Disclosure: I was not financially compensated for this post. I received a sample of the product for review purposes. The opinions are my own, based on my personal experience with the product.
I’ve been watching what I eat since February 2012. That’s when I started my weight loss journey to lose the extra bulk I’d put on since my divorce. I’ve lost over 55 lbs, but would still like to lose another 10 to 15 lbs. I’m almost there and that’s what keeps me motivated to continue. One thing I did was drastically cut the sugar I eat. I’ve been loosely following the Suzanne Somers diet and she recommends cutting processed sugar completely from your diet. She states sugar makes you fat and I’m proof it does! I noticed benefits almost right away by changing the way I eat.
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup mik
- 3/4 cup maple syrup plus 2 extra tablespoons for brushing the muffins
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 tablespoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Prick the sweet potato a few times with a paring knife or a fork. Bake until soft (when a paring knife can cut through with zero resistance), about 1 hour. Set the sweet potato aside until it’s completely cool.
- Peel the sweet potato, discard the skin and mash the flesh in a mixing bowl with a fork. Whisk the olive oil, milk, maple syrup and vanilla into the sweet potato.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, five-spice powder and salt. Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners or grease a muffin tin and evenly distribute the muffin batter among the cups.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Brush the tops with the extra maple syrup and bake an additional 5 minutes or until a toothpick comes out fo the centre clean.
- Let the muffins cool before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 230Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 392mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 1gSugar: 14gProtein: 3g