Lemon Bread is moist and sweet with a delicious tangy lemon flavor. This easy recipe is a must-try!
I remember coming home from school to a freshly baked loaf of my mom’s lemon bread. My favourite part was the sugary glaze. Soooo good.
Now that I’m an adult, I like to bake mom’s Lemon Bread for my family. The tradition continues and everyone in my home loves it, too.
I usually always have lemons on hand because I use them to make my own salad dressing. I’ve been stuck at home and decided I’d bake a loaf of Lemon Bread for everyone to enjoy. Besides the lemon, it’s all pantry ingredients + milk and eggs.
The bread itself is not overpowering. The lemon flavour is subtle and sweet without any sour taste. You can slather it with butter if you want or eat it plain. I like my plain.
My favourite way to enjoy it is when it’s still warm from the oven. It’s scrumptious!
Lemon Bread Ingredients
For this recipe, you’ll need to round up the following ingredients.
- Lemon (you’ll use the rind for the bread and the juice for the glaze)
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
For the glaze, you’ll need the following ingredients.
- Lemon juice
How to Make Lemon Bread
- Step One: Preheat oven to 375F. Grease a loaf pan and set aside.
- Step Two: In a large bowl, cream together shortening and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in lemon rind.
- Step Three: In another bowl, sift flour, baking powder and salt. Add flour mixture alternately with milk to the creamed shortening mixture.
- Step Four: Spread mixture evenly into loaf pan. Bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Step Five: Remove from oven. While still hot, sprinkle sugar over loaf. Then drizzle lemon juice over top. Let cool before slicing.
Helpful Kitchen Tools
These kitchen tools will help you prepare this recipe.
This post contains affiliate links.
Can Lemon Bread Be Frozen
Yes, you can freeze lemon bread! If you feel like spending a few hours baking, why not make a few extra loaves of this recipe?
To freeze, wrap the Lemon Bread in plastic freezer wrap or aluminum foil and freeze up to 4 to 6 months.
If you are looking for more bread recipes, check out these yummy picks.
- Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- Zucchini Bread (my grandma’s recipe!)
- Pineapple Cheese Bread
- Pumpkin Ribbon Bread
- Peach Bread
- Cream Cheese Stuffed Strawberry Bread
- Blueberry Bread
- White Chocolate Cherry Banana Bread
- Strawberry Bread
These are dessert bread recipes and you don’t need any yeast to make them. And they are super easy because that’s how I roll.
Now, if you love lemons like I do, you’ll want to try my other mouthwatering lemon recipes.
- Lemon Sauce
- Lemon Pound Cake Muffins
- Lemon Bars
- Lemon Curd Coconut Macaroons
- Homemade Lemon Curd
- Lemon Drizzle Muffins
- Lemon Cheese Bars
- Lemon Zucchini Bread
- Lemon Tiramisu
- Lemon Impossible Pie
Are you ready to add some lemony sweetness to your life?
- 6 tbsp shortening
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- grated lemon rind from one lemon
- ½ cup milk
- 1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- juice of one lemon
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a loaf pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together shortening and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in lemon rind.
- In another bowl, sift flour, baking powder and salt. Add flour mixture alternately with milk to the creamed shortening mixture.
- Spread mixture evenly into loaf pan. Bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Remove from oven. While still hot, sprinkle sugar over loaf. Then drizzle lemon juice over top. Let cool before slicing.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.