This winter detox salad is my go-to lunch after the holidays when my body is begging me to get back on track. After all, the surplus of Christmas cookies and slabs of cheese can weigh you down after a while (as delicious as they are!).
If you’ve been feeling sluggish, this salad is a godsend as it’s loaded with color, texture, and nutrients that’ll have you fighting fit. Oh, and don’t even get me started on the subtle hit of protein from the quinoa and the fiber-filled kale!
Although the base salad ingredients are delicious, it’s the zingy orange-based dressing that steals the show here. The extra virgin olive oil is perfectly smooth and loaded with healthy fats, making it a satisfying addition to an otherwise simple salad.
You don’t even need to indulge in dessert if you’re chowing down on this winter detox salad. That’s right – it’s made with slices of orange to give you just the right amount of sweetness to keep those cravings at bay.
So, here’s to giving your liver a helping hand with a fresh, wholesome, and low-calorie salad!
Why You’ll Love This Winter Detox Salad
- It’s loaded with wholesome and nutritious ingredients that’ll make your body feel energized.
- It comes together in minutes and stores well for those busy weeks.
- The zingy orange dressing instantly lifts each bite and makes it perfect for summer!
- The kale adds a bunch of fiber, vitamins, and minerals to the mix.
The full printable recipe card with measurements and instructions is found at the bottom of the post.
For the salad
- Cooked quinoa. Gives the salad a large hit of protein power and a decent dose of healthy carbs.
- Pomegranate arils. For sweetness, crunch, and a pop of color.
- Chopped baby kale. Not only is kale packed with Vitamins C and K, but it contains fiber, antioxidants, and calcium! So, it’s the superfood base of this salad that packs a major punch.
- Parsley. For a fresh and herby flavor that complements the rest of the ingredients.
- Oranges. Gives the salad a zesty, summery freshness that works beautifully with the orange-based dressing.
For the dressing
- Orange juice. The tangy and zingy base of the dressing which adds a ton of brightness.
- Extra virgin olive oil. This star ingredient adds healthy fats and antioxidants to the dressing while keeping it perfectly smooth and fruity.
- White vinegar. Just a dash to balance the dressing and add a distinctive tartness.
How to Make This Winter Detox Salad
- Step One: In a large bowl, toss together quinoa, pomegranate arils, kale, parsley, and oranges.
- Step Two: In a small bowl or jar, whisk together orange juice, olive oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper.
- Step Three: Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to coat.
- Step Four: Serve and enjoy!
I always suggest using a few staple pieces of equipment for amazing results. If you don’t already have these to hand, they’re bound to come in useful for several future recipes.
This post contains affiliate links.
What to Serve with Winter Detox Salad
- Oven Baked Chicken Wings
- Impossible Chicken Pie
- Air Fryer Chicken Wings
- Honey Garlic Baked Salmon
- Peanuts Salmon Steak
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- If you’re meal-prepping this salad, keep the dressing separate. You can technically store this salad with the dressing poured over it, but it’s way more likely to go soggy. I prefer keeping the dressing separate and pouring it over just before serving to avoid wilted leaves.
- If you want to add more crunch to your salad, throw in a few more veggies. Radishes, broccoli, and sweet peppers are all excellent picks to add color to the mix.
- Don’t overdo the dressing. This bright and fresh dressing is a total delight, but adding too much is going to drown the kale and quinoa. Add the dressing in small increments to get the balance just right.
Variations and Substitutions
- For more protein, add meat or a plant-based protein of your choice. Chicken and salmon are always solid options, but tofu or chickpeas are also excellent options to boost the protein content here.
- If you don’t like grains, load up on veggies. Broccoli, carrots, and greens contain enough carbs to keep you satisfied and will help you hit your 5-a-day even more quickly!
- If you want even more crunch, a pre-chopped slaw mix (without any dressing!) is a good addition to this salad.
- Adore Mediterranean salads? You can easily spice things up with olives and feta cheese for an extra hit of protein and texture.
This delicious winter detox salad stores for up to 4 days in the refrigerator. I suggest storing it in an airtight container to extend its life as much as possible!
Can I Freeze?
I don’t recommend freezing this salad as the leaves will wilt and simply won’t defrost properly.
Like with many salads, this winter detox salad is best enjoyed just after it’s prepared or a few days later!
Winter Detox Salad
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 cup pomegranate arils
- 2 cups chopped baby kale
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- 2 oranges peeled and cut into ½ inch pieces
- ⅓ cup orange juice
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ⅛ cup white vinegar
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp pepper
- In a large bowl, toss together quinoa, pomegranate arils, kale, parsley and oranges.
- In a small bowl or jar, whisk together orange juice, olive oil, vinegar and salt and pepper. Pour over salad and toss to coat.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.