Some food combinations go better together than others. Bananas + Caramel are a match made in heaven and pair beautifully together. I made these incredibly moist and flavourful banana muffins and topped them with a sinfully sweet ribbon of homemade caramel. So so good.
If you have brown bananas wasting away on your countertop or in your freezer, try this recipe and use them up. The browner the banana, the sweeter it will be. Plus, they’ll be super easy to mash up.
The bananas I buy at our grocery store are usually green and I have to leave them sit a few days before we can eat them. That’s one downside to this recipe is that you really should wait till the bananas are nice and ripe. I’m sure you could still try and use them, but they’ll be less sweet and harder to mash up.
Try one of these Caramel Banana Muffins for breakfast or for a satisfying afternoon treat. This recipe makes one dozen so you’ll have some to share if you like.
Check out my other recipes to use up your bananas: Banana Cupcakes, Banana Bread, Banana Streusel Muffins, Banana Raspberry Muffins, Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins, Banana Chocolate Cake, Cinnamon Banana Pancakes and Banana Cake with Toffee Frosting. I also have these Lemon Pound Cake Muffins that you might like. You may also enjoy this Caramel Apple Dump Cake.
What are some of the ways you use up your brown bananas?
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a muffin pan with paper liners.
- Stir together muffin ingredients in a large bowl until combined. Scoop batter into paper liners until 3/4 full.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool on a cooling rack.
- Melt butter in small saucepan over medium low heat. Stir in brown sugar and milk and bring to a boil. Remove from heat. Cool slightly. Whisk in powdered sugar.
- Place icing in a small baggie and cut out corner. Drizzle icing over muffins.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 243Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 23mgSodium: 177mgCarbohydrates: 44gFiber: 1gSugar: 29gProtein: 3g