Use your air fryer to make the best crispy chicken wings in minutes! These Air Fryer Chicken Wings are covered in a garlic, lemon pepper and Parmesan marinade for the most delicious flavor.
My guy is obsessed with chicken wings. He usually throws a sheet of frozen chicken wings in the oven because it’s little work on his part. However, since getting my air fryer, I’ve been making typical oven foods in it instead.
I wanted to try chicken wings in the air fryer and see how they compared. The verdict? He LOVED them and said they were the best wings he’s tried.
To make this simple air fryer appetizer, you’ll need these ingredients. The FULL printable recipe card with all the measurements and directions is at the bottom of the post.
This post contains affiliate links.
- Chicken wings – Make sure you either buy them already split or split them yourself into flats and drummettes.
- Extra virgin olive oil – This will coat the wings so they won’t stick to the air fryer and will hold the seasonings on the wing.
- Garlic salt
- Lemon Pepper – I used Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper on mine, but any lemon pepper will do. You can also make your own if you like!
- Parmesan cheese – I buy it already grated into the fine powder.
How to Make
1. Preheat air fryer (if your model requires it) to 400F. Set cooking time to 16 minutes.
2. Pat wings dry with a paper towel. Add to a bowl.
3. In a small bowl, stir together extra virgin olive oil, garlic salt, lemon pepper and Parmesan cheese.
4. Pour over wings and toss to cover.
5. Place wings in a single layer in air fryer basket. You may need to do a couple batches depending on the size of your air fryer.
6. Air fry for 8 minutes and the flip wings over with tongs. Air fry for an additional 8 minutes (16 minutes total cooking time). Check for doneness and see if they need any additional times as air fryer cooking time vary by model.
7. Serve with your favorite dipping sauce and celery sticks, if desired.
More Air Fryer Recipes to Try
- Air Fryer Pizza Buns
- Air Fryer Garlic Cheese Stuffed Crescent Rolls
- Air Fryer Oreos
- Air Fryer Pizza
- Air Fryer Potato Chips
Helpful Kitchen Tools
These kitchen tools will help you make this recipe.
- Air Fryer – I LOVE my Ninja Foodi Grill and Air Fryer
- Tongs – These make flipping the wings at the halfway point super easy
- Mixing bowl
- Scraper spatula – I love this tool for mixing ingredients
How long do wings take to cook in the air fryer
I tested this recipe several times and found the sweet spot for my air fryer (Ninja Foodi) to be 16 minutes at 400F. I recommend checking your wings with a meat thermometer at the 16 minute mark and see if they require more time. You want them to be at least 165F.
The first time I made them I air fried them for 20 minutes and the still tasted good, but were a little on the darker side.
Can you put raw chicken in the air fryer
Yes! These wings were raw when they went into my air fryer and came out cooked beautifully. So tender and flavorful. Most of the meat I cook in my air fryer is raw (versus frozen).
Can you air fry frozen chicken wings
Yes, you sure can! You don’t even need to thaw them out first either.
The cooking time is a little longer than fresh wings. The Typical Mom has a great post about how to make frozen chicken wings in the air fryer with lots of tips.
How many wings will fit in the air fryer
Again, it all depends on your air fryer and the size of the basket. In my Ninja Foodi, I was able to fit the entire package of wings (16 wings in total).
Don’t layer the wings. If you have a smaller air fryer, prepare this recipe in batches.
Can I use my oven instead to bake the chicken wings
No air fryer? No problem. Use your oven. Prepare the wings as per the directions and then bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour at 400F. Make sure you to use your meat thermometer to check for doneness.
Can I double or triple this recipe
Yes, you can make a larger quantity if you need to. Double/triple the ingredient amounts and cook the recipe in batches. The air fry time and temperature will be the same.
How to get the crispiest chicken wings in the air fryer
The most important thing you need to is make sure your chicken wings are dry before tossing them in the oil mixture. Pat them dry on both sides with a paper towel.
Also, by cooking them at a high heat (400F) for not as long as a lower heat, they will cook quicker and not be dry.
I also love the addition of Parmesan cheese to add another layer of crisp to the exterior. So yummy!
Store any leftover chicken wings in a covered container in the fridge for up to three days.
You can also freeze them in a freezer safe container for up to three months.
How to reheat chicken wings in the air fryer
Set your air fryer to 360F with a cooking time of 8 minutes. Spritz the leftover wings with a little olive oil spray to help revive the crispiness. Flip the wings at the 4 minute mark.
Alternatively, you could simply reheat them in the microwave for 2 to 3 minutes, but they won’t be as tasty.
Quick Recipe Tips
- Don’t stack the wings in the air fryer. Make multiple batches if you need to.
- Make sure to dry the wings completely with paper towel.
- Don’t forget to flip the wings at the halfway mark so they cook more evenly.
- Use a meat thermometer if you aren’t sure if they are completely cooked. Safety first!
- Buy the already split wings to save on time. If you can’t no worries! It will only add a few extra minutes of prep time to the recipe.
Seasonings for Air Fryer Chicken Wings
Really the sky is the limit on what seasonings and flavors you can use! Some ideas to mix and match:
- Onion salt
- Garlic powder
- Cayenne pepper
- Chili powder
- Blackened seasoning
What to serve with chicken wings
- Fresh veggies (celery sticks, carrots)
- Onion Rings
- Stovetop Mac and Cheese
- Chicken Fried Rice
- Macaroni Salad
- Cheeseburger Salad
- French Fries
- Sweet Potato Home Fries
More Chicken Wing Recipes
Check out my Air Fryer Chicken Wings web story.
You’ll also like these Air Fryer Crab Rangoon.
If you make the recipe, rate it on the recipe card below and tag me on Instagram and use #simplystacie. I like sharing the photos on my Instagram stories!
- 1 1/2 lb chicken wings, split into flats and drummettes
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon pepper
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan, grated
- Preheat air fryer (if your model requires it) to 400F. Set cooking time to 16 minutes.
- Pat wings dry with a paper towel. Add to a bowl.
- In a small bowl, stir together extra virgin olive oil, garlic salt, lemon pepper and Parmesan cheese. Pour over wings and toss to cover.
- Place wings in a single layer in air fryer basket. You may need to do a couple batches depending on the size of your air fryer.
- Air fry for 8 minutes and the flip wings over with tongs. Air fry for an additional 8 minutes (16 minutes total cooking time). Check for doneness and see if they need any additional times as air fryer cooking time vary by model.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce and celery sticks, if desired.
I used a Ninja Foodi 5 in 1 Air Fryer.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
New Star Foodservice 42917 Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons and Cups Combo, Set of 8, Silver
DAILY KISN Premium Stainless-Steel Locking Grill Tongs 17-inch , Sturdy, Heavy Duty Tong Set - Great for Cooking, Grilling, and Barbecue (BBQ)
Ninja Foodi AG301 5-in-1 Indoor Electric Countertop Grill with 4-Quart Air Fryer, Roast, Bake, Dehydrate, and Cyclonic Grilling Technology
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 696Total Fat: 55gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 33gCholesterol: 150mgSodium: 1862mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 1gSugar: 0gProtein: 32g