
- Ready to eat in under 1 hour
- Sweet and crunchy
- Unsalted butter – If you only have salted butter, that’s also fine.
- Mini marshmallows
- Smooth peanut butter
- Cheerios – I like Honey Nut Cheerios.
- Golden Graham cereal
How to Make Cheerio Balls
- Step One: Line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- Step Two: In a large microwave-safe mixing bowl, melt the butter and marshmallows at 20 second intervals in the microwave. Mix in between each interval. It takes about 90 seconds to melt.
- Step Three: Add the honey and peanut butter to the mixing bowl. Whisk until ingredients are combined.
- Step Four: Add the Cheerios and Golden Grahams. Mix until all coated.
- Step Five: Using a large cookie scoop, or approximately 2 tablespoons, form balls of the cereal mixture by rolling them in your hands and placing them in the prepared cupcake pan.
- Step Six: Place in the fridge for 45 minutes or longer to allow them to set.
This post contains affiliate links.
What to Serve with Honey Nut Cheerio Balls
- Milk, coffee or tea
- Orange Julius
- Shirley Temple
- Pumpkin Spice Latte
Variations and Substitutions
- Try crunchy peanut butter instead of creamy peanut butter.
- You can use 5 cups of Cheerios if you can’t find Golden Grahams or Honey Graham Toasters.
- Use corn syrup or maple syrup instead of honey.
- Add in chocolate chips or peanut butter chips for extra decadence.
- Use almond butter or cashew butter instead of peanut butter.
- Add a few tablespoons of cocoa powder to make a chocolatey treat.
- Try other varieties of Cheerios like regular Cheerios, Chocolate Cheerios or Chocolate Peanut Butter Cheerios.
- Natural peanut butter can be used if you don’t want them too sweet.
Store the Cheerio Balls in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
You can also freeze them! Wrap them in plastic wrap and then again in aluminum foil. Freeze for up to 60 days. Eat them frozen or thaw them out in the fridge – your choice!
Can You Make Them Into Cheerios Squares?
Yes! You can make them into bars/squares if you like. I find the balls the easiest to work with, but squares will also be good. They’ll be similar to the traditional Rice Krispie Treats.
Make sure you grease a 9×13 inch pan and then add the mixture to the pan, pressing down to compact it. Let it sit at room temperature to harden and then cut into squares.
- Indoor S’mores
- Rice Krispie Cookies
- Caramel Rice Krispie Bars
- Chocolate Rice Krispies
- Cereal Milk Popsicles
Follow me on Instagram @simplystacieblog, Facebook at Simply Stacie, TikTok @simplystacierecipes or Pinterest at @simplystacie and let me know how you liked this recipe and my other recipes.
If you make the recipe, rate it on the recipe card below and tag me on Instagram and use #simplystacie. I like sharing the photos on my Instagram stories!
Peanut Butter Cheerio Balls
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup smooth peanut butter
- 3 cups Honey Nut Cheerios
- 2 cups Golden Grahams cereal
- Line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- In a large microwave-safe mixing bowl, melt the butter and marshmallows at 20 second intervals in the microwave. Mix in between each interval. It takes about 90 seconds to melt.
- Add the honey and peanut butter to the mixing bowl. Whisk until ingredients are combined.
- Add the Cheerios and Golden Grahams. Mix until all coated.
- Using a large cookie scoop, or approximately 2 tablespoons, form balls by rolling them in your hands and placing them in the prepared cupcake pan.
- Place in the fridge for 45 minutes or longer to allow them to set.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Bethany Briggs says
Could you just make bars instead of ball
Stacie Vaughan says
Yes, that would work too!