Double Orange Muffins
Are mornings the busiest time of the day for your family? For us I would have to say definitely! Both my kids love to sleep in so it’s challenging to get them up and active. I’m also not moving too quickly either and always feel so rushed. I hate that feeling!
I’m definitely not alone though. As a sponsor of Breakfast Clubs of Canada, Minute Maid conducted a poll to examine the breakfast habits of Canadian families across the country as well taking a look at how each region treats breakfast.
Taking a look at Canada as whole, the poll results are as follows:
- Eight in 10 Canadian families don’t sit down for breakfast together
- While most Canadian parents would feel worried (41%), guilty (27%) or disappointed (31%) if their children went a day without breakfast, 14% of parents still skip breakfast themselves.
- Two in five Canadian parents say their biggest breakfast challenge is lack of time to prepare; a third say it’s a lack of time to eat in the morning at all.
- About half of Canadian families spend less than 10 minutes preparing breakfast and more than half spend less than 15 minutes eating it
- 19 out of 20 Canadian parents feel it is important that their family eat a well-balanced breakfast; 94% are confident they understand what a well-balanced breakfast is
I can relate to all of these points! We rarely sit down together for breakfast and I know I would feel incredibly guilty if I didn’t feed my kids in the morning. I have no problems skipping breakfast myself though. Lack of time is definitely a factor and I think if I set the alarm earlier and didn’t hit snooze, I would be able to prepare a healthier breakfast.
The survey also took a look at how Canadians treat breakfast in each region. Check out the slide show below. Do the results for your province reflect breakfast for your family?
If you are looking for healthy breakfast meal ideas, I encourage you to check out Minute Maid’s Recipe Box. That’s where I found this recipe for Double Orange Muffins! They can be made the night before to save on time. They are healthy AND they are delicious!
Double Orange Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup oat bran
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed*
- 3 tbsp packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 can Minute Maid® Frozen Orange Juice Concentrate, thawed
- 1 cup finely shredded carrot**
- 3 tbsp large-flake rolled oats
- 1 tbsp packed brown sugar
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp cold butter
- 1 tbsp finely shredded carrot**
In large bowl, whisk together flour, oat bran, flaxseed, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, ginger and cinnamon.
In separate bowl, whisk together eggs, yogurt, thawed orange juice concentrate and 1 tbsp water until smooth.
Pour over dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Stir in carrot.
Divide among 12 greased muffin cups.
Stir together oats, sugar and flour; rub in butter with fingertips until mixture is in coarse crumbs. Mix in carrot.
Divide over tops of muffins. Bake in 350°F (180°C) oven until muffins spring back when pressed, about 15 minutes***.
*I used whole flaxseeds since my local store didn’t carry ground flaxseed
**I bought a package of matchstick carrots instead
***It took my muffins about 22 minutes to bake completely.
Connect with Minute Maid on Pinterest to discover more delicious breakfast ideas.
Disclosure: I was financially compensated for this post. The opinions are my own.