Living a low carb lifestyle doesn’t mean you have to eat bland, boring food. My cousin told me about a recipe she makes with roasted cauliflower and seasoning and this simple recipe idea for Buffalo Popcorn was born. Though it’s so easy that you don’t even really need a recipe to follow and you can change up the seasoning to whatever you like.
Buffalo cauliflower popcorn is a delicious, healthier alternative to traditional popcorn. It’s made with bite-sized pieces of cauliflower coated in a rich, spicy buffalo sauce and then baked in the oven until crispy.
This snack is an excellent choice for vegans and vegetarians since it contains no animal products and is low in fat and cholesterol. It pairs perfectly with chilled beers or cocktails due to its bold flavors. Buffalo cauliflower popcorn makes for a great party appetizer that will leave your guests wanting more!
Talk about an addicting, yet guilt-free snack. Normally, I’d feel bad about eating a whole bag of popcorn. I didn’t bat an eyelash eating a whole container of this recipe though!
For more Buffalo recipes, try my Buffalo Chicken Sliders.
Why You’ll Love This Buffalo Popcorn Recipe
- It’s a low carb recipe
- Ready in under a half hour
- You only need three ingredients
- Super simple recipe that only requires three steps
- Head of cauliflower, cut into small florets
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Buffalo wing popcorn seasoning
How to Make Buffalo Popcorn
- Step One: Preheat oven to 400F. Place cauliflower on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil.
- Step Two: Sprinkle Buffalo seasoning evenly on cauliflower.
- Step Three: Bake for 20 minutes. Serve hot.
This post contains affiliate links.
What to Serve with Buffalo Popcorn
Buffalo cauliflower popcorn pairs nicely with crunchy sides like celery sticks, carrots and tortilla chips. You can also serve it with creamy dips or dressings such as ranch, blue cheese, tzatziki or aioli.
If you’re feeling adventurous, try pairing it with more unconventional side dishes like roasted potatoes, sweet potato fries or even a light salad. The possibilities are endless!
You could also try some of these recipes:
- Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Crockpot White Chili Chicken Dip
- Lemon Dill Dip
- Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Tex-Mex Spinach Dip
- Grilled Eggplant Dip
Helpful Tips and Tricks
- The key thing you have to do is cut the cauliflower into small florets. It looks more like popcorn that way and will roast faster. I bake mine for 20 minutes in the oven. You can see from the photos that they were just starting to brown.
- I prefer to serve it hot and fresh out of the oven.
- Do your best to evenly coat the cauliflower before you roast it. Generously coat it before tossing in the oven. Then add more seasoning after you pull it out if you really want to pack a punch of flavor.
- To make clean up even easier, you can line your baking tray with aluminum foil or use a set of reusable baking mats on your baking sheet.
- Watch your baking time. Start checking your cauliflower a few minutes before the timer finishes. As you can see in the photos, my cauliflower just started to brown as I pulled it out. If you don’t want it to brown, you may need to pull it out a little sooner. Also, if you want yours a little more crispy, you can broil it over the last little bit of time. Either way, be sure to watch it so you get it just how you want it to turn out.
- The Buffalo Popcorn will be VERY hot when you pull it from the oven. Let it sit for a few minutes to cool down so they will be safe to handle. Nobody want to burn their mouth on these tasty things.
Recipe Variations and Substitutions
There are countless ways to put your own twist on buffalo cauliflower popcorn! Here are some of our favorite ideas:
- All you’ll need is a head of cauliflower, oil and some popcorn seasoning. I bought the Kernels Popcorn seasoning in Buffalo Wing flavour. Feel free to switch it out to whatever one you have in your pantry.
- Make this spicier by adding a few dashes of your favoirte hot sauce to your cauliflower either before you toss it in the oven, or after you pop it out of the oven.
- Try adding some fresh herbs like parsley or basil. You can also experiment by adding different spices such as cayenne pepper, garlic powder, paprika, oregano or chili powder.
- You can also add in different ingredients like diced bell pepper or mushrooms to make a main dish.
- If you’re looking for something sweeter, try adding in honey or maple syrup to the buffalo sauce.
Store leftover cauliflower popcorn in an airtight container and keep it in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
I definitely recommend heating it up again before you enjoy any leftover Buffalo Popcorn Bites.
Can I Freeze This?
Yes! Freezing any leftovers of this recipe is a great way to have another snack on hand. All you have to do is thaw and reheat, or just pop them back on a baking sheet and toss them in the oven until warmed thoroughly again.
This recipe is also good for a make ahead recipe where you can make an extra batch or two of cauliflower popcorn and freeze it to have for later.
Do I have to use buffalo popcorn seasoning?
No, if you don’t have buffalo popcorn spices, you can use other popcorn spices. You can also make your own mixture of spices and add some hot sauce to give them the Buffalo vibes you are aiming for. See some more of our ideas listed above.
More Low Carb Recipes
- Keto Cauliflower Ziti
- Chicken and Egg Ramekins
- Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Spicy Pepper Chicken
- Healthy Shepherd’s Pie
- Low Carb Meal Plan
Follow me on Instagram @simplystacieblog, Facebook at Simply Stacie, TikTok @simplystacierecipes or Pinterest at @simplystacie and let me know how you liked this recipe and my other recipes.
If you make the recipe, rate it on the recipe card below and tag me on Instagram and use #simplystacie. I like sharing the photos on my Instagram stories!
The easiest low carb snack! Satisfy your salty cravings with this bite-size cauliflower drizzled in popcorn seasoning.
- 1 head of cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 1 to 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 to 3 tablespoons buffalo wing popcorn seasoning
- Preheat oven to 400F. Place cauliflower on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil.
- Sprinkle Buffalo seasoning evenly on cauliflower.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Serve hot.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 276Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 346mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 7gSugar: 6gProtein: 9g
CJ Huang says
What a creative way to make “popcorn!” Love how easily you can switch out the flavors too. 🙂
Linda at Mixed Kreations says
This looks like a yummy and healthy snack!! And I can eat it without feeling guilty. Will have to give this a try! Thanks for sharing! Pinning!
Jennifer Landis says
Yes! This looks absolutely delightful! I’ve never tried buffalo cauliflower before and now I definitely will!
Julie Wood says
Oh yum. this popcorn sounds so delicious and fun to make with the kids. I will be making it for Movie night!
G K says
It looks a lot like popcorn. I need to find that seasoning.
kathy downey says
We are always looking for healthier choices,would love to try this !