Blueberry Bread is a delicious quick bread recipe full of sweet blueberry flavor! The perfect way to use your fresh summer blueberries.
Love blueberries? Raise your hand high in the air! I’m waving my hands over here. Blueberries are one of my favourite fruits. I love them in yogurt, desserts (hello cheesecake!) and in bread.
This lusciously sweet Blueberry Bread is an old recipe I found in a vintage church cookbook. I’ve been making it for a while and it always turns out great!
I live in the Ottawa Valley where blueberries are plentiful in the summer months. We love going to visit the local blueberry farm to pick our own blueberries. I usually end up with so many that I need some recipes to use them up so they don’t go to waste.
With everyone talking about baking bread lately…sans yeast (because I cannot find that stuff anywhere right now), this Blueberry Bread recipe is perfect timing to satisfy your sweet tooth. It takes minutes to prepare and only 1 hour to bake two loaves!
We kept one Blueberry Loaf for ourselves here to enjoy. We gave the other loaf to Matty’s parents. His mom messaged me and told me how delicious it was. They ate it with vanilla ice cream and it really hit the spot.
Each bite is perfectly sweet with the yummy blueberry flavour coming through with every morsel.
To add to this beauty, I topped it with a luscious vanilla glaze. It’s easy peasy to make and really adds to the taste and presentation.
Blueberry Bread Ingredients
For the bread itself, you’ll need:
- Milk (I used 2%)
- Vanilla extract
- Flour (All-purpose)
- Baking powder
- Fresh blueberries (You could use frozen blueberries (thaw them first) if you can’t find fresh)
For the Vanilla Glaze, you’ll need:
- Milk (2%). You could also use cream.
- Vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar (We call this “icing sugar” in Canada)
How to Make Blueberry Bread
Start by preheating the oven to 350F. Grease two loaf pans and set aside.
In a large bowl, stir together sugar and eggs. Add in the milk and vanilla extract and mix together.
In a large bowl, stir together flour, baking powder and salt. Add to egg mixture and stir to combine. Fold in the blueberries. The mixture will be quite thick.
Spread into loaf pans. Bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick comes out of the centre of the bread clean.
Cool the bread for 10 minutes in the pans and then remove and place on a cooling rack.
How to Make Vanilla Glaze
Start making the Vanilla Glaze right before the bread is due to come out of the oven or after it’s come out and still cooling in the loaf pans.
In a small bowl, stir together the powdered sugar, milk and vanilla. Increase the milk until the desired consistency is reached. I suggest starting out at 1 tbsp and seeing what you think of the consistency.
After the bread is on the cooling racks, drizzle the vanilla glaze over top. Let the bread cool and then slice and enjoy.
Helpful Kitchen Tools
These kitchen tools will help you make this recipe.
This post contains affiliate links.
How to Store Blueberry Bread
After the Blueberry Bread has cooled, wrap it in plastic wrap and store it at room temperature for up to three days.
You can also freeze it! Wrap it up in freezer safe wrap and store in the freezer for up to three months.
- Blueberry Tea Cake
- Blueberry Upside Down Cake
- Blueberry and Lemon Cheesecake Bars
- Blueberry Lemon Tart
- Blueberry Buckle
- Blueberry Streusel Muffins
- Blueberry Yogurt Muffins
See? So many yummy ways to use blueberries!
What is your favorite way to use blueberries?
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 cups flour
- 5 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups blueberries
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 to 2 tbsp milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease 2 loaf pans and set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together sugar and eggs. Add milk and vanilla extract and mix.
- In another large bowl, stir together flour, baking powder and salt. Add to egg mixture and stir to combine. Fold in blueberries.
- Spread mixture evenly between the loaf pans. Bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes in pan and then remove from pan and place on a cooling rack.
- Just before the bread is done baking, prepare the glaze. In a small bowl, combine powdered sugar, milk and vanilla. Add more/less milk until desired consistency is reached.
- Drizzle over bread once you place it on the cooling rack.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 496Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 49mgSodium: 633mgCarbohydrates: 109gFiber: 3gSugar: 57gProtein: 10g