Rich, creamy and tangy lemon pie filling on top of a buttery graham cracker crumb crust. This Classic Lemon Pie is simple to make and perfect for lemon lovers who love tart and sweet treats.
This homemade lemon pie is a family favorite! Though it’s fine to serve all year long, I love making it in the summer months when everyone is craving lemon desserts.
It’s a classic dessert and easily one of my favorite pies. It’s similar to lemon meringue pie, but without the meringue topping. You could totally add meringue on top if you like, though!
I make mine with a prepared graham cracker crust because it’s quick and easy. If you want to make yours with a homemade pie crust, feel free to do that. Either way, it’s going to be delicious!
I love the tart lemon filling. Lemon lovers will enjoy this easy pie recipe.
Why You’ll Love Creamy Lemon Pie
- Perfect tangy and sweet lemon flavor
- Easy to make in minutes
- Delicious summer dessertTopped with a luscious homemade whipped cream
- Simple ingredients
- Prepared graham cracker pie crust
- Sweetened condensed milk
- Egg yolks
- Lemon juice – Fresh or bottled is fine
- Lemon slices – for garnish (optional)
Homemade Whipped Cream Ingredients
- Heavy whipping cream
- Confectioner’s sugar – Also known as “icing sugar” in Canada
- Vanilla extract
How to Make Classic Lemon Pie
- Step One: Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Step Two: Beat the sweetened condensed milk, egg yolks and lemon juice with a mixer on medium speed for 5 minutes.
- Step Three: Pour the filling into the prepare pie crust and bake in the oven for 15 to 18 minutes or until the top of the pie set (it will still slightly jiggle).
- Step Four: Let pie fully cool and then chill in the fridge for 4 to 6 hours or overnight.
- Step Five: Before serving, prepare the whipped cream. Use a mixer to whip the heavy cream, powdered sugar and vanilla together until stiff peaks from and the cream thickens. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Step Six: After the pie has chilled, spread or dot the whipped cream on top of the pie and garnish with a lemon slice.
This post contains affiliate links.
What to Serve with Easy Lemon Pie
- Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
- Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream
- Stabilized Whipped Cream
- Whipped Shortbread Cookies
Substitutions and Variations
- Add 1 teaspoon of lemon zest to the pie mixture for an even brighter lemon taste
- Top with homemade meringue
- Use a homemade pie crust instead of the prepared graham cracker crust
- Top with Cool Whip or store-bought whipped cream to save on time
Store any leftover pie in an airtight container in the fridge for 2 to 3 days.
You can also freeze this pie for up to 3 months. Wrap in aluminum foil and store in the freezer.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- If your pie filling begins to darken during the baking process, cover with aluminum foil to prevent further browning.
- Make sure you allow enough time for the pie to chill so it will slice easily and not fall apart.
- Use real lemon juice for a fresher lemon flavor.
What Pie Crust Is Best for Lemon Pie?
The short answer is whatever pie crust is easiest for you to use! It’s a matter of personal preference. I like the prepared graham cracker pie crust personally.
Some other ideas:
- Flaky pie crust
- Frozen baked pie shell
- Shortening crust
- Butter pie crust
- Homemade graham cracker crust
- Pretzel pie crust
- Lemon slices – Try candied lemon slices if you have time to make them!
- Lemon zest
- Mint sprigs
- Fresh berries
- Lemon Bread
- Lemon Sauce
- Lemon Bars
- Homemade Lemon Curd
- Lemonade Cookies
- Lemon Curd Coconut Macaroons
You’ll also like this Chess Pie.
Follow me on Instagram @simplystacieblog, Facebook at Simply Stacie, TikTok @simplystacierecipes or Pinterest at @simplystacie and let me know how you liked this recipe and my other recipes.
If you make the recipe, rate it on the recipe card below and tag me on Instagram and use #simplystacie. I like sharing the photos on my Instagram stories!
- 1 prepared graham cracker pie crust
- 2 (14oz) cans sweetened condensed milk
- 4 egg yolks
- ¾ cup lemon juice
- lemon slices for garnish
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream chilled
- 3 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Beat the sweetened condensed milk, egg yolks and lemon juice with a mixer on medium speed for 5 minutes.
- Pour the filling into the prepare pie crust and bake in the oven for 15 to 18 minutes or until the top of the pie set (it will still slightly jiggle).
- Let pie fully cool and then chill in the fridge for 4 to 6 hours or overnight.
- Before serving, prepare the whipped cream. Use a mixer to whip the heavy cream, powdered sugar and vanilla together until stiff peaks from and the cream thickens. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- After the pie has chilled, spread or dot the whipped cream on top of the pie and garnish with a lemon slice.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Leave a Reply