Enjoy a piping hot bowl of this hearty and comforting Tortellini Soup filled with Italian sausage, fresh tortellini and spices in a savory broth. This cozy dinner idea is the perfect easy weeknight meal made in one pot!
Next time you’re craving an easy soup recipe with great flavor, whip up a batch of this easy tortellini soup! It’s the perfect dinner for busy nights.
I add this amazing soup recipe to our regular rotation of meals. My family loves it and often makes requests for it. I’m happy to oblige because I enjoy it, too.
It’s got a great mix of ingredients with fresh kale, fresh veggies, fresh herbs, Italian sausage and spices. Your house will smell SO GOOD with this pot of soup cooking on the stove. It’s one of my favorite soups. I hope it becomes your new favorite, too!
Why You’ll Love this Tortellini Soup
- Flavorful soup loaded with fresh ingredients
- One-pot soup recipe that’s easy to prepare
- Perfect for soup season or anytime of year
- A delicious soup recipe the entire family can enjoy
- Hearty enough to be used as a main course
- Ready to eat in just over an hour
Full measurements and instructions can be found in the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
- Yellow onion
- Mild Italian sausage
- Italian seasoning – Try my homemade Italian Seasoning.
- Salt and black pepper
- All-purpose flour – I use it to thicken the soup.
- Chicken broth
- Diced tomatoes
- Tomato paste
- Fresh basil
- Fresh tortellini pasta – Any variety.
How to Make Homemade Tortellini Soup
- Step One: Add onion, Italian sausage, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper to a large pot over medium heat. Cook, stirring often to break up the Italian sausage, until sausage is cooked (about 8 minutes).
- Step Two: Stir in flour. Cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Step Three: Stir in chicken broth, diced tomatoes and tomato paste. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
- Step Four: Stir in kale, tortellini and basil. Turn heat up to medium heat and cook an additional 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve hot.
This post contains affiliate links.
What to Serve with Sausage Tortellini Soup
Variations and Substitutions
- Sprinkle on Parmesan cheese or fresh parsley for garnish.
- Use vegetable broth instead of chicken stock.
- Add a kick of heat with the addition of red pepper flakes.
- Use fresh spinach instead of kale.
- Make a vegetarian tortellini soup by omitting the Italian sausage.
- Use ground beef instead of sausage.
- Use hot Italian sausage instead of mild for a more spicy soup.
- Use a low-sodium chicken broth to keep the sodium content down.
- Add fresh vegetables like chopped celery ribs or sliced carrots.
- Use tomato sauce instead of the can of diced tomatoes.
Store any leftover soup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop.
Can I Freeze?
Yes, you can freeze tortellini soup after it’s cooked and cooled in freezer containers for up to 3 months.
However, if you know ahead of time that you want to freeze it, I recommend cooking it without the tortellini and freezing it. The reason being that the tortellini may become mushy after it’s thawed.
Cook up a fresh batch of tortellini and add it to the thawed soup when you’re ready to serve.
Slow Cooker Instructions
- Follow step one of the recipe by cooking the Italian sausage, garlic, onion, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Add to a 6-quart Crockpot.
- Add chicken broth, diced tomatoes and tomato paste. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on LOW heat for 6 to 8 hours (or 4 hours on HIGH).
- In the last half hour of cooking time, stir in the kale, tortellini and basil. Continue to cook for 30 minutes or until kale is wilted and tortellini is cooked.
If you make the recipe, rate it on the recipe card below and tag me on Instagram and use #simplystacie. I like sharing the photos on my Instagram stories!
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 5 mild Italian sausages casings removed
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 can diced tomatoes (28oz)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 4 cups kale chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh basil chopped
- 1 bag fresh tortellini (12oz/350g)
- Add onion, Italian sausage, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper to a large pot over medium heat. Cook, stirring often to break up the Italian sausage, until sausage is cooked (about 8 minutes).
- Stir in flour. Cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Stir in chicken broth, diced tomatoes and tomato paste. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
- Stir in kale, tortellini and basil. Turn heat up to medium heat and cook an additional 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve hot.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.