Peanut Butter Magic Shell is the perfect topping for your ice cream sundae! This simple homemade recipe is quick, easy to make and only 2 ingredients. It hardens like magic over ice cream to make an incredible treat.
Peanut butter fans are going to love this homemade magic shell recipe! It will satisfy your sweet tooth with its rich decadent flavor. Think of a chocolate shell, but instead it’s a mouthwatering peanut butter version. Yum!
You may be tempted to eat this delicious sauce by itself. I wouldn’t judge if you did. It’s yummy! Serve it on top of your favorite ice cream either in a bowl or on a sundae or on ice cream cones.
One of the best things about this recipe is that it’s a bit of a magic trick. The sauce goes on top of cold ice cream smooth and silky and quickly turns into a hard shell. If you serve it with chocolate ice cream, it reminds me a bit like eating a peanut butter cup.
Why You’ll Love This Peanut Butter Shell Topping
- Only two simple ingredients
- Made in the microwave
- Skip the Dairy Queen drive thru and make your own decadent treat
- Easy to make in minutes
- Perfect for peanut butter fans
- Smooth peanut butter
- Coconut oil
How to Make Peanut Butter Magic Shell
- Step One: Add peanut butter and coconut oil to a microwave-safe bowl.
- Step Two: Melt the peanut butter and coconut oil in the microwave for 1 minute. Stir to combine.
- Step Three: Top ice cream with magic shell and allow the magic shell to set.
This post contains affiliate links.
What to Serve with Peanut Butter Magic Shell
Substitutions and Variations
- Use chunky peanut butter instead of smooth peanut butter to add some texture to your magic shell.
- Use natural peanut butter if you prefer a sugar-free version.
- Substitute another nut butter like almond butter or cashew butter for the peanut butter.
- Make a peanut butter chocolate magic shell by adding 1/2 cup chocolate chips into the mixture when you melt it in the microwave. Milk chocolate is yummy with peanut butter.
Store any leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature. You shouldn’t store it in the fridge. It should be good for a few weeks if stored correctly. You may need to reheat it as needed when you want to use it.
What is the Best Way to Reheat the Magic Shell?
Place the magic shell in a microwave safe bowl or container. Microwave for 20 to 30 seconds until it has thinned out.
What is Magic Shell?
Magic shell is a fun ice cream topping that will harden once it’s poured on top of ice cream.
Why Does Magic Shell Harden?
The magic happens because of the coconut oil. Coconut oil will get hard at room temperature. Once it hits the cold ice cream, it will immediately go back to its solid state.
Can I Use Shortening or Butter Instead of Coconut Oil?
Nope. This recipe will only work with coconut oil because it solidifies at room temperature.
Should I Use Refined or Unrefined Coconut Oil?
I like to use refined coconut oil because it has less of a coconut flavor. You’ll taste more of the peanut butter versus the coconut.
Ice Cream Toppings
If you make the recipe, rate it on the recipe card below and tag me on Instagram and use #simplystacie. I like sharing the photos on my Instagram stories!
Peanut Butter Magic Shell
- ½ cup smooth peanut butter
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- Add peanut butter and coconut oil to a microwave-safe bowl.
- Melt the peanut butter and coconut oil in the microwave for 1 minute. Stir to combine.
- Top ice cream with magic shell and allow the magic shell to set.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.