Southwestern Turkey 5 Bean Chili
Have I mentioned how much of a soup lover I am? I’m pretty sure I did….ya’ll I’m like the biggest soup lover ever!! I eat soup year round. I live in the hot desert of Phoenix, AZ where it gets 122 degrees Fahrenheit here in the summer and I’ll STILL eat a bowl of soup!
It’s a little cooler here right now…I mean it’s January (our winter month) and it’s in the 70’s during the day. I know, I’m bragging BUT the beauty about this recipe right now is that it’s winter in most of North America and everyone is enjoying soup!
So…I made you guys a new soup recipe!! This Southwestern Turkey 5 Bean Chili reminds me of my Southwest Stew, but it’s a bit different. This Southwestern Turkey 5 Bean Chili is full of protein and fiber! If you’re looking for that perfectly healthy powerhouse soup, this is it!
5 different types of beans in this one ya’ll….pinto, kidney, black, garbanzo and Great Northern beans. Yep all 5 are in this chili! And the other amazingly important thing about this soup is it has a ton of vegetables! And they are HIDDEN so your kids will never know they are in there! We’re talking carrots, red bell pepper, onion, garlic and kale! Ok, so they’ll see the kale, but they won’t taste it. The beans and spices in this chili take over in this recipe! (Don’t worry, it’s not a spicy chili!)
Want another reason why you’ll love this recipe? VEGAN and VEGETARIAN….yeah you can make a VEGAN and a VEGETARIAN version! Just leave out the ground turkey and you’re set! I use vegetable broth for this chili base! Oh yeah…so versatile!
Ok…I’ll give you one more reason why I love this Southwestern Turkey 5 Bean Chili. Here is the United States, we have this thing called “Super Bowl” and I know you’ve heard people reference “Game Day Chili”. Well, this is my game day chili. Why is this my game day chili? I’m glad you asked!! Because I take Frito Lay Scoops and literally eat this chili as a dip! It’s phenomenal! You’re kids (and husbands) are going to LOVE this part!
I love to top my Southwestern Turkey 5 Bean Chili with fresh grated mild cheddar cheese. Some other amazing toppings for this chili are fresh cut avocado and sour cream. It’s just delish!
Oh…and did I mention that this chili is gluten free? Crazy healthy, full of protein and fiber, gluten free and an option to make it vegan and vegetarian?! Ya’ll it just doesn’t get any better than this!!
You are going to LOVE this chili! If you’re looking for more of my chili recipes, you have to check out my Slow-Cooker Southwestern Style Chili and Misty’s Chili. I can’t wait to hear how you make this Southwestern Turkey 5 Bean Chili at your house so leave me a comment and let me know! Happy Eats!!
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 3 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon smoked Paprika
- 3 cups chopped kale
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 cup Pace Picante Sauce (mild or medium)
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (15 ounce) can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can Great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can corn, drained and rinsed
- In a large skillet, brown the turkey meat. Drain any excess fat.
- Using the same large skillet you cooked the turkey meat in, heat the olive oil.
- Add the chopped onion, garlic and carrots and sauté for 5 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in the tomato paste, oregano, chili powder, salt, Paprika and kale. Mix well until all ingredients are combined.
- Add the meat and spice mixture into a large pot.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and stir well.
- Bring to a boil and then turn to simmer. Cover and cook on medium to medium-low for 45 minutes.
- Top chili with your favorite toppings such as fresh grated cheddar cheese, avocado and sour cream! Serve with crackers, tortilla chips and Frito lays!
- Cuisinart 622-30G Chef's Classic Nonstick Hard-Anodized 12-Inch Skillet with Glass Cover
- New Star Foodservice 42917 Stainless Steel 4pcs Measuring Cups and Spoons Combo Set
- OXO Good Grips Wooden Corner Spoon & Scraper
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1 bowl
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 237 Total Fat: 6.9g Saturated Fat: 1.2g Unsaturated Fat: 4.2g Cholesterol: 26.1mg Sodium: 878.9mg Carbohydrates: 29.1g Fiber: 8.7g Sugar: 6.6g Protein: 16.2g