Apple Slab Pie is perfect for serving a crowd with its sheet pan style. Juicy apple pie filling is topped on a tender flaky crust and finished off with a buttery crumb topping. Each square will melt in your mouth!
If you love traditional apple pie, you’ll love this apple slab pie recipe! It has your favorite apple pie flavors with less than half the work. I use a few shortcuts in this easy recipe to save time and effort.
‘Tis apple season and the best way to get your apple fix is with an easy apple pie recipe. Serve it for Thanksgiving dessert or as a the grand finale of a delicious meal. I love eating mine with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top.
I use refrigerated pie crusts and canned apple pie filling because simple recipes are my jam. You could totally use homemade if you wish! This delicious recipe is ready in about 1 hour. Waiting for it to cool down is the hardest part.
Why You’ll Love Easy Apple Slab Pie
- No need to make homemade pie crust unless you want to.
- Uses premade pie crusts to save on time.
- Made with canned apple filling to save time.
- Perfect dessert to feed a lot of people.
- Receives rave reviews from friends and family
- Makes a decadent addition to your Thanksgiving dinner
- Refrigerated pie crusts – Make sure to thaw them out first according to the package directions.
- Apple pie filling
- All-purpose flour
- Brown sugar – Dark or light brown sugar is fine.
- Ground nutmeg
- Ground cinnamon
- Unsalted butter – Make sure it’s nice and cold.
How to Make Apple Slab Pie with Crumble Topping
- Step One: Preheat the oven to 400°F. Move the oven rack to the lower third of the oven.
- Step Two: Lightly flour a work surface. Unroll two thawed pie crusts and stack them on top of each other.
- Step Three: Roll the dough to about a 17″x14″ rectangle using a large rolling pin.
- Step Four: Transfer the dough to a quarter sheet pan and press the crust into the corners of the pan, allowing the excess dough to hang over the edges.
- Step Five: Roll the crust edges toward the center of the pan to create an edge. Using an overturned spoon, make a decorative indentation.
- Step Six: Pour two cans of pie filling into the pie crust.
- Step Seven: In a medium mixing bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon.
- Step Eight: Cut the cold butter into cubes and add to a mixing bowl. Using your hands or a pastry blender, combine ingredients to form a crumbly texture.
- Step Nine: Sprinkle the topping over the apple pie filling.
- Step Ten: Bake for 45 minutes or until the crust is brown and the filling is bubbly. Serve warm or at room temperature.
This post contains affiliate links.
What to Serve with Apple Slab Pie
I love these easy Thanksgiving recipes to go along with this simple slab pie recipe.
- Loaded Mashed Potatoes
- Candied Sweet Potatoes
- Green Bean Casserole
- Simple Stuffing for Turkey
- Broccoli Casserole
Substitutions and Variations
- Try homemade apple pie filling if you prefer not to use canned.
- Make a traditional pie crust if you like the homemade version better. I use the pre-made pie crust because it’s easier.
- Switch out the pie filling and make a blueberry slab pie with a can of blueberry pie filling.
To store leftover slab pie, cover the pie loosely with plastic wrap or aluminum foil. Store at room temperature for up to 2 days OR in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Can I Freeze Apple Slab Pie?
Yes, you can definitely freeze this pie recipe.
Tightly cover the pie in plastic wrap or aluminum foil and place in a large freezer bag for up to 3 months.
You can also freeze individual slices in the same way.
Thaw at room temperature and reheat if you wish.
- Vanilla ice cream – Try my homemade vanilla ice cream.
- Whipped cream
- Caramel sauce or butterscotch sauce
- Cheddar cheese – Cheddar cheese with apple pie is yummy.
What is the Best Pan to Use for Slab Pie?
I like to use a Baker’s Quarter Sheet Pan (about 9×13 inches). It’s a little deeper than a traditional jelly roll pan which makes the crust thicker on both the bottom and sides.
If you prefer, you can use a 10×15″ jelly roll pan. Reduce the baking time slightly because the crust will be thinner and bake more quickly.
What is Slab Pie?
Slab Pie is basically a pie made with a sheet pan instead of a pie pan. It’s cut into squares instead of the traditional triangular pie slices. It typically serves more people than a regular pie will serve making it a fabulous option when you have lots of mouths to feed.
You can turn just about any pie into a slab pie. Use different fruit fillings or even try pecan or chocolate. Be creative with it and have fun!
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- Make sure to follow the directions on your pie crust for thawing if you buy it frozen.
- Keep the pie crusts in their packaging until you are ready to use them. This will prevent them from drying out and they’ll be easier to roll.
- To make transferring the rolled out crust into the pan easier, roll the crust around the rolling pin and one of the pan and carefully unroll the crust.
- Move your oven rack to the lower third of the oven to prevent a soggy bottom crust. This can happen in fruit pie recipes.
- Use a regular kitchen spoon to create the decorative edge on the pie crust. You could also just leave it rolled or flute it.
- Make sure the butter you use for the crumble topping is COLD. You won’t be able to work easily with room temperature butter when mixing together the crumble ingredients and it will be more difficult to sprinkle over the top of the pie.
- Place a large baking sheet on the bottom rack of the oven in case there is any spillage.
- If you notice the pie crust and topping getting too browned, place a piece of aluminum foil gently on top while the pie finishes baking. If you take the pie out too soon, you may have a soggy, underbaked bottom crust.
- If you extra people to serve, cut the pie into small squares. You can still cut into 16 square and have a decent sized serving.
Fall Dessert Recipes
- Cracker Barrel Fried Apples
- Caramel Apple Dump Cake
- Cinnamon Bread
- Pumpkin Pie Cheesecake
- Cinnamon Roll Monkey Bread
- Sweet Potato Pie
- Apple Pie Egg Rolls
- Air Fryer Apples
- Apple Compote
If you make the recipe, rate it on the recipe card below and tag me on Instagram and use #simplystacie. I like sharing the photos on my Instagram stories!
Apple Slab Pie
- 2 refrigerated pie crusts thawed according to package directions
- 2 cans apple pie filling 21 oz cans
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup brown sugar packed
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ cup unsalted butter cold
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Move the oven rack to the lower third of the oven.
- Lightly flour a work surface. Unroll two thawed pie crusts and stack them on top of each other.
- Roll the dough to about a 17"x14" rectangle using a large rolling pin.
- Transfer the dough to a quarter sheet pan and press the crust into the corners of the pan, allowing the excess dough to hang over the edges.
- Roll the crust edges toward the center of the pan to create an edge. Using an overturned spoon, make a decorative indentation.
- Pour two cans of pie filling into the pie crust.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon.
- Cut the cold butter into cubes and add to a mixing bowl. Using your hands or a pastry blender, combine ingredients to form a crumbly texture.
- Sprinkle the topping over the apple pie filling.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the crust is brown and the filling is bubbly.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.