Lemon Bread is moist and sweet with a delicious tangy lemon flavor. This easy recipe is a must-try!
I remember coming home from school to a freshly baked loaf of my mom’s lemon bread. My favourite part was the sugary glaze. Soooo good.
Now that I’m an adult, I like to bake mom’s Lemon Bread for my family. The tradition continues and everyone in my home loves it, too.
I usually always have lemons on hand because I use them to make my own salad dressing. I’ve been stuck at home and decided I’d bake a loaf of Lemon Bread for everyone to enjoy. Besides the lemon, it’s all pantry ingredients + milk and eggs.
The bread itself is not overpowering. The lemon flavour is subtle and sweet without any sour taste. You can slather it with butter if you want or eat it plain. I like my plain.
My favourite way to enjoy it is when it’s still warm from the oven. It’s scrumptious!
Lemon Bread Ingredients
For this recipe, you’ll need to round up the following ingredients.
- Lemon (you’ll use the rind for the bread and the juice for the glaze)
- Baking powder
For the glaze, you’ll need the following ingredients.
- Lemon juice
How to Make Lemon Bread
Start by preheating the oven to 375F. Grease a loaf pan and set aside.
In a large bowl, cream together the shortening and sugar. Add in the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the grated lemon rind.
In another bowl, sift the flour, baking powder and salt. Add the flour mixture alternately with the milk to the creamed butter mixture.
Spread the batter evenly into the loaf pan. Bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
Remove from the oven. While still hot, sprinkle the sugar over the loaf. Drizzle the lemon juice on top of the sugar.
Let the loaf cool before slicing.
Helpful Kitchen Tools
These kitchen tools will help you prepare this recipe.
This post contains affiliate links.
Can Lemon Bread Be Frozen
Yes, you can freeze lemon bread! If you feel like spending a few hours baking, why not make a few extra loaves of this recipe?
To freeze, wrap the Lemon Bread in plastic freezer wrap or aluminum foil and freeze up to 4 to 6 months.
If you are looking for more bread recipes, check out these yummy picks.
- Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- Zucchini Bread (my grandma’s recipe!)
- Pineapple Cheese Bread
- Pumpkin Ribbon Bread
- Peach Bread
- Cream Cheese Stuffed Strawberry Bread
- Blueberry Bread
- White Chocolate Cherry Banana Bread
- Strawberry Bread
These are dessert bread recipes and you don’t need any yeast to make them. And they are super easy because that’s how I roll.
Now, if you love lemons like I do, you’ll want to try my other mouthwatering lemon recipes.
- Lemon Sauce
- Lemon Pound Cake Muffins
- Lemon Bars
- Lemon Curd Coconut Macaroons
- Homemade Lemon Curd
- Lemon Drizzle Muffins
- Lemon Cheese Bars
Are you ready to add some lemony sweetness to your life?
- 6 tbsp shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- Grated lemon rind from one lemon
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp sugar
- Juice of one lemon
- Preheat oven to 375F. Grease a loaf pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together shortening and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in lemon rind.
- In another bowl, sift flour, baking powder and salt. Add flour mixture alternately with milk to the creamed butter mixture.
- Spread mixture evenly into loaf pan. Bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Remove from oven. While still hot, sprinkle sugar over loaf. Then drizzle lemon juice over top. Let cool before slicing.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 317Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 53mgSodium: 378mgCarbohydrates: 50gFiber: 1gSugar: 30gProtein: 5g