These Toasted Coconut Muffins are the perfect breakfast or snack! They’re a moist and fluffy muffin infused with coconut flavor and topped with a toasted coconut streusel topping. Just 15 minutes to prep!
I love anything and everything coconut. And if you do too, then you’re going to love these Toasted Coconut Muffins!
This recipe starts with a perfect moist, light, fluffy, and delicious muffin batter that’s flavored with a little bit of coconut extract. The batter is portioned into muffins, topped with a crunchy toasted coconut streusel, then baked until just right. If the muffins weren’t good enough already, that coconut streusel really just takes them to the next level. The coconut flavor is noticeable, but not overwhelming, making them perfect for coconut lovers and those who prefer a less strong coconut flavor.
This is a muffin recipe I love to bake up for easy snacks, breakfasts, or even desserts.
Why You’ll Love Toasted Coconut Muffins
- Simple ingredients. Just your classic muffin ingredients, plus a little bit of coconut extract and shredded coconut.
- Quick prep. These muffins are ready to pop in the oven in no more than 15 minutes.
- Perfect flavor. The coconut flavor is just right. Noticeable, but balanced!
The full printable recipe card with measurements and instructions is found at the bottom of the post.
- Flour: All-purpose flour gives the muffins their structure.
- Baking Powder: Keeps the texture of the muffins light and fluffy.
- Oil: I recommend vegetable or canola oil. Both add moisture without altering the flavor of the muffins.
- Sour Cream: Sour cream adds tons of moisture and gives the muffins a subtly tangy flavor.
- Milk: Use whatever milk you have on hand. If using non-dairy milk, make sure it’s unsweetened.
- Sugar: Granulated Sugar adds just the right amount of sweetness to the muffins.
- Egg: Egg helps bind everything together so the muffins can hold their shape.
- Coconut Extract: I love to add a little bit of extra coconut flavor with coconut extract. Go easy with this, though. A little goes a long way.
- Shredded Coconut: I like to use sweetened, shredded coconut. A little extra sweetness never hurts, right?
- Streusel Topping: toasted coconut (sweetened and shredded), all-purpose flour, sugar, salted butter.
How to Make Toasted Coconut Muffins
- Step One: Preheat oven 350℉. In a large bowl stir together sour cream, milk, egg, coconut extract, vegetable oil and sugar.
- Step Two: Add in flour and baking powder and stir just until moist. Fold in ¼ cup coconut.
- Step Three: Place 12 muffin cup liners in muffin cups. Divide batter evenly among the cups.
- Step Four: For the streusel, mix together toasted coconut, butter, flour and sugar. Sprinkle over each muffin cup.
- Step Five: Bake for 15-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of muffin comes out clean.
This post contains affiliate links.
What to Serve with Toasted Coconut Muffins
These coconut muffins make an excellent grab-and-go breakfast, snack, or even dessert all on their own. They also make a delicious addition to a big breakfast or brunch! Here are some of my favorite recipes to enjoy alongside a platter of these muffins:
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- Mix by hand. It may be tempting to whip out your electric mixer to mix up the batter, but this can quickly cause the texture of the muffins to become tough and dry. For the best results, mix by hand until just moistened and combined.
- Use muffin liners. This keeps the mess to a minimum, makes cleanup super easy, and makes the muffins a super easy grab-and-go snack.
- Divide the batter evenly. Make sure that you are putting even amounts of batter in each muffin cup so they all bake at the same rate.
- To check for doneness, insert a toothpick into the center of one of the muffins. If it comes out dry, then they’re ready to come out of the oven.
- Cool before serving. I recommend letting the muffins cool for 5-10 minutes in the pan, then transfer them to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
Variations and Substitutions
- Add nuts. Give them a little extra nutty crunch by mixing in a handful of chopped walnuts or almonds.
- Add fruit. Try adding a scoop of blueberries to make blueberry coconut muffins or add some pieces of chopped pineapple for a tropical twist.
- Make lemon coconut muffins. Swap the coconut extract out for lemon extract.
- Frost them. Make them into more of a dessert by drizzling them with your favorite icing or slathering the top with a creamy frosting.
Leftover toasted coconut muffins can be stored in an airtight container or ziplock bag in at room temperature for 2-3 days or in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Enjoy cold, at room temperature, or warm in the microwave!
Can these be frozen?
Yes! To freeze your muffins, let them cool completely, then place them in an airtight container or ziplock bag and store them in the freezer for 2-3 months. When you’re ready to enjoy again, you can thaw them at room temperature or microwave single muffins until thawed.
What is the Secret to Moist Muffins?
There are a couple of “secrets” you can take advantage of to ensure you get the best muffin texture! Here are a few tips:
- Spoon and level your flour. The key is to not over-measure your dry ingredients. To ensure this doesn’t happen, I recommend spooning the flour into a measuring cup, then gently leveling it off with your finger. This prevents it from getting too packed in, thus creating a dry texture.
- Don’t over-mix. Over-mixing can over-develop the gluten in the flour which can create a tough, dry texture.
- Don’t over-bake. Baking the muffins too long will zap the moisture out of them. Remove them from the oven as soon.
Can You Toast Coconut in the Oven?
Totally! I prefer to toast my coconut in a skillet on the stove over medium heat. That way it’s super easy to keep an eye on.
If you’d rather toast your coconut in the oven, spread it out in a single layer on a baking sheet, then bake at 325ºF until golden. Be sure to watch closely so you don’t burn it!
How Long Does Toasted Coconut Last?
Making a big batch of toasted coconut? Use some for your muffins, then store the rest in an airtight container at room temperature for 2 weeks or in the fridge for up to 1 month.
Toasted Coconut Muffins
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1 cup sour cream
- ¼ cup milk
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp coconut extract
- ¼ cup sweetened shredded coconut
- ¼ cup sweetened shredded coconut toasted
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp salted butter melted
- Preheat oven 350℉.
- In a large bowl stir together sour cream, milk, egg, coconut extract, vegetable oil and sugar.
- Add in flour and baking powder and stir just until moist.
- Fold in ¼ cup coconut.
- Place 12 muffin cup liners in muffin cups. Divide batter evenly among the cups.
- For the streusel, mix together toasted coconut, butter, flour and sugar. Sprinkle over each muffin cup.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of muffin comes out clean.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.