Toasted Coconut Muffins
Hi everyone! Heather here visiting from Food Lovin’ Family. Today I am sharing my daughter’s new favorite, Toasted Coconut Muffins.
My youngest daughter recently informed me that her favorite food is a muffin. She wants them for breakfast, for snacks, packed in her lunch and even tries to convince me they are good for dinner. I have dubbed her the muffin queen of the family. She loves helping me mix up the batter and also enjoys putting the muffin liners in the tin. Her go-to muffins are blueberry but recently she has been loving these toasted coconut muffins and so has the whole family. I have had to make several batches because they get eaten so fast.
Toasted Coconut Muffins
These toasted coconut muffins have a nice coconut flavor, not too overwhelming. They are topped with a toasted coconut streusel – YUM! Toasting coconut really brings out the flavor and adds a nice little crunch to the top of the muffin.
These muffins are quick and easy to make. Start by mixing together the oil, milk, sour cream, egg, coconut extract and sugar. Stir in the flour and baking powder and then finally the shredded coconut. Scoop the batter into prepared muffin tins. This recipe will make 12 muffins.
For my favorite part, the topping, starts by toasting some sweetened shredded coconut. I put my coconut in a small skillet over medium heat. Stir the coconut around until it starts to toast. The smell is amazing, it makes me want to go to the beach! Mix the toasted coconut with melted butter, flour and a little sugar. Sprinkle the mixture on top of each muffin. Bake the muffins at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes or until done. You can test by inserting a toothpick in the center of the muffin to see if it comes out dry. One quick muffin tip, don’t use an electric mixer and try to not over mix the batter. When you add the dry ingredients, give it just a few stirs until the mixture is moistened.
I hope you enjoy these muffins as much as my little muffin queen!
Helpful Kitchen Tools
This post contains affiliate links.
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut – toasted
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Preheat oven 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl stir together sour cream, milk, egg, coconut extract, vegetable oil and sugar.
- Add in flour and baking powder and stir just until moist.
- Fold in 1/4 cup coconut.
- Place 12 muffin cup liners in muffin cups. Divide batter evenly among the cups.
- For the streusel, mix together toasted coconut, butter, flour and sugar. Sprinkle over each muffin cup.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of muffin comes out clean.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 172Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 30mgSodium: 86mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 1gSugar: 11gProtein: 3g