Nutella Banana Bread is a classic banana bread with a rich chocolate hazelnut twist. Moist and tender banana bread with a luscious chocolate ribbon. It’s delicious served for breakfast, dessert or a snack.
If you love banana bread, you need to try it with Nutella swirls throughout. Divine! This may become your favorite way to enjoy Nutella in a moist banana bread recipe.
This quick bread is easy to make and perfect to serve for breakfast, dessert or as a midday snack. You can count on your sweet tooth to be satisfied with every bite. Bananas + chocolate is a match made in heaven.
Next time you’re craving some sweet treats, whip up a loaf of banana bread with chocolate hazelnut spread. Those Nutella swirls hit all the sweet spots!
Why You’ll Love This Nutella Banana Bread Recipe
- Best way to use up overripe bananas
- Fans of a classic banana bread recipe will love this chocolatey twist
- Rich nutty flavor of chocolate-hazelnut spread combines perfectly with the sweetness of the bananas
- Easy to make in an hour and 15 minutes
- Simple ingredients
- Nutella creates a beautiful marbled swirl in every slice
- Can be easily customized to suit preferences
- Versatile treat that can be enjoyed for dessert, breakfast or a snack
- All-purpose flour
- Baking soda
- Baking powder
- Unsalted butter
- Ripe bananas
- Brown sugar
- Granulated sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Nutella – You can use another brand’s chocolate hazelnut spread if you like or make your own homemade Nutella.
How to Make Nutella Swirl Banana Bread
- Step One: Grease a 9×5 inch loaf pan with cooking spray and line it with a piece of parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Step Two: In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Step Three: In a large mixing bowl, add the butter, bananas, brown sugar, sugar, eggs and vanilla. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes.
- Step Four: Gently stir in the flour mixture until just combined.
- Step Five: Pour half the batter into the loaf pan. Spoon half the Nutella over the batter and swirl them together with a knife. Add the remaining batter to the pan, spoon the remaining Nutella over the top and swirl them together with a knife.
- Step Six: Bake for 60 to 70 minutes until a toothpick is inserted in the center of the loaf and it comes out clean.
- Step Seven: Allow the bread to cool for 15 minutes before slicing.
This post contains affiliate links.
What to Serve with Nutella Banana Bread
- Top with a dollop of whipped cream. I love using my homemade Cool Whip!
- Serve with fresh fruit like strawberries or raspberries.
- Pair with a scoop of creamy vanilla ice cream. Try my homemade vanilla ice cream.
- Spread some plain or vanilla Greek yogurt on a slice.
- Enjoy with a cup of coffee or tea. Better yet, enjoy with a Mocha Latte!
Variations and Substitutions
- Not a fan of Nutella? Leave it out. You can also substitute peanut butter or almond butter. Make sure to heat the nut butter in the microwave so it will spread more evenly.
- Use chocolate chips in place of the Nutella.
- Use gluten-free flour instead of all-purpose flour for a gluten-free banana bread.
- Try some add-ins like chocolate chips, shredded coconut or chopped nuts.
Wrap up leftover banana bread tightly in some plastic wrap. Store on the counter at room temperature for up to 3 days. You can also put it in an airtight container.
Don’t refrigerate banana bread. It will keep moist if you store it wrapped at room temperature. The cold air in the fridge will dry it out.
Can I Freeze?
Definitely! Banana bread loaves freeze well. You have the option of freezing the whole loaf, part of a loaf or slices.
Wrap the bread in aluminum foil and place in the freezer bag. Freeze the bread for up to 3 months.
When you are ready to eat again, defrost the bread by unwrapping the frozen loaf and letting it sit at room temperature for several hours. You can store it in an airtight container at room temperature once it’s defrosted.
Can I Speed Up the Process of Ripening Bananas?
No ripe bananas? No problem. I have a couple ideas for you.
Place the bananas in a brown paper bag and fold it shut. Let the bananas sit in the bag overnight on the counter. They should be ripe enough to use the next day.
Another option is to bake the banana (in their skins) at 300°F for 15 to 20 minutes until the skins are brown and the flesh is softened. Make sure you all the them to cool before using in the recipe.
Tips and Tricks
- Use ripe bananas. The riper the bananas are, the sweeter your banana bread will be! Look for bananas with brown spots or completely brown peels. You may need to purchase them and wait a bit though. The bananas in the stores near me are always green!
- Don’t overmix the batter. If you overmix the batter, it can make the bread tough and dense. Mix until just combined and no more!
- Don’t mix the Nutella into the batter. You want to gently swirl it in with a butter knife or rubber spatula to create a marbled effect. Spread the Nutella out. Don’t just pour it into the middle of the bread.
- Don’t forget to spray the pan. The pan spray will prevent the bread from sticking. The parchment paper makes it easy to remove the loaf from the pan.
- Check for doneness. Insert a toothpick or a cake tester in the middle of the bread to see if it’s done baking. If it comes out clean, it’s ready!
- Let it cool. You may be tempted to slice into the loaf right away, but wait at least 10 to 15 minutes before removing it from the pan and cutting into slices. You don’t want your loaf to fall apart.
More Banana Bread Recipes
- Traditional banana bread
- Reese’s Peanut Butter Banana Bread
- Crockpot Banana bread
- White chocolate cherry banana bread
- Marbled Banana Bread
If you make the recipe, rate it on the recipe card below and tag me on Instagram and use #simplystacie. I like sharing the photos on my Instagram stories!
Nutella Banana Bread
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup butter melted
- 6 ripe bananas mashed
- ½ cup brown sugar packed
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup Nutella
- Grease a 9×5 inch loaf pan with cooking spray and line it with a piece of parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the butter, bananas, brown sugar, sugar, eggs and vanilla. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Gently stir in the flour mixture until just combined.
- Pour half the batter into the loaf pan. Spoon half the Nutella over the batter and swirl them together with a knife. Add the remaining batter to the pan, spoon the remaining Nutella over the top and swirl them together with a knife.
- Bake for 60 to 70 minutes until a toothpick is inserted in the center of the loaf and it comes out clean.
- Allow the bread to cool for 15 minutes before slicing.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.